Aran Island, Ireland - any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going to Ireland in May for two weeks, Would like to play a trip over to one of the Aran Islands on one of the days. I know you take a ferry to get there. Suggestions as to which one of the three to visit? Is the largest the best for a one day visit? Any tips?
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 01:14 PM

Inishmore may be the best because it has services (a fish & chips place plus a restaurant), and also has the ruins of a pre-Celtic fort. It is of some distance and be prepared to pay for a carriage ride to get to the path that leads to the fort. That is my recollection, although our tour used a more prosaic van.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...th/4172432894/
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 04:18 AM

I agree with Michael. There is a bike rental shop at the end of the pier when you get off the bus. the carriages and minivans are lined up on the pier and all offer rides around the island. Dun Aengus, the preCeltic fort mentioned above, is indeed a wonderful place to see. One edge drops straight off into the Atlantic Ocean. There is a visitor center which explains what is known of the origins of the fort. There is also a little cafe to enjoy a quick snack or light lunch. When you get back to Kilronan, the town at the pier, there are more places to eat, a grocery store, and a visitor center with a film, "The Man of Aran".

I don't know where you will be based in the area, but Rosseveal is a better choice for the ferry to Inishmore. The trip is shorter, less weather dependent, and gives you several choices of out trips and returns. The Doolin ferry just makes run out and back each day.

I have been lucky enough to spend the night there on several trips. Had a chance to go to a pub and hear music and also explore several ancient sites by bike on my own. My first visit was nearly fifty years ago and it was really a step back in time, an unforgettable experience.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 04:50 AM

I stayed on Inishmore for one night 2 years ago. If I am ever lucky enough to make it back to Ireland, I would stay longer! It was peaceful and beautiful. Dh and I rented a bicycle and rode all over, and also parked the bikes and "got lost" looking for a ruin. It was a wonderful day and an amazing place. If you have two full weeks, consider spending at least one night in Inishmore.
Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:13 PM

We're going there in May as well and plan to take advantage of a package deal through Aran Island Ferries for the ferry trip and one night's lodging. See: http://www.aranislandferries.com/
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 03:28 PM

http://www.fahertytours.com/connemar...ands-Tour.html

We are doing this tour from Galway. I have taken the ferry from Doolin before but it is a smaller ferry and won't go if the weather is iffy. I love that this tour goes to Cong. The Quiet man is one of my favorite old movies.