Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Husband thinks 9 year old will be bored in Rome/Sorrento/Naples. Do you?

Jan 9th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

I have been wanting to see Pompeii for a long time and my husband has no desire to go. So I asked my two daughters (21 and 9) and they certainly want to go. We're going during their spring breaks in March.

The airfare is purchased and the rooms are reserved. We'll fly into Naples and spend 4 nights in Sorrento, take the train to Rome. Spend 2 nights and fly out of Rome.

Now my husband keeps telling me the 9 year old will not have fun. She's going to get bored looking at all that old stuff. And she's going to get tired walking around.

Of course she'll get tired - we all will. But I do think she will have fun or I wouldn't be taking her with us.

Do any of you have some tales you could tell me about taking your 8-9-10 year old to these cities? Maybe if I share some of your stories with him he will feel differently. It sure takes the fun out of talking about this trip when he is so negative!

Thanks
Jan 9th, 2004, 10:56 AM

From reading you post seems like that is exactly what he is trying to do: take the fun out of the trip by talking negatively.

Your daughter will have a ball, don't listen to the husband in this case, tell him he can have the house to himself and do what he has always wanted to do as you will be doing the same thing with your daughters.

Isn't it nice to get marital as well as travel advice here? One stop postings.
Jan 9th, 2004, 11:02 AM
mms

We have taken our 2 children on trips to Europe, including Rome...and they have never been bored. We began when they were 4 and 7 and the most recent trip they were 7 and 10. Our kids have never been too tired to do everything we wanted...you just need to take breaks and recoup and they will be fine. That is no different that for adults though...we all need breaks. Go and enjoy and tell your husband that attitude is 99.99% of everything.
Jan 9th, 2004, 11:07 AM

Sundowner, if it was MY husband I'd tell him to stop using a child as an excuse and give him an option of staying at home.
Jan 9th, 2004, 11:08 AM
dln

Sundowner, go to Yahoo or any other search engine and type in "travel with children to Italy." You will be absolutely amazed at all the information out there about bringing kids along on trips, and you'd better believe it's fun! Maybe if you showed your husband some of these sites he'd realize that your younger daughter will have a wonderful time in Italy. We've been dragging our two (now 15 and 16 years) to Europe since they were babies, and I've never heard either one ever complain of boredom.

My mother took my daughter to Rome, Cinque Terre, and Florence when she was 12, and now I have a diehard Italianophile on my hands! Next year, when she is a sophomore, she's going on the Latin Club trip to Rome--with her own money, no less. Think of it, sundowner, what kid could resist a country with gelato and pizza on every corner?

Jan 9th, 2004, 11:09 AM

My son was 10 whenwe went to Italy (3 yeras ago). It's his favorite trip to date (I think because of the food!). I would consider though changing it to at least 3 nights ROme. Rome is a very lively city, and all the ancient history can even please a 9 year old. There are many post her regarding Rome with kids. Do a text search here for some great site-seeing ideas. And definitely go to Pompeii. We find when travelling with kids, we definitely need to have some down time so they can either unwind, or just run around. You'll all have a great time.
Jan 9th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Wow! What a downer!

Each of my two kids was in Italy at the age of nine - one trip to Venice and the lakes and a second to Rome and surroundings. The LOVED it! Because they grew up spending a good deal of time in France, they obviously made comparisons, and Italy won every time. They'd go to Italy in a heartbeat just for the food, but they were genuinely fascinated by the ruins in Rome and Ostia Antica, the shops, the seashore and lake towns, the castles and hilltowns, etc.

I don't understand why history has to be boring.

As for getting tired, well, that's just bizarre. You'll likely be a lot more tired than she will, and if you're tired you head for a café or grab a gelato and sit on a bench. Problem solved.
Jan 9th, 2004, 11:10 AM

My sister and I travelled with our parents from a very early age and since neither of my parents are interested in beaches or pools we spent our holidays visiting places of interest.

When we were kids we went to places like Alaska, Arizona, Utah, California, British Columbia which were a mixture of scenery and sights. We also went to more fascinating places like Peru and we absolutely loved visiting historical sites such as Machu Picchu (I can remember very vividly the feelings I experienced) as well as seeing bustling local towns where people dressed, talked and lived such different lives from our own and we were also awed by our visit to a tribe within the Amazon forest. We went to Paris (I was 11 my sister was 8) and revelled in the architecture, the food and the famous landmarks. Again I remember our first visit to Place du Tertre, full of artists and visitors. We always had a lot of fun and I just don't recall us being bored or disinterested.

It was these family holidays that developed my deep and abiding love of travel and I will forever be grateful to my parents for helping me to understand so early what a boon travel can be to our lives. My priorities as an adult remain firmly fixed on friends, family and seeing the world, as they have been from a very early age.

