Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vaporetti Schedules in Venice (and how passes work!?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone familiar with vaporetti schedules know how early they begin running on the off-season weekends?

On December 28, I need to get to the Santa Lucia train station to catch a 7:00 train to Feltre.
I am staying at the Locanda Orseolo, which is near the St Mark's vaporetto docks.

Will this be possible? If I take the #2 line, I believe the run to the station is about 25 minutes. I'd like to leave at about 6:00, if possible.

Also, not sure if I should buy single trip tix, or a 12 hour pass. I will be taking the vaporetto at least 3 times...once into Venice upon initial arrival and to/from the train station for the Feltre excursion. May also want to use during sightseeing. If I buy a 12 hour pass, does the pass expire 12 hours after purchase, or is it used like a time card?

Thanks, and a Happy Holiday to all!
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 12:36 PM

http://www.actv.it/sites/default/files/ultimorario.pdf

Looks like you can take the Line 1 starting around 5:00 a.m. from San Marco or No 2 starting at 5:40 to get there at 6:21. Either should take around 40 minutes.

I'd get a pass, which I believe it starts when you first use it.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 01:09 PM

If you mean AM (you don't specify), the #2 travels along the Giudecca. You'll have to pick it up at San Zaccaria, and from San Zaccaria to Ferrovia, the trip is about 40 minutes.

It's much easier if you figure out how to walk to the Rialto (which is a very short walk from the Locanda) and pick up the #1 at 6:15 AM. You'll get to Ferrovia by 6:31, barely a 15 minute ride with plenty of time to spare.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 01:15 PM

The time clock on the card is not valid until the minute it gets stamped, which happens when you hold it above one of the entry machines at each dock.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

I'm assuming it expires 12 hours from the moment you "validate" it. Or do you punch the ticket again when you disembark to stop the clock, so to speak.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Your 12-hour pass expires 12 hours from the moment you validate it. There is no punch. It's like reading a bar code.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 02:48 PM

Unless your arrival occurs on the same day as your trip to Feltre, a 12-hour card won't cut it. You may need the flexibility of a 72-hour card, which covers you for a full three days. If your kids are going to join you, you'll need a 72-hour card for them. I believe they are eligible for the Youth Card (18€), but you have to purchase a Rolling Venice Card first (4€). What can I say? Venice is crazy with all these tourist hoops.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

It really is! I've traveled quite a bit, but this trip has me a bit apprehensive. Fortunately, I speak understandable Italian, so hopefully, I'll be OK!

All part of the great travel experience!!
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM

You don't need to speak Italian to navigate the learning curve of tourist travel cards. You simply need a lot of patience and time to do the research. Most of the tourist stations, like the ticket offices of HelloVenezia, employ people who speak terrific English.

I realize there is a risk in over-paying on vaporetto access passes. I tell friends to think of that money as a donation to this fabulous city. IMO, especially in cold weather, it's worth the extra money to leave yourself with flexibility to step on a warm boat when you feel like it. Until you are in Venice, it's impossible to know exactly when the desire will strike.