Notices

VAT refunds at Gatwick?

Aug 31st, 2012, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

VAT refunds at Gatwick?

Hello everyone,
I am a non-EU resident. I have made a number of purchases in the UK for which I am entitled to VAT refunds....on the way home we are visiting Italy first.
Does anyone have any information on whether or not I can have my VAT refund forms stamped and sent at Gatwick Airport, even though we are flying to Verona? I do have proof of onward (2 weeks later) flight to Australia.
If not, will I be able to get Venice customs to stamp them or are they going to refuse because goods and receipts are from UK and not in Italian. I have got VAT refund forms stamped at Venice before for items purchased in Italy and even received the refunds (which I hear can be variable) but I can imagine that they may not want to do it for the UK forms.
Appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Aug 31st, 2012, 06:11 AM

The rules are that you CANNOT get refunds till you're taking the goods out of the EU.

You must do the paperwork at the airport you leave the EU from, unless you are making a same-day plane change within the EU in order to leave. In that case, you must use the EU airport where you begin your departing journey.

From what you say, that will be Venice. Whether the Italians want to do it or not, the British are not empowered to do it.
Aug 31st, 2012, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks flanneruk

I'll cross fingers and hope all goes well in Venice

Search this Thread