Vatican City world's worst for crime

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:29 AM
HolySee

Vatican City world's worst for crime

How ironic!<BR><BR>http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_737886.html?menu=

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:39 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

To paraphrase Willy Sutton about banks,<BR>&quot; cause that is where all of the diverted tourists hang out&quot;.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:40 AM
vmv

A critical reader of this article would ask:<BR><BR>1) &quot;whose statistics&quot;? Where are they from thess &quot;new statistics&quot;? The article doesn't say they are from the Holy See itself<BR><BR>2) can one really compare misdemeanors of shoplifting, pickpocketing and slurs against officials to more felonies like murder, incest, rape, armed robbery?<BR><BR>3) the article then goes on to talk about crime committed on a busroute, ostensibly on Italian soil, with Vatican City, when in fact, said busroute doesn't even drive once on Vatican soil at all. And if one has been to Italy and taken that busroute, they know this.<BR><BR>Read critically! You can't compare apples to oranges.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Howard

Talk about the misuse or misinterpretation of statistic!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:27 AM
math

I do not see any misuse or misinterpretation of any sort here. The article even starts with this phrase &quot;More crimes are committed per inhabitant.&quot; This means crimes divided by the inhabitant. Since Vatican has alots of visitors and small inhabitants, the ratio yields a very large number. This is a grade school math.<BR><BR>Yeah, the headline is catchy, but at least the article explains what it means by 'worst'. I wish our candidates' campaign speeches involving statistics were this clear.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Don't

I've been at the Vatican and in Rome five times. The worst crime appears to happen in the subway. Sure the buses can be bad on those they know the tourists are using, but that occurs everywhere. Our personal feeling when being there was that crime was less.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:34 AM
xxx

But inhabitants are not the same as tourists. Therefore, the text of the article is misleading. I understand crimes committed against visitors is high. But that doesn't mean crimes committed against inhabitants are the same amount. The writer is unclear and doesn't use the proper wording. What do you think? One infers the number of inhabitants and visitors who are victims of crimes is the same. And that's misleading.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:38 AM
xxx

My brother-in-law had an experience in Vatican City that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. After feeling taken by Italian taxi drivers, pickpockets, etc. he was significantly &quot;shortchanged&quot; by the vendor at a ticket booth at the Vatican. Having reached his boiling point he decided to call him on it and wouldn't back down when the vendor denied the mistake.... To the point of calling a policeman. I guess it was just the idea of being cheated in such a &quot;holy&quot; place. Not a murder but still a crime.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Recovering

I didn't have to go all the way to the Vatican to get ripped off. When I was about seven years old the Holy Roman Catholic Church (from four thousand miles away) robbed me of my innocence, my joy and my zest for life. I, however, was the one found guilty and I was sentenced to a lifetime of inhibition, guilt and crippling emotional pain.<BR><BR>Thank you, Jesus.