Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Using VOIP on mobile phone in Europe - any experiences??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking a 6 month trip to Europe starting April 1 (yes I'm aware of Schengen requirements), and I'm trying to determine the best method for cummincating with people from the US. I own a US-based business and I want to talk to my customers using a US phone number. I have an iPhone 4 and it would be nice if I could unlock it for use in Europe and communicate via VOIP using GSM or Wifi when available. Does anyone have any experiences with using mobile VOIP in Europe? Has anyone tried using Skype or Google Voice from a mobile phone? Any suggestions for iPhone app, SIP provider, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM

Can't help you with IPFFhone apps but try www.sipgate.com, working quite well so far. Google voice doesn't work for making calls, it's limited to US IP adresses. You would need an IP tunnel and that would also consume quite a bit of bandwith. Incoming messages work however. Some GSM/UMTS providers try to disable Voip on their network and if it works, the data you use for Voip may cost far more than the common call abroad.
Anyway I'd throw that IPFFone into the trash and buy a decent Android ;-)
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do not understand..why do you need to "unlock" your IPhone...or do you not have any sort of international calling plan?

I use my Iphone readily in Europe (no unlocking)..i also use Skype which i have on both my Iphone and my laptop.

Sorry for not understanding the issues
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Dukey - If I get an international plan AT&T charges be $.99/minute. This can add up very quickly with the number of minutes I use monthly. Hence the desire to use some type of VOIP. If the phone is unlocked you can use a local SIM card to avoid paying roaming charges.

My other option is to buy a phone when I get to Europe and use a local plan. It would be nice to use my iPhone 4 but it's not a must.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM

There is no local data plan in "Europe". All those networks only offer data plans in their own country and data roaming for voip is very expensive.
SIM swapping is needed. So unless you have free WLAN, travelling between countries and using Voip doesn't make sense financially.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 05:27 AM

Hi, i would advise you to download Vopium (http://www.vopium.com) on your iPhone 4. You can also directly download it from iTunes app store. It works well in Europe and allows you to save the calling cost of your mobile carrier by using WiFi. Here you would only have to pay Vopium charges which are for sure less than the operators' cost.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 06:26 AM

In Europe I very successfully use an old iPhone 3gs,with the data turned off,(or you can buy a new iTouch) and downloaded a combination of Google Voice, Voice Central, sipgate, and fring to call as much as I want using wi-fi for FREE. If you "google" Voice Central, it will give you instructions on how to set it up. It's fairly easy to do and so worth it! Did I say talk as long and as often as you want for FREE? Also, you can receive calls and texts from your Google Voice number so the folks in the US have a local number to reach you. In addition, I use this system to make calls when I'm home to keep from using minutes on my cell.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Google Voice doesn't work in Europe for making or recieving calls. Did you find a way around it without using a VPN or proxy? That would be interesting indeed!
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 01:35 PM

Google Voice is used by VoiceCentral to make it work in Europe.
Go to http://voicecentral.riverturn.com/ for information on how to set it up on an iPhone or iTouch. It works great. And it's free.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 02:36 PM

anneeby:

Might this work for an iphone 3G as well, you think?
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 03:29 PM

Do you need phone access while moving around or will you primarily be using it from a fixed location, and if so, does that location have internet access.

The reason I ask is that you can sign up with Vonage, get the router and take it and a regular phone with you. You then have your US phone number and the ability to make calls to lots of places for free (or a nominal fee).

Skype works ok with a computer, but I've not tried the mobile version.

dave
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 06:01 AM

I set up VoiceCentral and Skype on a borrowed iPhone 3Gs. I used both very successfully all over Italy wherever I had access to wi-fi. It was so easy and convenient that when I got home I bought an iTouch, and set up both programs.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 06:02 AM

I am sure it also works on an iPhone 3G.
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 01:14 AM

Download Media5 softphone. Sign up with Onesuite service and configure your Onesuite account to Media5 softphone.

Now you can call via VoIP on your iPhone on WiFi connection.

Rates to US is just 2.5c per minute and you may also call European numbers for about 2c per minute.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/media...698?mt=8Media5

http://www.onesuite.com
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 01:45 PM

Bookmarking
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 04:05 AM

Hello!
If you are going to have your trip in Europe during 6 months, then VoIP is great solution for you. I am using VoIP on my iPhone 4, you can easily download AdorePhone application, it is very easy in use, and as a VoIP provider I use ABC-VoIP Ltd.
They have affordable calling rates more than 200 countries, mostly I call in the USA and Europe, as far had no problems in connections. At my work I am having wifi, also any other places with access to wifi you can make some calls even for free.
Also I have to mention that there are many options of recharging your account, moneybookes, paypal, credit cards, which is very convenient.
http://www.abc-voip.com/index.html
You can also check the calling rates: http://www.abc-voip.com/rates.php
Hope this will help you. Best regards
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 11:06 PM

Hello there,

You can use VoIP services using GSM on your iPhone as well. You do not need to block your iPhone.

I have been using VoIP services on my smartphone. Even I keep going abroad for business trips. But I do keep using the same phone using VoIP. It allows me to be virtually present in the office. I can stay in contact with my customers easily. My VoIP provider is The Real PBX and my experience with them has been excellent so far. You may check with them. http://www.therealpbx.com/voip-services.html
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 05:16 PM

I agree. $0.99/min using your AT&T line will add up quickly. Here is what I'll suggest. You will need another phonbe and a local sim card for each country. Use VOIP on the iphone or thr local sim/number for your out going calls. To receive calls on your US number cheaply, you can get a number/DID from localphone, kall8, etc. Forward your number to the DID, then forward the DID to whatever number you are using in Europe. If you change countries, just log on to the portal to direct the DID to the local number. The cost to you will only be the cost of the DID (about $1 - $2 a month) plus the cost to forward the DID to your local number.

Another option is to get a sim from say Ekit with a US number, then just forward your AT&T number to the Ekit number. Ekit charges about $0.19/min to receive calls in most of Europe.

I use this setup(the latter most of the time) every time I travel. I continue to receive calls on my US number, evenhough I may be in Jamaica, Nigeria, or UK.