Vauxhall

Jun 12th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Vauxhall

I will be spending 2 weeks in London in Sept. I will be traveling by myself. I have accomodations in the Vauxhall area. How safe is that area?
Jun 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM

Where in Vauxhall? A more exact address would help pinpoint it. Some bits are posh-ish, some bits less so. I wouldn't have said it's a hotbed of crime, but parts of it lack charm, and parts of it are busy main roads, and so on.
Jun 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

I think it it close to the New Covant Garden Market
Jun 12th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Hmm. Do you have a postcode?
Jun 12th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Does anyone know if anything remains of the historic Vauxhall Pleasure Grounds of the 18th and 19th century?
Jun 12th, 2012, 02:16 PM

I don't think anything remains... And the area around the flower Market is quite modern with little charm...but convenient for transit.
Jun 12th, 2012, 06:29 PM

ah well... so sad.
Thanks, jamikins!
Jun 12th, 2012, 11:08 PM

>>Does anyone know if anything remains of the historic Vauxhall Pleasure Grounds of the 18th and 19th century?<<

The Museum of London has a gallery which combines some of its 18th century costume collection with video in which actors play out some of the conversations and assignations that might have taken place, in a design mimicking trees and colonnades to give you something of the atmosphere.

What remains of Spring Gardens now is just an ordinary open space.

As for the OP, I can only suggest using Google Streetview for the actual address.
Jun 13th, 2012, 09:20 AM

You're the best, Patrick! I've never been to the Museum of London and will check it out this time around. Vauxhall was a jumpin' place. Thanks very much!
Jun 13th, 2012, 11:11 AM

Oh my! How have I not been here before?! THanks so much.

I'm hoping some London fodorites might be up for a GTG in September while I'm there. I'll post an inquiry closer to the month. Would love to meet up with the nice (or colorful) Brits on the board. I can't shake my regret over not being able to participate in the one a year ago when I was traveling with friends.
Jun 14th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. The Museum of London is very high on my list.

The postal code for where I am staying is SW8, if that is at all helpful.
Jun 14th, 2012, 11:13 AM

My sister lives in vauxall sw8 (fentiman road). Its a very convenient area and technically u can walk to west end as not that far (although easier to tube it). She has been there for 4 years and has been fine and enjoyed living there although the other poster was correct in that some areas lack charm and can be a bit rough.

There are a couple of nice parks to walk through. Be careful walking by yourself as her bf was mugged a few months ago when walking from the pub to her flat less than a minute away for his phone and wallet. (police caught them within an hour and they had done 5 others that night!). There is a good police presence too. But that was the first incident they had had in 4 years so its not all bad and more bad luck i think as anywhere in a central city location always runs a risk. I always feel safe walking by myself but would be more careful at night time and go with someone else if really late. Although the area round the station tends to stay busy even late.
Jun 14th, 2012, 11:14 AM

The postal code for where I am staying is SW8, if that is at all helpful.

No it isn't, we need the full post code eg SW8 3AB.