Greek Islands: late May or September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been checking out information on a trip to Greece, and have gotten good suggestions from this Fodor's Forum. So far, our tentative plans include flying into Athens, then on to Mykonos, three nights in Mykonos, ferrying to Santorini for three or four nights, and possibly Naxos for two nights, flying back to Athens and spending two nights before returning to the US. As yet, we haven't book anything.

We have the possibility of taking this trip in late May/early June, or in early September. We'd appreciate any thoughts Fodorites have on the pros and cons of traveling at either of these times. . .especially in regard to weather, regularity of ferry schedules, restaurants/stores open, etc. Any ideas along these lines would be appreciated.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:05 PM

I have traveled at both times, so I can speak from experience. September's biggest advantage is that the sea water has had all s ummer to warm up, and so it is sublime you can float for hours if that's what you want. And the weather is nicely warm but not the heat of August. However, there are some other aspects I look at
• The area has been without rain for 4 months, so the grass, shrubs trees in normally green islands are brown. Doesn't matter much in Santrini & Mykonos, which are dry yaer-round, but it DOES matter in fertile Naxos & Crete and SIfnos, which I love to visit
• The locals are a bit "burnt-out" too, and who can blame them? after the mob scenes of July-August on he mos popular isles; they're thinking about getting hteir kids back in school, som of the smaller shops are closing ... there's a subtle end-of-season feeling

I do favor late May early June for a number of reasons:

* Weather is what the Lord had in mind for eden. In the 60s overnight, up to mid80sF by day.
• everythings open, nothing is crowded. The restaurant & hotel people aren't rushed, have time to chat, the season is opening, everyone's in a good mood
• After the spring rains, the grass and fields and trees are green & flowering, the vines are flowering, and local fruits, apricots, berries, cherries are ripe and heavvnly.
• Water can be a little "brisk" at first plunge, but then feels GREAT ... any time after May 15 --at least in the Cyclades... I hear that in Corfu, Zakynthos its chillystill
• You get a "bonus" for your holiday -- each day lasts sooo much longer than in September; the sun doesn't set until 8:45(20:45), it's light until after 9 (21:00).

About your allocation of time to the various islands --- we cannot advise you without knowing more about you. Are y ou in your 20s, enjoy late-night clubbing? Are you mostly about beaches? What about exploring, walks, a few ruins? That would make a difference. Both Mykonos AND Santorini are the 2 places that have any kind of party scene... they both also have daily crowds of cruise ships, have a lot of high-end shops and luxe dining if that is your interest, also the only 2 that have the luxury spa-type hotels. THe 2 have that in common. Santorini is not the place to find beaches ... Mykonos has sandy beaches (but in September beware, vry windy). Naxos is larger than both, and more varied landscape if u rent a car or ATV and explore.... has 15 mils of golden sand beach, but low-key nightlife.

I would allocate 2 for Mykonos, 3 or Santorini and 4 for Naxos, but that's just me. YOu can read more about all 3, and measure the attractions against your preferences.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, travelerjan, for your prompt response. You've easily convinced us that late May/early June is the time we'd like to go.

As to our interests, we like the variety of enjoying beach time, exploring the islands, ruins, etc., enjoying beautiful sunsets, casual restaurants, local shops, etc. We like some evening entertainment, but are not all-night partiers. One thing we do not enjoy is being located close to the cruise ship ports. We were looking at a very nice place in Fira and hope that cruise ships don't dock near here. We'd be grateful for any further suggestions. Any other or different islands you would suggest? Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM

Well the cruise ships do not dock where your hotel will be but the cruise ship passengers will be everywhere in Fira and Mykonos. You appear to have 8 nights and 3 islands in mind. Remember every Island hop will take up a minimum of half a day when you include checking out of your hotel waiting for the ferry and then finding a new hotel on the next island. So now you really only have about 6.5 days for the 3 islands.
Personally I would consider flying to Santorini when you arrive in Athens and start your vacation there. I personally would stay in Firostefani which is a short half kilometer from Fira and has the same great caldera views but is just far enough from Fira that the cruise crowds do not get to where you will be. if you want to mingle with them you can go to Fira but if you want peace and quiet this is a good area to stay.
I see you have also chosen Naxos. It is the perfect companion island for Santorini as it is laid back, has a permanent population so you will have a more realistic Greek experience and it is far less expensive than Santorini so it is a good budget stretcher. It also has far superior beaches.
By cutting down to two islands you will have time to really get settled in and start to absorb some of that great Greek experience of just sitting at a taverna and taking it all in with no rush and no bother. Naxos does not have cruise ships stopping by so it is not crazy crowded particularly in May June. Naxos also has great mountain villages and you can easily rent a car and spend a day touring the island and seeing what Greece used to be like.
I suspect that a two island holiday is much better on two islands than 3.
Here are some Naxos pictures to give you an idea. These were taken in May June.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/552001505EYxVYT
Enjoy planning
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 12:47 AM

I agree with stanbr, make it 2 islands. Straight out to Santorini for 3 nights, relax & delag with a view. Then move on to Naxos for 5 or 6 nights. This is where you can cheat & use one of the days there to take the trip to Delos & Mykonos. You get to briefly see the island without the unpacking/packing/travel time extras & without the higher expense of staying there.
I would then make it 3 nights if possible in Athens, so much to do & see even this is not enough if you are at all interested in the history, but will give you time to explore some of the main sites/sights. You'll even get a good sunset view over the city from Lycavettos Hill.
I live here all year & like both May/June & September, but there are 2 big advantages of the May choice. One being the longer daylight hours as Jan pointed out, the other being lower accommodation prices, particularly in May, some increase in June.
If you provide budget figures in €s the suggestions will them come in for where to stay!
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:19 AM

Yiassas
Thank you for mentioning the day excursion to Delos and Mykonos I totally forgot to mention that in my reply.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:38 AM

Thanks for filling in the details, friends! I just enjoy writing about May-June trips because (Yay!) I just completed my plans and yesterday mailed all the details to my travel pals, for our trip starting May 19, including the Argolid, Milos, a swift stop at Santorini, a solid stay at Naxos, and a wrap up in Athens June 5 (tho I linger a week longer)... Every night at midnight I turn off my computer with the webcam view of Naxos harbor at Dawn http://www.naxosisland.eu/ Aaah.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Because of the great ideas offered, we are now in process of reconsidering our dates and plans. The idea of staying on Naxos with the opportunity of doing a daytrip to Mykonos is appealing. The loss of time, not to mention the inconvenience of uprooting, is definitely a factor to consider. We'll go back to the drawing board and will, no doubt, appreciate further help before we finalize. Thanks to all for the great ideas.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 03:20 PM

>One thing we do not enjoy is being located close to the cruise ship ports<

Having spent the last 15 years travelling to Mykonos, mostly in May and September I can perhaps reassure you that in May the island most certainly isn’t crawling with cruise ship passengers. Indeed, it isn’t crawling with visitors either. For me it is the very best month to visit the island when everything is fresh, local folks are relaxed and the colours are amazing. Check those out in these few pics taken mid to late May last year:

http://fira.www.idnet.com/

Local traders were showing a lot of concern last September because of the lack of cruise ships visiting. During a 9 day period in August they had none at all. The feeling was that the recession was biting and the cruise lines had reduced their services. Certainly in May, in 7 days, I remember only one arriving.

>exploring the islands, ruins, etc., enjoying beautiful sunsets, casual restaurants, local shops, etc. We like some evening entertainment, but are not all-night partiers<

You can find all of those on Mykonos at the time you intend travelling.

Jon