Reload this Page >

Is this hotel too far off the beaten path for a first timer in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:09 PM
diane mac

I have reserved a hotel called Ca'Bauta in Venice. It was listed on the "Hot List" in a Conde Nast Travel magazine, but outside of that article and their website (www.cabauta.com) I can find very little information and nobody has responded from this board that they have stayed there. It is located in the Castello neighborhood, close to SS Giovanni e Paolo, Ospedale stop. I like being away from the crowds, but is this too far away?? (La Calcina is booked) For those of you who know Venice, what do you think? Thanks

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:15 PM
Myer

During the day getting around is easy.<BR><BR>In the evening the action is in St Mark's area. That's probably where you want to be.<BR><BR>If there is a crowd somewhere there's probably a reason.<BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:36 PM
KT

Depends upon what you want. I don't think it's too far off at all, but then I prefer not to stay in the San Marco-Rialto corridor which is always teeming with tourists, and I rather like the Castello. Distances in Venice are short, and of course there's no vehicular traffic to contend with. SS Giovanni e Paolo is only about 1/4 mile (600 meters) from Piazza San Marco, though it is rather in the opposite direction from most of the hot spots.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:37 PM
KT

Sorry, my math was wrong. It is roughly 600 meters, but that's more like .36 miles. Still, that's less than ten minutes for the average walker.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:44 PM
Lesli

I just took a look at the website, and it looks just far enough from San Marco to be able to get a feel for the "real" Venice to me; I'd estimate only about 10 minutes or so, looking at the map. Probably about the same to the Rialto. You can walk nearly everywhere in Venice, and do so more easily when you're not pushing your way through the worst of the throngs.<BR><BR>Looks like a lovely hotel (with reasonable rates?); please post your experience upon your return!

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:49 PM
Wanna know

What did they quote you for a rate, and was it for a double or single???

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:05 PM
Rex

If you got a rate you're happy with, I think it's a perfectly fine location, for first-timer or veteran. It's a very nice little map they provide on their website - - www.cabauta.com/dove_e.shtml - - easy to see that the walk is not great to a number of "main attraction" areas. And on the other hand, looks like you COULD get a water taxi virtually to your door step, if you so choose.<BR><BR>I think it's a rare occasion that a Conde Nast suggestion would be a bum steer, and this website appears to back that up.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:21 PM

top o' the morning...<BR>

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 03:04 PM
cheryl

Actually Giovanni e Paolo is a lovely campo and it is very close to many good restaurants and shops. There is a wonderful chicetti bar called D'Albertos<BR>over the bridge from the campo..they have the best fried olives..<BR>Also a wonderful local trattoria called La Bandieretta that has awesome scallops roasted with butter and served in their shells yummm<BR>Believe me the farther away from the tourist mainstream,the more you will love Venice!<BR><BR>

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Jeri

Hi Diane,<BR>I just checked the website and the Ca'Bauta looks lovely. I was curious what rate you are paying, because if you are interested:........<BR>I was a first time traveler to Venice and was unsure about hotels, locationsk, etc. I just happened to se a pop-up on a hotel chain website about a fabulous new hotel that has just opened up on the Grand Canal and the price was unbelievable (180 euros!). I, like you like to be away from the crowds, and this hotel met that need also. It was a short walk to St. Mark's Piazza and Rialto Bridge (where the action is). I can't say enough good things about this place.<BR>The v iew from our rooms on the Grand Canal was incredible (sunset, late evenings and the mornings were magical!) They even upgraded two of our three rooms to suites on the canal..If you want any further info, feel free to email me.<BR>

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Lesli

Jeri -<BR><BR>Although I'm not currently headed for Venice, I'd still be interested in knowing the name of this fabulous, yet affordable hotel. I'm sure others would, too! Why not share it here?

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Jeri

I have no problem sharing it here. Although, I am not certain how much longer those rates will last. We were there in August and it was their "grand opening" special. At the time I booked it, there was very limited info on it, and when I have been recommended something, I don't know about you, but I do like to access more information (amenitiies, photos, etc) to confirm my choice. Diane was interested and so she emailed me for further information. I was able to take a little extra time last night and did a search for her. And... I am happy to report that the hotel is listed at: www.hotelbook.com and www.utell.com, now. Some detailed information is available at: http://santangelo.hotelinvenice.com. I booked my rate at www.sinahotels.com. and this was in July (low season and during their grand opening). The hotel is a currently a 4*, but soon as its restaurant is up and running, it will gain a 5* status.<BR> Even if you fellow Fodorites don't have a trip to Vencie planned in the near future, this hotel is a good one to remember, but obviously the rates will be going up. But at any rate, this hotel is a gem!

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Anon

Just took a look at the website for Jeri's hotel; it does look nice. The *name* of the hotel is Palazzo San'Angelo, vaporetto: Sant'Angelo.<BR><BR>The "rates" page shows that it will indeed be much more expensive one the introductory promotion ends.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Diane

Jeri-<BR>Thanks for the info on San Angelo, the introductory rates seem like a bargain for the location. I reserved a room there. I sent you an email with some more questions - if you have time to respond that would be great.<BR>Thanks again.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Rob

We stayed at the Splendid Suisse...between the Rialto Bridge & San Marco...great hotel , good location and great service<BR><BR><BR>Rob

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:38 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Topper

Topping for Sue.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Jack

Hi there. If you are looking for nice and very reasonably priced accommodation in Venice please send me an email and i will help you.<BR>Have a nice day.<BR>Jack

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 01:19 PM
pam

Has anyone stayed out on Lido Island. I have a friend that recommends it, especially for kids. Any recommendations?