Using the Same Pass for Metro and Bus

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we'll be in Paris for one month I will attempt to purchase the Navigo Découverte to cover our entire stay. I've never taken a bus in Paris before but would like the option. Yes, I've explored the very helpful thread on taking the bus in Paris Is this pass valid on metro and bus? Also, is it still that case that children under 4 ride free on both the metro and bus?
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:03 PM

JenG,

The buses are really great to use...a lot less up and down stairs, too!!

The Navigo Decouverte is good on both metro and bus. You don't even have to take it out of your purse. Just pass it by the area.

I have one that I just bought in December. I used it for one week. I will be using it when I am there for a month arriving mid April to mid May. I will have to load it weekly though as for a month you need to buy it the first of the month. I will also have to use individual tickets for my mid week arrival and mid week departure.

You need a small picture..much smaller than our passport size. They do have pictue machines at some metro stations. I did all mine at the Ecole Militaire station. They were very helpfu..some are not. I think it also might depend on the time of day that you are asking for help, too.

I don't know a bout children. I think if you go to the websites you can find out about that.

Hope this helps..

Joan
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Same pass works for both metro & bus. Don't know about kids.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Didn't know about the first of the month caveat. I guess we'll have to buy weekly as well since we arrive on the 9th. Thanks so much. I look forward to checking out the bus system. My son is fascinated with public transit here in Chicago so hoping that transfers to Paris!
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 02:36 PM

You can purchase the weekly pass several days in advance - I think Thursday is the earliest. Get metro/Bus Map # 2 to see all the bus routes, and where to pick them up.

At the stops that are sheltered (which is most of them), there is a local map posted that shows the exact location of the other bus stops in the immediate area. This is good for finding where to go to pick up a connecting bus, or where to go to catch the returing bus on the same line. Also, if there are lots of buses that stop in the same area (like R Rivoli), there will be several shelters grouped together. Look on the roof of the shelter to determine which specific bus stops where. Many shelters have displays that tell you when the next bus will arrive - they are accurate about 75% of the time, IMO. Watch out for detours where a bus may not top at a statioin because of road work on the route. This happenend several times when we were there for 3 weeks in Sept/Oct. I have never figured where to pick up buses at the Opera Garnier - I usually walk a few blocks to catch it before or after the opera stop.

You will enjoy taking the buses - I hate the metros (can't see much underground).

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM

There's a little trick to putting all the pieces of the Navigo Decouverte together, but don't worry if you don't find a helpful Metro employee. We took our cards to a nearby cafe and had four people offer to help us put them together! We printed out digital photos on plain copy paper, cut out our "heads" (approx 1" x 1&quot and used those for our Navigo cards. Worked like a charm.

Many neighborhood newstands sell an invaluable book of all the bus routes. It was our Bible for 10 days!