Vacation Plans to Spain

Search

Vacation Plans to Spain

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacation Plans to Spain

Leaving 3/17 for ten day visit. Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions about going.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 06:26 AM

Go! Without hesitation, go. Indeed the trip will be different because of the bombing. There is something truly wonderful when a community pulls together after such an act of terrorism. Love for humankind and deep compassion are unleashed in amazing ways. Perhaps, it's God's gift.

We were at the Atocha train station just two weeks before the bombing and stayed just two blocks from Plaza Colon. If we had been there during the bombing and had been fortunate enough to walk with the Spanish, I think it would have truly been a highlight to our trip and an unforgetable life experience. (the highlight being the bonding of humankind.... not the terrorism.)

And, please leave a note and some flowers at the site. There are still folks who visit Oklahoma City where I live and leave remembrances at our bombing site. It is very touching for me to feel the continued outpouring of love from strangers. And, for such a length of time.

Of course, you will need to weigh your decision using your own good sense. Keep informed. Chances are if things truly become unsafe, the airlines will become quite gracious in refunding airfare or allowing for itinerary changes as they have done in the past with 9-11 and the SARS epidemic. My own inner voice says the incident is a one time deal and safety will be heightened once you are there. You'll experience a whole community grieving and in adjustment. And there may be some infrastructure changes to the train system. Alternate transportation is already in place.... check the renfe site... check madridman.com. You may also be blessed with lesser crowds as my family was in Paris after the Sept 11 attacks.... we travelled in May the following year and travel was still way down. I think you will have a wonderful time.

Sharon
Oklahoma City
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Ah, hindsight. Were you asking about going vs. not-going. Or, were you wondering about what to do when you arrived. If the later, please list some specific interests and give me an idea about how you like to travel. I just returned from two weeks in Spain and had a great time.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Chatters

As a New Yorker, if I could get on a plane bound for Madrid right now I would do it without any hesitation whatsoever. I still remembered the TV stations interviewing tourists on the streets of NYC right after 9/11 and how I wanted to kiss their feet for their show of solidarity and heart. If you don't go, you support the terrorists's goal of spreading terror. Go and see why so many people on this forum felt they had been targeted just as much. Spain is a country of great people and beautiful spirit. You'll see.

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 12:50 PM

since it's now starting to look as if this terror attack is not an internal Spanish one there is little reason to avoid a trip to Spain. these terrorists could turn up anywhere - including your home town - next.