Passport Wallets for Airport

Apr 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Passport Wallets for Airport

I've never traveled internationally before, so this may be a dumb question: Are those passport wallets you wear around your neck for going through the airport a good idea--or just another thing to keep track of? I will be using a money belt for the VIP things, and carrying a messenger-style shoulder bag.
Apr 19th, 2006, 09:56 AM

I had one but it didn't close on all four sides and my passport fell out while I was standing in line. If someone hadn't picked it right up and handed it to me, I hate to think of the delays that would have happened.

I think they are a good idea but make sure they close all the way around because you might be bending over to pick up your suitcase, etc.
Apr 19th, 2006, 10:02 AM
esm

With due respect to anyone who likes the "wear around your neck" holders, I have seen them (on poeple) and they look silly.

I have a handbag which can bo worn across body and I keep my passport and boarding pass in the zipped back pocket.
Apr 19th, 2006, 10:07 AM

I think they are a good idea for when you are racing between planes but at other times I use the pocket on the outside of my handbag too. Sometimes you just don't have enough hands to quickly get to your handbag.
Apr 19th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Although I agree that they might look silly, for convenience at check-in, I do use a passport holder that hangs around my neck.

It is a very secure holder. No way for the passport to fall out. And with my hands full of other things like carry-on luggage, water bottles, cookies, magazines, sweaters, etc, I know exactly where my passport is, and it's always ready to show, every time I have to present it to a ticket agent, gate agent, etc.
Apr 19th, 2006, 11:00 AM

I have a close fitting small leather pocketbook with two zippered compartments, that's where I keep my passport and boarding pass. Very easy to whip it in and out as needed.

Does your messenger bag have an exterior pocket so you don't have to open and close the flap every time? Where you could tuck a passport and boarding pass just while you're going thru the airport business?

I like to think I am reasonably cautious and have traveled quite a bit, but a hidden money belt & a dorky tag around my neck... well personally I just couldn't do itn and don't feel the necessity.

I've also used a normal pocketbook with an exterior pocket that is easy to get at. Or I have even walked thru airports simply holding the passport in my hand, also easy enough. Once I am on the plane, I tuck it away.
Apr 19th, 2006, 11:03 AM

You can use the passport holder in the airport only. All other times your passport must be out of sight. This means you'll have one more item in your luggage to take up space. Not worth it IMO.
Apr 19th, 2006, 11:05 AM

I have one with a couple of extension straps so I can wear around my big body.
Apr 19th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Suze -

I agree with you about all these special hanging pouches, pockets etc. They're just something else to deal with - and forget. And they mark you out as a new - and probably confused - tourist - making you a mark for pickpockets.

You're better just dong something normal (compartment on outside of purse - or hold in your hand if necessary). You always have a minute to pull it out - it's not like a conveyer belt where you lose your chance if you're past the perfect spot.
Apr 19th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Degas... we talk about passport holders, not bras? (just making sure!)
Apr 19th, 2006, 11:33 AM

nytraveler- boy do i agree with you!

that's something i always advise friends new to traveling. don't buy a bunch of new gadgets or do things different than you are used to doing at home. that will lead to you forgetting or misplacing something long before you are likely to be pickpocketed imo!

that's why for women i say use one of your normal pocketbooks. a nice roomy one with a thick strap long enough to be worn diagonally across your torso at times. heck i've been carrying a purse since i was a teenager, i'm not likely to leave it behind, have it fall off, etc. like i would worry could happen with the sashes, pouches, leg safes, gadgets, etc.
Apr 19th, 2006, 11:53 AM

I purchased one of those Passport wallets (don't ask me why) and took it to the airport and wore it for about 2 minutes. I never felt so dorky in all my life I threw it away in the airport restroom.
Apr 19th, 2006, 12:04 PM

I keep mine in my front pocket of my jeans, never had a problem with it there.
Apr 19th, 2006, 12:08 PM

You'll recognize me as a dork immediately. I wear the passport wallet around my neck, not just for international travel, but to carry my driver's license and boarding pass hwen taking domestic flights as well. I HATE juggling purse, carry on, bottle of water and carry on snack and having to get out my d.l. So, despite the fact that Fodor's has spoken--it's dorky--I'm going to continue to use it.
Apr 19th, 2006, 12:16 PM

I'm with you Vera, don't care if I look dorky so I wear one too.
Apr 19th, 2006, 12:19 PM

kindly, i'm not making fun of anyone who finds them convenient... we can each only say what works best for ourselves.

Apr 19th, 2006, 12:22 PM

I thought since Maire was asking, she might want to use one. I have friends who use them on every trip. I do when I know I have a tight connection and don't want to think about my purse. I have had to run through more airports for connections than I care to think about.
Apr 19th, 2006, 12:53 PM

What I do when I fly is this. I only take my carryon bag on the plane. I do not take a carryon and a purse. My carryon has a side pocket with a zipper. I keep my passport, eticket in a small mesh bag. I have another fabric bag that holds my small wallet with credit cards, atm cards, money etc. After I am on the plane I put the passport mesh bag in the fabric bag. When I leave my seat to use the restroom while on the plane I take the fabric bag with me. My carryon fits under the seat in front of me so it is easy to get to. I pack my shoulder bag in my checkin luggage along with a small clutchbag for dinners etc.

That way I only have one item to carry while going through the airport. This has always worked very well for me.

Apr 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM

"I never felt so dorky in all my life

LoveItaly, you made me laugh out loud. I guess they do look pretty dorky, ha.
Apr 19th, 2006, 01:57 PM

I always use one. For only the time it takes to get from Check-in to the departure lounge. Then it goes in a zipper pocket on the outside of my roll aboard. Not to be seen again until the return flight.

You have to show your ticket/e-ticket and Passport or other ID anywhere from 2 to 4 or 5 times depending on how the airport and pre-screening is set up. It is sooooo easy to have all that stuff right there around your neck instead of having to reach into your handbag or carry on multiple times. Getting dressed after screening (shoes, outerwear, jewelry, etc) and I find having the "neck safe" a BIG convenience.

I usually only have it on for 15-20 minutes tops (but longer if there is a long security queue) but for that short time it is worth its weight in gold . . . .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO