Reload this Page >

Paris horse riding

Search

Paris horse riding

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:24 AM
marge

Paris horse riding

We are planning a visit to Paris with a _very_ horse-oriented 14 year old (who also plans on riding in London's Hyde Park the week before we get to Paris).<BR><BR>Is there anyplace in Paris where the public can rent horses to ride? I have found vague references of horseback riding on the website for the Paris Hilton next to the Eiffel Tower, as well as riding in Bois de Boulogne park.<BR><BR>We plan on visiting the Living Museum of the Horse in Chantilly; any other recommendations for horsey places of interest would also be appreciated.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Christina

I don't think it's possible for the general public to rent a horse by the hour in Paris. I'm pretty sure you have to belong to a riding club and have a paid permit (which covers insurance). There are clubs in Bois de Boulogne and Bois de Vincennes, as well as other places. I think the most likely spot near Paris for general rentals could be around Fontainebleau or maybe Versailles, but I don't know of a specific place -- there are many more options in more rural departements, just not around Paris.<BR><BR>If you want to get into this, you could look in the French yellow pages (www.pagesjaunes.fr) under "centres equestres" or "clubs hippiques" for addresses and phone numbers. Some other URLs that could be of help are those of the French Federation of Equitation, which contains the Comite National de Tourisme Equestre (www.ffe.com/te)<BR>the famous French riding school academy is in Saumur in the Loire (Ecole Nationale d'Equestre) and they have a URL and might have something going on, I don't know:<BR>www.cadrenoir.tm.fr<BR><BR>Some French magazines or web sites for horse interest are:<BR>www.cheval-news.com<BR>www.lesaboteur.com<BR>Coincidentally, the French Foreign Ministry has a monthly magazine and their December issue was all about horses in France--if you can read French, here's the link:<BR>www.france.diplomatie.fr/label_france<BR><BR>Also, they used to put out a tourist brochure on this subject called "Decouvrez la France a Cheval" and now someone has put that on the web, I think you can download it:<BR>www.france-a-cheval.com<BR><BR>I believe that brochure only lists options outside the Ile de France, as I thought.<BR><BR>I saw some mention of "horse riding" under services for the Hilton, I guess that's what you meant. Well, perhaps they have some memberships purchased at those French riding clubs (eg, the one in the Bois de Boulogne) for their guests' use (with a good fee, I'm sure). If that is important, you might ask them about that service and then stay there. That isn't a bad hotel from what I've heard if you don't mind large, modern-ish chains with an American-ish slant (of course I'm sure the staff and attitudes will be basically French; I know they try to gear their restaurants to American style, but you don't have to eat there). Sometimes I think you can get discounts on that hotel. I really think if that can be done, it may be your only possibility in Paris for actual riding.<BR><BR>There was riding out at Parc de Villette for kids, but I think that's only for French kids who sign up for a series of lessons or summer camp. <BR><BR>I can't really think of anything else horsey right in Paris, Chantilly is the best bet. I used to take lessons and ride some, which is why I kind of know some of this stuff, having checked it out for riding vacations (there are some good ones in Provence and the Loire).

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:40 AM
marge

Christina - thank you for the very helpful information and taking the time to give me several web links. My daughter is also in her third year of French at school and will really appreciate the web sites and the brochure link - even if they don't lead to a riding opportunity while we are there.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:01 AM
Fred

For horseback riding in Paris:<BR><BR>Centre Equestre de la Cartoucherie <BR>Bois de Vincennes <BR>Cartoucherie 75012 <BR>Tel: 01-43-74-61-25 <BR>That's in the middle of the Bois de Vincennes<BR>For more Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com