Stay in Venice or Padua for 36 Hrs?

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay in Venice or Padua for 36 Hrs?

My wife and I would like to see Venice, but only have 36 hours on the last leg of our trip this September. We will be arriving by train late on a Friday afternoon, and flying back to the US from Venice at Sunday 10am. Is staying in Venice itself worth the cost and hassle of getting back out to the airport on Sunday? Or should we stay in Padua and make Venice an all-day trip on Saturday, taking the train back to Padua late Sat night? Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Hi CCarroll, personally I would never count on a train in Italy to get me to a airport location if I had a flight to catch. There have been times that trains have been 2 hours late. Not a big problem unless you have a flight, especially a flight to take you home. If it was me I would stay in Venice. Best wishes and enjoy your time in Italy!!
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks LoveItaly, if we stayed in Padua I understand there is a bus/shuttle that could get us to the airport. If we stayed in Venice how would you recommend getting to airport on Sunday AM? Thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Staying in Venice is always worth it -- though it will probably be more expensive. But with your flight, it makes much more sense. Getting to the airport from Venice is not a hassle; there are several options. Whereas the last time I was in Italy I took the train twice and both trips had delays. And then there are the strikes....
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 09:59 AM

For the Venice to airport options, check out this web site: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...o_airport2.htm. Which I found by googling "Venice to airport".
Old Apr 15th, 2006, 10:28 AM

I would definitely want to stay in Venice, and it's really not a hassle to get to the airport. The easiest and most expensive way is to hire a private water taxi (probably 80-90 Euro).

For a much cheaper option, from your hotel, just take a vaporetto to Piazzelle Roma and from there take the orange ACTV bus to the airport, which will drop you off right outside the door. This is very inexpensive, I'm not sure of the exact cost because it is also covered by the vaporetto passes, and I had a 72-hour pass. I would pay for my vaporetto to the hotel upon arrival in Venice, then buy a 24-hour pass Saturday morning which would then cover any rides on Saturday and getting to the airport on Sunday morning (the 24 hours starts when you validate the pass the first time you use it).