Using public bus system in Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If not renting a car, just using public bus system, is it still possible to do Napfion, Corinth, Delphi, and Meteora in 3 days. I prefer seeing archaeological sites, monasteries, not into cafes, bars, night life and prefer not to go with the tour group.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:11 PM

In short - No.

Sorry Wotravel. I have seen all of these places by public bus and your itinerary is impossible I believe. Even if you cut Meteora - your itinerary would be uncomfortably pack full of...bus travel. In such a short period of time, I would suggest sticking to one region. Nafplion makes a perfectly reasonable base for three days and you could see Corinth, Epidavros, Mycenae etc from there - even Mystras near Sparta if you don't mind a long day.

If you choose the Kalambaka area you can bus to Metsovo, see Meteora - you might be able to get Delphi in here, but it will be tight - Kalambaka is several hours by bus...
It is hard to see the Meteora monasteries without a car. I saw 4 I believe, by hiking (really far) and by taking a taxi to the top site and then back to town.

Take a look at the KTEL long distance bus schedules...this site can help http://www.athensguide.com/schedules/buses.html

MollyBrown
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM

I should mention, that I dont feel your itinerary is do-able by car either. There used to be a KTEL home site....but I can't seem to find it - maybe someone else here knows where its moved to?

MB
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:48 PM

Wotravel,
You have also posted about flying into and out of Santorini on the _same_ day (!).

Are you trying to visit all the major Greek sites in 4 days ?!

You'll likely spend all your time inside airports and bus terminals ... not most people's idea of a fulfilling journey, even if Greek transport did operate with German/Swiss precision ... which it most certainly does NOT ;-).

IMNSHO, you should reduce the scope of your itinerary to fit within your available time.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. I agree that I have to cut my itinerary. It seems to me that I have to save Meteora for my next trip. You can tell that there are so many interesting places I have a hard time to choose. I could have 4 days to do Napflion, Corinth, Epidavros and Delphi, 2 days in Athen, and 2 days for Santorini (flying in and out, or at least out by fast boat.) Is it a reasonable itinerary?
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 01:45 PM

Busy - but you could do it. That's better! I would try flying just to save time. Also boats trips can be cancelled due to bad weather.

I would try flying straight to Santorini when you land in Athens and save Athens for the end. You can fly back to Athens from Santorini and take the bus to Delphi for the night - try to leave as early as possible so you have some time to play with. Then bus back to Athens and down to Naphilon first bus in the am.

Like I said - bus but do-able.

Just be sure to show us your pictures!

Cheers,
MollyB
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

These discussions have helped me narrow my scope to a manageable area. For the next few months I can focus my reading around that area. I like to have a plan before leaving home, but I am not always stay with my original plan. Since it is not a peak season, I think I may not need to book my hotel outside of Athens in advance, that way, I can be very flexible. If I love a place and decide just to stay there, I guess that is fine too. There is always next trip.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Tom_h
You were right, those were bottom line questions that I tried to assess the transportation system there. I should not schedule my trip in that manner. I don’t trust the efficiency of any transportation system completely in any place. Even in Germany, a suicide attempt had delayed my train schedule, and caused my missing the connecting train and almost got me stock in a train station over night. Before leaving the country, a railway strike almost caused my missing the fly. Fortunately, both incidents only caused me inconvenience, and added my travel stories, but no serious consequences.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Wotravel, was the suicide attempt on the S-bahn tracks outside of Munich tracks, around Sept. 18, 07?
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

The suicide happened around the end of June 07, I was heading toward Munich direction from Weimar, but didn't know the exact location of the incident. I hope the similar incident didn't happen twice in such a short time frame. Virgogirl, were you on the train, then?