Best Way to see Vatican when on Med Cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, my in-laws, my daughter and I are taking a Celebrity cruise from Barcelona to Venice this summer. The ship stops in "Rome." I thought we would just book shore excursions through the cruise line but it seems many use private drivers or tours in Italy.

Has any one been on a cruise ship tour that includes the Vatican? If so, what kind of line did you have to wait in? Does the excursion operator have the Vatican tickets already? Were you able to get entry to the Museum, Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basillica?

What would your recommendation be? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:13 PM

When do you land in the port (which is some distance outside of Rome), and when do you have to be back to the ship?

I can't answer myself, but I'm sure that info will help others answer.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The port for Rome is Civitavecchia which is an hour train ride from Rome. You can easily train (about 10€ per person) from Civitavecchia and get off at S Pietro if you want to tour St. Peter's/Vatican on your own (buy your return tickets at the same time). The Vatican museum can have long lines and the Sistine Chapel is in the museum. You might prefer hiring a shuttle/limo driver and just taking the Vatican Museums guided tour which will let you bypass the lines.
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...zi_Visite.html

www.romeshuttlelimousine.com
www.limoservicerome.com
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM

We did this same cruise three years ago. You can take the train from Civitavecchia to Stazzione San Pietro. From there, it is a short walk to St. Peter's Square. You will likely beat the tours from the cruise ship. I would suggest booking a tour of the Vatican Museums to ensure prompt entry.

We were in St. Peter's Square by 9am, and climbed up the dome of the basilica before walking around to the museum entrance. After the tour, we exited from the Sistine Chapel and returned to the basilica.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM

Guidebook writer's tips: the BIRG ticket that you should buy at Civitavecchia station costs only 9 euro and assures you the entire day's bus, metro and train costs. What a difference from the "official" excursions. Get to St.Peter's and take it on your own, the Basilica (lines will become long mid-morning but only for security ), visit the Basilica, then go around the corner to get in the Vatican Museum lines...or else check out Castle Sant'Angelo, Piazza Navona, have a gelato and lunch..before heading back to Civitavecchia with the same ticket.
Check my website for more insider tips...www.elegantetruria.com