Vatican tour to cruise

Oct 7th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Vatican tour to cruise

Hello! I know there are several postings on this, but I still need some help.

Does anyone know how often the train runs and how long the trip takes from the Vatican to the cruise?

Is there a tour that begins earlier than 9:30, and is it reasonable to do a 9:30-12:30 tour and still make it to the ship by 3 (5PM sail)?

Lastly is there somewhere at the Vatican we can lock our luggage or a tour company that will store out luggage without us having to go back to the hotel?
Oct 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM

There's no train station at the Vatican; you'll need to take a taxi to the train station. I haven't seen any storage facilities at Vatican City, but perhaps someone else has and will let you know.
Oct 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Hello biddy's, there is a train station at the Vatican but it is only used for very special occassions I believe. It is not a used as a train station for "daily trains".
Oct 7th, 2007, 02:54 PM

There is a regular Trenitalia train station on the far side of the Vatican from the Vatican Museums. It is not within Vatican City, and it is called Roma San Pietro.

I'm not aware of any luggage storage facility at the Vatican, neither at St. Peter's Basilica nor at the Vatican Museums. (There is a storage facility for people taking the Scavi tour, but not for people embarking on a cruise.)

Trains - from almost any train station in Rome, including Termini, Trastevere and San Pietro - leave more or less every 30 minutes. They take about 50 minutes. From the Civitavecchia train station to the port is a hike; from the entrance to the port to your ship is probably another hike.
Oct 7th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

I guess I too need to investigate the limo service. I hope this comes together for us.

Do you know the earliest it is possible to get on a Vatican tour?
Oct 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM

I've never taken a Vatican tour, but in addition to the Vatican Museums' own tour - www.vatican.va - there are many tour companies that offer them. You'll have to google for them and look at their starting times. Some that have been mentioned here are Through Eternity, Icon Tours, Angel Tours (you can search the forum for reviews).

I've been happy with a limo service I've used several times between the airport and the center of Rome, and I think their rates are competitive:
www.romeshuttlelimousine.com
Oct 7th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Trenitalia lists Roma S. Pietro as having baggage storage. Click on In the Region, then Lazio, servizi in stazione, and R.
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I would never, never figured this out on my own. What region is Civitavecchia in?

I will e-mail them about luggage storage. Our time is too short in Rome. We want to maximize it, and come back.

Also is there a similar site for the bus system.