VAT refund - expiration for claim?

Old Feb 18th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VAT refund - expiration for claim?

Hey all. Question: Is there an expiration on when you can claim a VAT refund? The reason I ask is that last July when my mom, sister and I were in Paris, one of the shops they bought stuff at told them that they could get a refund at the airport - but told my mom and sister that it could be done once they were past security. Apparently this was not the case once we were in the "safe zone". Even if we had known beforehand that they were to have done it before going past security, the line we waited in for American Airlines was extremely long. If we went to France next year, would they still be able to claim their refund or is there an expiration on when this can be done?
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 02:20 PM
J62

You are supposed to show the customs agents that you are taking the goods with you out of the country. They don't always check, but I was denied a VAT refund a few years ago because I had put the items in my checked luggage, and went to VAT refund after checkin.

I think you are SOL.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 02:29 PM

True, if you do not have the purchases with you, they can deny your claim. I have only been asked once in Paris to show the merchandise, as opposed to many other airports which really do want to see the goods. Might be worth a try, hoping you'll get an agent that doesn't look at dates OR want to see the merchandise.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 03:54 PM

I'm guessing that if you show them a sales slip or other document that is dated 1 year ago - they are just going to laugh at you and then say "next in line please".

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 07:21 PM

It's a bit confusing because these days most retailers participate with either Global or Premier (and you can tell by the forms they give you). You do have to have the sales receipts and other paperwork stamped at Customs, but there are Global or Premier desks beyond security for actually processing the refunds. And, you do have to allow plenty of time for both.

If you have Global or Premieer forms, you can either have them processed at the airport, or mail them for processing. You have six months, to my recollection, from the date you leave to submit your forms, but, still, the slips have to be stamped by Customs.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied! I guess SOL is pretty much the answer. Oh well.