money belt - help

Search

money belt - help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
money belt - help

leaving tomorrow. do you wear a money belt on the plane or change things after you get to airport? do you carry all money,passport checks, charges in it. or put some in a carry on?

once get to hotel realize can leave some in safe deposit at hotel.

carry around passport? or copy? will be in provence.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:00 AM

I find the moneybelt annoying to wear so I wear it as little as possible, that being said, I usually put it on at the end of the flight and carry in it my passport, money and charge cards. I do keep one charge card and some cash in my purse or easily accessible so I'm not digging at my waistband to pay for small purchases. I was actually very comfortable in Provence and gave up wearing it after a day, probably not the wisest thing but I did none the less and had no problems.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:13 AM

I'm with swalter. We have ours ready to put on when the flight lands and use it mainly when traveling city to city in airports and train stations.

We recently kept all credit cards, ATM cards, larger cash amounts, and passports in our apartment while we are out during the day. We only carried the cash we needed for the day, plus a copy of our passport, when we were out touring.

I agree that it's best to have some cash and maybe one credit card in an easily accessible place since you don't want to be digging in your money belt in public. It's also a good idea to keep a list of your accounts and 800 numbers in a safe place in case you have a theft.

Have a safe trip!
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:29 AM

Joanel,

Do you wear a money belt when you go to cities in the United States? Provence isn't exactly the Outer Boondocks.

Carry a copy of your passport, not you passport.

C
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:35 AM

This page from the Rick Steves site explains it well:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneybelt.htm
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 09:49 AM

I don't use one myself, but if I did I would definitely put it on while on the plane -- because airports are one of the prime targets for pickpockets and it will be much better than having to go into a restroom or do it in public or whatever you plan to do at an airport when you are tired and loaded down and getting used to new surroundings. I don't see any advantage to that.

YOu will need to have documents ready for customs, etc, though. I carry those all together (passport, flight tickets and boarding pass, etc) in a document holder-type thing (bigger than a wallet, it's a small envelope that closes with velcro) which I have in a purse or small carryon. I am careful with my belongings, though, and don't put down my carryon or have that opening accessible to passer-bys.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 10:53 AM

Joanel==

I also wear a money belt--- I put it on right before the PLANE LANDS....and keep it on the entire time I am on vacation, except to sleep....

I always carrya COPY of my passport with me and leave the original in the hotel safe....

Also, I limit the number of credit cards that I bring...ie. 1 VISA and 1 AX....and the ATM card....

I carry a over the shoulder handbag and ONLY put guidebooks in it...ALL the stuff I don't want to lose stays in my money belt....

Been doing this for over 20 years and knock on wood,no problems...
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 11:08 AM
lyb

Maybe it's just me, but unless you're wearing some kind of tent, having a bulge at the waist is not only extremely unattractive, but uncomfortable. In addition, it screams to pickpockets...look at me, I've got money and credit cards that I'm afraid to have you steal! I understand the reason for safety and that it works for many people, but it is so uncomfortable that I can't deal with it. And just being extremely aware and having several compartments has always worked for me.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Intrepid

Unlike lyb I'm more concerned about keeping my money, credit cards, and passport out of reach of pickpocets than I am about a possible "bulge"..and that depends on just where you wear the moneybelt..sometimes bulges in the right places can be very attractive.
You'll look pretty stupid if you get pickpocketed, bulges or not...and I put mine in place prior to the plane's landing.
Guess it is all a matter of priorities.

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 11:49 AM

Oh Intrepid, may I give you a big kiss...please? Your reply was dynamite! And, I completely agree with you. If the plane goes down (God forbid), the only thing I want to reach for is my life. I keep my tummy flat enough to withstand any bulging money belt. Several thousand Euro also makes for a great breast lift and cleavage. Luckily, I'm not much of a sweater. Thank you, Intrepid!
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 12:51 PM

I wear a moneybelt but I turn it around and put the pouch in the small of my back. That keeps it from being noticeable or bulging over tummy.
It isn't very 'fat' anyway, just a few key things go in there.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 01:02 PM
PCHsmiles

Somehow money belts seem just so old fashioned! Just how many credit cards and ATM'er are you planning to haul over? Tons of small bills? Gum, zippos, silk stockings - what is you plan to cram into those contraptions? Belts remind me of great old films, whaling ships and the like, when at least one deckhand was named Freddy, and you took all your personals and valuables on board, on your person. Even the clothes of the time were accepting of these 18th C bulges, and people's bodies bulged, affording a natural camoflague. Now we can transfer funds in a flash, we'ree plasricized with all forms of credit, and ye here we are, still saddled with these beastly carriers, and our bodies, 21st C lean, are being forced to accommodate discomfort. I am tempted to create a new tee - I have no belt, thief, I left home without it.

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 01:36 PM

PCH dear, I must confess...I buy everything with cash in Italy and France. I'm not recommending that anyone else do the same. I do it because I prefer to. What business doesn't appreciate a cash paying customer? For me, the ONLY security is my money belt (and my bra).
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 03:47 PM

I put mine on in then plane. Then I put my passport and last couple of documents in it in the bathroom that's at customs where you claim your bags. That's after passport control but before you're shoved out into the masses at the airport proper.

I never use a money belt at home. I was in NYC over Labor Day and didn't use it there. I also know I'm in the US and having my wallet stolen is a minor inconvenience. I don't lose my passport. I can easily call the credit card companies and report them stolen. I can get money, another credit card whatever overnight-ed to me 6 out of 7 days. My family at home is almost in the same time zone and can more easily deal with wiring me money. None of this is as easy when I'm in Europe.

Besides who wants to do that kind of stuff on vacation? A lady once posted here she had her passport stolen in, I believe, France. She lost an entire day of her vacation getting that passport replaced. It takes a lot of time, effort and money for me to get to Europe for a vacation. I'm going to do what I can to make sure I don't waste an entire day doing something that has to be bureaucratically frustrating.

I love the "be aware of your surroundings," and "vigilently watch your bags" comments. "Sorry dear, can't look at the Eiffel Tower now I'm staring at my suitcase." I don't go on vacation to be on the defense all the time. A moneybelt lets me be more relaxed because I know what I need to keep is pretty secure. I'm also a budget tourist and not all low end hotels have a safe available either.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 02:33 PM
lyb

Intrepid,

I understand that safeguarding valuables are important, but because I have such high limit on my credit cards, I usually use of my ATM cards and take out the equivalent of $200 for the day and use my credit cards, which I can then easily pay off when I get home. Also my money is never in the same place as my credit cards, or if I am carrying my passport, it's also located in a different pocket. Since I am a photographer, I usually have a small purse and a camera bag and things are put in different places. And therefore, god forbid, someone takes one the whoe purse or the whole camera bag, they haven't taken much. I always write down my credit card account numbers and my ATM cards and put that information in the safe of the hotels, as well as the ATM card for the other bank and the other credit cards I have. I will only have one credit card, one ATM card and at the most $200 with me, so I'm not losing that much. Plus, as I said I am always VERY aware of who is near me and how close they are to me.
I'm not saying it can never happen to me, anything can happen, but it wouldn't exactly set me back much to lose $200, and as far as my passport, I only carry a color photo copy, unless I will be crossing a border.

Hey, it's always worked and I'm not saying that people shouldn't wear them, but yes...I don't like my clothes to fit improperly or to have a big bulge, given that I'm a woman.