Vacation location recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best friend and I are planning a vacation and are looking for recommendations on where to go. I've always wanted to go to Thailand but since I'm the only one with miles to get there we're looking for something with a lower airfare. Other spots we've considered are Portugal, Spain or South America. I would appreciate any thoughts on these or any additional places you could recommend! We're thinking late August at this point.

Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Neopolitan

What "thoughts" are you looking for. There are literally thousands of posts here talking about the virtues of any destination on earth. What are you looking for? If you don't really have a clue what it is you want to see or do, then you need to pick up some guidebooks, some travel brochures, or just do some browsing until you come up with something that turns you on. Asking a group of strangers to start telling someone they don't know anything about where they should spend their vacation is kind of vague, don't you think?

Once you know what kind of vacation you're looking for, this is an ideal source for running specific ideas and narrowing down choices of what to see, where to stay, and how to get around.

Or if you really don't have any inkling of what you're looking for, you might open at atlas, close your eyes, point, and then go there. Could be fun.

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:22 AM

Hi heatgrea,

Have you considered that late August will be dead winter in South America? Is that when you want to go there?

s
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reminder swandav2000. At this point we are not dead set on August, if someone really has a great recommendation for South America we would consider switching our travel time. I would like to know anyone's thoughts on whether they had a preference for Brazil, Chile and Argentina. I'm sure it will be better to post something on that list instead and will do that when I can.

My girlfriend and I are not huge lay on the beach sorts. A few hours of that is all we need for a few days. We're more of the active/tourists types. Last year we traveled around Costa Rica, rented a car, did a ton of hiking, zip lining and some canoeing. We've been hearing some good things about Portugal and Spain lately. We like to travel to a few different locations when we travel and are looking for more specific towns to focus on and what are some good things to do when we are there as far as activities, tours or things to see. We've already been to Barcelona.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:38 AM

swanday2000
It depends where heatgrea plans to go in South AMerica. I live in Salvador, Bahia, on the Northeast Coast of Brazil and we NEVER have terrible winters. It might rain, but it never gets cold.

But I would certainly not go to Spain or Southern Portugal in August: too hot!