Reload this Page >

What is the l'Etoile in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Mary

I frequently see referrals to the l'Etoile around the Arc de Triomphe area of Paris, but I am not exactly certain what it is. Some where I saw it is the traffic circle around the Arc also known as Place Charles de Gaulle. WHAT IS THE L'ETOILE?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:42 AM
pedro

"L'Etoile" means "the star" in French. Pickup a Paris city map and try to figure out why.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:44 AM
xxx

I'll venture a guess. The traffic circle has roads that radiate off from it and from above it looks like a star.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Andre

Mary,<BR><BR>You guessed correctly: the HUGE traffic circle around the Arc de Triomphe is officially called the Place Charles de Gaulle, but is commonly referred to as the Etoile (French for star), due to the configuration of the intersection, with the various avenues (12?) radiating from the Arc de Triomphe like the branches of a star(you get a great view of this from the top of the Arc de Triomphe).<BR><BR>Andre

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:48 AM
pedro

brilliant guess

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Pedro

IMHO, the view from the top of Arc de Triomphe is more spectacular than the views from the Eiffel Tower. The only problem is the stairs you have to climb up, but it is worth the effort.<BR><BR>Adieu, au revoir

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:57 AM
clairobscur

"Place de l'Etoile" (called that way for the obvious reason pointed at in previous posts) was the former name of what is now officially "place Charles de Gaulle". Pretty much everybody in Paris still call it that way...

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Uncle Sam

Among other things it is noted for being the home of the most unbelievable traffic jam you will ever see in your life!<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 03:35 AM
Ian

<BR>No, US. That's called Naples.