Valuables

Jan 14th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Valuables

Hey Everybody,

I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling in Europe over the next three months, and I was wondering about valuable protections. I know a lot of hotels keep safes in their rooms, so you can safely leave extra money/jewelry/passport in the room, but not all of them have those. I was just wondering if any of you seasoned travellers knew if there's some sort of portable...safe, I guess. I know it's best never to leave things in the room, and I'll be keeping a lot of money and my passport on me, in one of those holders you put under your clothes, but I just wondered. Thanks, guys.
Jan 14th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Hi queensbess, glad to see you will be traveling around Europe these next months.

I have never used the hotel safes that are in the rooms, I don't consider them that safe. I use the hotel safe which is behind the reception desk in a hotel if I need a safe. Do make a photocopy of your passport. I always carry the photocopy on my person rather than the original but others do the exact opposite. You don't need a "lot of money" at one time if you have an ATM card. But a money belt is a very good idea.
Jan 14th, 2007, 05:18 PM
kp

You'll find lots of advice on protecting valuables if you do a search for: valuables, safe, moneybelt, ATM, etc. (The "search this forum" box is slightly above and to the right of the messages). You don't need to indicate country.
Wishing you a fantastic semester--I was glad to read about your day trip to Windsor. Looking forward to hearing about more trips.
Jan 14th, 2007, 06:31 PM

I don;t take a lot of valuables with me.

I carry my passport and credit/ATM cards with me at all times - with xerox of passport and one back-up of each card hidden in unlocked and obviously open luggage (no thief ever bothers to look there).

I keep my camera with me during the day - and just leave it on the hotel room desk or dresser at night.

Always take my computer on business - but have it with me most of the time. On evenings out I just put it in my underwear drawer (but never let hotel staff in the room if I have it out).

Never use either room or hotel safe.

Never take valuable jewelry unless I wear it at all times.

Have never had any problems in almost 70 trips to europe. Granted most trips now are in 4 or 5* hotels - but even on early trips in 3* or pensions - no problems. (And I sometimes think that 5* hotels have more thieves- thinking the pickings are better).

But - you must use your usual city smarts. Never let go of anything in a public place. Be aware of who's around you at all times. Know where you're going, walk quickly and assertively - and above all - don;t act confused or dither (sure to call attention to yourelf).
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:19 AM
ira

Hi Q,

I suggest leaving jewelry at home.

Those little room safes won't bother a professional thief.

>I'll be keeping a lot of money and my passport on me,...<

You shouldn't have a lot of money.

Charge everything you can and get cash from ATM machines.

Enjoy your visit.