Bus instead of metro in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in getting around Paris by bus rather than by metro. In fact similar to the oyster card in London, where you touch the card to a reader upon entering the bus.

What do I need, bus wise, to do this? Is there a bus card? Can it be used on the metro also? Is it available easily.

I have a Paris bus map, but I am not sure where you pick up a bus for the specific routes. I have never used a bus in Paris.

Thank you for any help.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM

If you have a good Paris bus map, not just an outline one that shows general lines, it should show you exactly where the bus stops are on every line. You get on a bus at bus stops like all bus systems, and they are usually every couple of blocks.

The basic tickets and passes for transportation in Paris are good on both the bus and the metro, there aren't tickets just for the bus. You can buy individual tickets, or a pass. Any ticket or pass is easily available, you can buy them from clerks in the metro stations.

I don't know what the oyster card does, but there isn't any pass in Paris where you put on an amount and fees are deducted from the total every time you use it. Passes that exist are for unlimited travel within a certain time frame (day, week or month, etc.).
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:41 AM

By the way, an excellent overview of how to use the bus (or metro, etc) and the tickets and fares is on the Paris Tourist Office website.

go to www.parisinfo.com

then maps & transport, getting around, public transport
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:50 AM

They do have a chip card similar to the Oyster, however it can only be loaded with a weekly, monthly or yearly pass, not a pay as you go. The pass is good Monday thru Sunday. There is an additional 5 Euro charge for the chip card, which can be reused for I think 5 years, maybe 10,

You can use regular t-tickets, either individual or from a carnet. They allow transfers between bus lines within a 90 time limit. Tickets purchased on the bus do not allow transfers.

The RATP site has an itinerary function. Put in your starting address and where you want to go and check the bus option.

You can also print out the stops on various routes.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:51 AM

Sorry that is 90 minutes.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:15 AM

The name of the card is Carte Orange or Navigo now. it depends on your time in Paris as to whether it is economical for you to use since it goes from Monday to Sunday.
We love the buses.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:24 AM

I learned about Paris buses on Robespierre's "How to use the bus" thread. It was great.

He walks you through a bus route, how to read the signs, etc. Print the pages out as he tells you and learn how to relate the bus route details to what you see online on the city's map (which you'll be using in Paris). By the time we got to Paris, I wasn't intimidated -- still needed some help from my hotel figuring out best routes. Now I'm an old pro. Beats the metro hands down. Go for it!

I wish there were some way to "ping" Robespierre. Maybe a search on "Paris bus Robespierre" will turn something up. Bon chance!
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM

The busses certainly have their advantages unless you are on one which is caught in traffic..keep that in mind.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM

When you pick up your tickets/Cart Orange, also get the Metro Map #2. It has the bus lines detailed out. It's the same map you'll see at the bus stops - but smaller.

Some stops will have multiple waiting areas - so make sure your bus number is indicated on the "shelter". Also, on each shelter there is a map of all the other stops in the immediate area, so you can find the connecting stop or where you pick up the same bus for the return leg.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM

Robespierre's Paris bus instruction manual:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34987572
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:34 PM

Every bookstore in Paris (beginning at the airport and train station) sells books with every bus route and all its stops superimposed on regular maps of Paris. They give all the schedules, daily, weekend, holiday, and show you all the points where you can transfer from line to line or line to Metro or RER.

These and a "Plan a Paris", a similar book full of street maps and an index of street names, are invaluable in Paris.

There are several "brands" that differ in organization and legibility of typeface, so take time to browse and pick the one that is most helpful to you.

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM

The best books for buses are L'Indispensible and Michael Middleditch's. The bus routes are superimposed over the actual street map which is very good for buses.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM

Re Carte Orange, it used to be that a small passport size photo was required for its issuance. You may wish to check current rules to determine if that is still the case and be prepared.

Because I'm limited in mobility, we found the buses far more attractive to us because I didn't have to go up and down stairs or walk interminable distances underground. My cane always got me a seat on the most crowded of buses because certain seats are reserved for the disabled. In addition, although buses are subject to traffic jams, the mere sights and sounds of Paris are always a delight.

Bon voyage,
BigBlue
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM

The very same map(s) you can pick up in Paris are available here:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/tous_plans_pdf.php

Click on Bus Paris (avec rues).

Save this to your PC. It's a pdf file. Open the file and change to 65%. Then, center your hotel (or wherever you are staying). To print, click on Current View in the print window. Then, you'll have a one page map to fold up and tuck in your pocket.

If you want larger areas, position your hotel in the lower left, and so forth. Or, print any area of the map you please.

You can increase/decrease the scale for easier readability or more area.

On the RATP home page, you can get specific locations of the bus stops for nearby routes by entering an address and clicking on "Plan de quartier".

Note that transferring from one line to another can be confusing. You may have to walk up the street a bit or even around the corner to catch your next bus. But, almost every bus stop has the very same "Plan du quartier" posted. It's a good idea to find your next bus stop on those, rather than wander all over looking for a stop, especially at large places like Place de la Concorde, etc. Most shelters have the entire bus system map on the back.

But, sometimes there's no shelter, just a sign.

Note that all the routes are color coded, making the route numbers at the stops easier - and they match the colors of the route number on the front of the buses.