Search

VE Day in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Kay
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VE Day in Paris

does anyone know what kinds of celebrations I can expect to see on VE Day in Paris? I think it is on May 8.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:30 PM
pop

I have nothing to contribute but I was just struck by the irony of the title of your question under the current UN situation.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:36 PM

We arrived there on VE last last May. There might be some ceremonies in the morning at the Arc de Triomphe and elsewhere, which would have occurred before we checked into our hotel and went out for a stroll late morning. Two things worth noting and observing on that day:<BR>1. They fly a huge French flag within the Arc de Triomphe which is a most impressive site. (I was told it's only done twice a year.)<BR>2. You'll have the opportunity to see the French at their leisure, with families out strolling and enjoying the day no matter where you go, especially in the parks. We enjoyed the experience.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:38 PM

One other thing: As you stroll around Paris, you will see memorial plaques honoring French patriots adorning buildings everyone. There will be a memorial bouquet with each plaque.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 02:03 PM

My advice--&gt;do not, I repeat DO NOT even consider going to Versailles that day. I made that mistake two years ago (we were in Paris only three nights and it was the only day we could go) and the crowds were Disney-on-school-vacation-like! Scores of French at leisure (it's a day off work, is May 8 a weekday?) chose to go to the public areas (which are truly beautiful, wooded spaces) adjoining Versailles as well. <BR><BR>We saw the flag at the Arc de Triomphe (and it was nearly falling off). <BR><BR>Paris is beautiful, enjoy your time there.<BR><BR>Linda
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:32 PM

Lidna's advice about not going to Versailles on VE Day would also apply to the major museums and other sites as well for the same reason.