Unless your daughter is expressing negative thoughts about accompanying you or showing little interest in the sights you are discussing, I'm sure it would be a great experience for her.
Jan 9th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Just as a tip that your younger daughter might like, the Positano beach is full of sea glass I had a great time picking out of the beach. I've got it in a bowl at home and love looking at it. Even my husband got into it. There are also boat trips to either the blue grotto on Capri or the emerald grotto on the mainland. Cheesy to some but I think a kid would love it. Tell your husband to stop being a drip and improve his attitude!
Jan 9th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Your daughter will love it, but make sure to combine the adult activities with kids act. too. Check kids sites and visit one.
I was taken by my parents to Europe for the first time by age 7. I love it.
All that history, architecture, monu-
ments,I could not wait to be back home to tell all my friends. It's a great experience , it teaches them alot and
she will never forget.
She will not get bored!!!!
Have fun!!!!
Jan 9th, 2004, 11:55 AM

We took our two boys, then 7 and 10 to Italy in 2002. Italy is very child friendly and ther is no reason for any child to be bored. The only difficulties we experienced were with jet lag (we flew from the west coast of North America)and there were a few days when Rome was quite hot. You will not have that problem in March. Just make sure your child is well hydrated and has a hat. Take breaks as necessary. As to jet lag- that affected all of us and it was over in a couple days. I would spend longer in Rome. Our youngest son was very impressed with the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel and all the other attractions and no doubt your 9 year old will be too!
Jan 9th, 2004, 12:09 PM

No, I don't think the nine year old will be bored at all. My daughters have been to Italy twice, the last time this past April when they were eight and five. On our next trip, we are planning to take them to the Amalfi Coast area and Pompeii. Here is a link to my trip report from April:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...chText=grinisa
Jan 9th, 2004, 12:14 PM
JonJon

If you haven't already, you might ASK your nine-year-old what SHE thinks about all of this. If she's excited then you can forget your husband's objections. Her obvious delight once you get there will be evidence enough that he was incorrect...more so I would think than any stories about other children who aren't yours.

Jan 9th, 2004, 12:22 PM

Ah, the joys of marriage! Is there a chance the negativity is hubby's form of pouting?

In any case, I can't imagine that your 9 year old will be bored. Good advice to ask her about her interests. Also, in my experience, kids enjoy more when they've been prepared for at least some of what they'll see & do. We're not talking school type classes here, but, once you determine her interests & match them with some of the places you'll be visiting, give her some books, photos, internet sites, travel or historical videos, movies filmed on site, etc. Be creative! & have a great time!
Jan 9th, 2004, 12:28 PM

I can't imagine NOT taking your daughter! Why would any parent not want such a wonderful experience with their children! And she will LOVE it, not just the sight seeing but what about all the time she gets to spend with you & her sister! She'll never forget it!

I have only one child, now 18 and we took her everywhere! At 6 she made her first "overseas" to England and then at 7 my father (her grandfather) took the 2 of us to Zimbabwe for 2 weeks. We have been all over the world together since then.

Children learn things when they travel that they just wouldn't otherwise. Once a teacher said to me "Angela is just so wise for her age, she's just picked up so much from all the trips you've taken"

Go, have fun!
Jan 9th, 2004, 12:35 PM

sundowner:

Be sure to give her a journal and have her record her experiences and paste in tickets and receipts and menus and such.

When she comes home and shows it to Dad, he may realize the folly of his ways. And it will be something for her to treasure forever.
Jan 9th, 2004, 12:37 PM

Depends on the kid. My 9-year-old liked Rome & Venice plenty, and talks about it often. But there were times on the trip when she was bored and whiny.

It's your call.
Jan 9th, 2004, 12:39 PM
dln

StCirq, that's what my daughter did when she went to Italy, and you're right about it being an excellent idea. Actually, it's a great thing for everyone on the trip as well.

Just thought of this angle--your 9 year old daughter will be far more bored sitting at home with Dad on spring break than she would be with you, sundowner!

Jan 9th, 2004, 12:46 PM

My daughter is 11 and we just returned from Rome/Florence. This was her third trip to Europe in three years and she LOVES shopping there. She likes the attractions too and I never noticed any boredom.

Good luck, Mike
Jan 9th, 2004, 12:51 PM

A couple of suggestions... rent some videos and get books on specific areas you'll be visiting, Pompeii being a prime example. You can explain to her about life back then and exactly how long ago it really was. Talking about it, learning together about facts then seeing it in person will bring it to life for her. On an ever more fun note, while in Italy, my son made it his goal to find the best pizza in the world. He thought it was the greatest treat that I allowed him to eat pizza everday if he wanted. BTW, he found the best pizza in Florence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO