Managing Passport and CC/ATM cards in moneybelt while in transit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you check into the hotel, you can leave valuable in the hotel safe. But while in transit, how do you manage these?

Obviously at passport controls and hotel receptions, you need to present the passport. How do you keep it secure just before and after using it? I am hesitant to pull out the passport from my neck pouch at the reception.

Also ATM cards: when you get your money and your ATM card back from the machine, how do you secure them when some people could have watched you putting them away? I try to quickly find a secure place, such as my room, a restroom, or a restaurant to transfer the card and the cash to my moneybelt from my wallet. This is one time where “carry only the money you need for the day” advice does not work, unless you visit ATM machine everyday.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM

I don't have an answer greg as I don't use a money belt. Good question!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't put my passport/ATM/Credit card(s) in the money belt when I'm going to need to use them. The money belt is for carrying those valuables in a secure place (sort of like a safe) when you don't need to get at them.

If I am going to use the passport (like checking in) or ATM card - they are in my wallet.

I laugh every time I see (and I see it happen at least a couple of times every day when traveling) some nervous tourist digging their money belt out from under their clothing to get at something. Sort of defeats the purpose -- dontcha think??
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:56 PM
P_M

While going through the airports, I always keep my passport in my purse. Based on your name I assume you are a man, so you will probably be carrying some other type of bag.

When I reach my destination, I keep my passport and spare ATM/credit cards in the hotel safe. The ATM/credit card I will be using for the day will be in my wallet.

While using the ATM, I try to get out my card as quickly as possible, and look around before reaching for it. If I'm traveling with someone I ask them to stand guard. I know this might sound paranoid to some, but these are the same precautions I take at home. You can't be too careful in any country.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:45 AM

We wear 'leg stash' pouches (since we travel in cool weather and wear long pants). Very easy to access when necessary. I try to use the ATM on my way back to the hotel, so I can divy up the money w/hubby and stash the rest in private. We keep our passports in front jeans pocket and zipped interior daypack pocket while in transit. Once we don't need to produce it anymore, it goes into the leg stash.