Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is the best French Onion Soup you've had in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love French onion soup! Did any that you had at a particular establishment while in Paris stand out to you as particularly fabulous? Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
my best was at the Au Pied de Cochon
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:56 PM
DAX

What made the soup at Au Pied de Cochon to be the best? Can you give specific descriptions? I've never even thought of ordering onion soup when in Paris, maybe I've been missing something really great.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Isn't that restaurant know for it's pigs feet?
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 04:56 AM
ira

Ditto Au Pied de Cochon.

It is known for its onion soup.

Yes, it is also known for its pigs feet - also very good.

Dax asks,

>What made the soup at Au Pied de Cochon to be the best?

The color is a deep brown, with a sheen of lipid.

The texture is quite good, with a very pleasant mouthfeel.

An excellent aroma, with hints of herbs and spices, a mildly buttery flavor and good cheese taste.

A long finish.

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 05:36 AM

It was BBQ French Onion Soup at the View Restruant in Lake Placid, NY. It beat out any soup from Paris.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 05:58 AM

My best was in 1958 at Les Halles in the wee hours of the morning. Oh, what a night that was!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 06:08 AM
tod

Looking forward to getting more suggestions other than Au Pied de Cochon. I sat next to a gentleman tucking into a gelatinous pair of pigs feet and that quelled my curiosity about this delicacy!
As for the onion soup: A couple further along the seating were having the soup. It may be delicious but the quantity of mozarella? cheese covering the top and sides of the bowl was positively
over-the-top! I watched through the corner of my eye as they negotiated through the thick melted gooey cheese and I was sadly put off.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:23 AM

I had a scrumptious bowl at Deux Magots. It was topped with gruyere not mozzarella. I'm sure the fact that I was wet and cold made it taste even better.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM

you have all just made me hungry
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:41 AM

French onion soup is one of those things that makes me nuts.

If it was English you'd all turn your noses up at it and call it what it is - Bovril with cheese on toast floating in it. But because it's french we have to pretend it's a culinary delicacy.

As I have said many times if mushy peas were called "puree de pois, facon paysanne" you'd be all over them like a rash.

If you want to experience the full onion soup experience; go to an english grocers and eat alternatively a Bovril crisp followed by a cheese and onion crisp. Them pour boiling water in your mouth.

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Ira, you forgot to mention the impudent insouciance of the actual caramelized onions, cheeky with just the right touch of audacity.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cochon's onion soup IS GRUYERE.
Why put down this particular soup when you haven't tried it. Like Ira I rapsodize it!
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM

Well, the best I've ever had has been at my house, but in Paris , another vote for Au Pied de Cochon
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:17 AM
ira

Hi JV,

My bad, you are correct.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Is the soup at Au Pied de Cochon so covered w/ bread and chees that there is no broth? I like the soup w/ lots of broth and gruyere but not to much bread. Who has that in Paris?
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM

My husband and I would like to try Pied de Couchon's Onion Soup for lunch. Has anyone gone there and gotten just a bowl of the onion soup at lunch time? I'm wondering if that's accepted at meal time, since it's a restaurant and not a cafe. I've read about people popping in there at all hours for a bowl of onion soup, but what about at lunch time, when they could be seating someone who will be ordering a complete meal?

Sandy
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi y'all,

I'm not quite of CW's view about FOS but it's pretty easy to make yourself.

take two large onions and slice thinly. saute them gently in butter/oil [stops the butter burning] until they are brown and soft, adding a sprinkling of sugar to get that caramalised effect.

once they are browned to your satisfaction, add a tin [or two] of beef consome [cambells make a condensed one or there's baxters, both are good] and warm through.

while that's happening, toast some bread that's smaller in diameter than your soup bowl, grate some cheese [gruyere if you've got it, cheddar if not] toast the cheese on top of the bread, and then place in the bowl and pour the soup on it.

or perch it on top.

all right, it's not les halles, but it's not bad.

regards, ann
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM

marking
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM

I sent back a horrid French onion soup at a restaurant in the 5th arrondisement and I have never done that at home. It really was terrible! It was in that really toruisty area where they have all those Middle eastern or North African restaurants which can be yummy by the way. But I have not had it since in Paris and I bet it is good. Ill have to try the Au pied du cochon. Don't laugh but the 99 Restaurant anywhere in Massachusetts makes a decent one. If ever in Quebec City, Aux Anciens Canadiens makes a superb soupe aux oignons gratinée.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -