Using Priceline for London hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2022, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I am seeing a really good deal on Priceline for London hotel. Checking the hotels website I don’t see these rooms available and other rooms are much more expensive. This is a four-star hotel, Taj St. James. Can I trust Priceline on this deal or are there unknown pitfalls?

thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Additionally, the same room on booking.com is much higher. I have taken into account the Priceline fees and it is still a great deal.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 06:48 AM

My London Priceline experience isn't recent, but it worked well 10 years ago.

I guess only thing was feeling a bit 2nd class citizen, when it came to requesting better view. But still.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 07:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is a difference between the PL hidden bidding side and the straight booking side. I have heard no issues with the booking a specific property but I personally have never used it. (My last PL blind bidding experience in London was probably 15 years ago)

The Taj St James is a very nice property -- My only reservation would be that you say the hotel's own website doesn't have availability of the same class of room. I use booking.com pretty frequently -- at least 2 or 3 times a year and have never had a bad experience.

The Taj is not a cheap property, what class room is PL offering and what's the rate?

One thing . . . and I am not 100% sure on this so double check . . . but I 'think' PL quotes a base rate without taxes which is not how things work in the UK. VAT will be included in the rates listed on Booking and on the hotel website. The VAT rate returned to the previous % a couple of months ago so if PL doesn't include VAT you'd need add 20%
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 07:41 AM

There is a difference between the PL hidden bidding side and the straight booking side. I have heard no issues with the booking a specific property but I personally have never used it. (My last PL blind bidding experience in London was probably 15 years ago)

The Taj St James is a very nice property -- My only reservation would be that you say the hotel's own website doesn't have availability of the same class of room. I use booking.com pretty frequently -- at least 2 or 3 times a year and have never had a bad experience.

The Taj is not a cheap property, what class room is PL offering and what's the rate?

One thing . . . and I am not 100% sure on this so double check . . . but I 'think' PL quotes a base rate without taxes which is not how things work in the UK. VAT will be included in the rates listed on Booking and on the hotel website. The VAT rate returned to the previous % a couple of months ago so if PL doesn't include VAT you'd need add 20%
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 07:42 AM

Sorry for the double post -- screen froze up and when I clicked to restore the auto-saved text, both posted . . .
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Offering $289 per night for a double for three nights Sept 21,22,23 2022, likely the smallest most basic room in the hotel.
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 05:08 PM

That seems very cheap - £234-ish . . . BUT is that with or without VAT. If VAT isn't included then it would be around £280/$345 which is still very cheap (depending on the specific dates)
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

I read Priceline’s policies and they specifically mention VAT as being included. I agree it seems too good to be true. That’s the reason for my posited question.

Thank you, Janis, for your help.
Not sure what I will do.......
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

I neglected to say there are taxes and fees on top of the $289, but the total is $1070 for three nights including the taxes and fees, which is still a very good deal!
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 08:37 PM

That is indeed a good deal, Cindy. Cheapest rate on Taj site is US$ 398/ £323 per night without breakfast for loyalty members at the lowest (Copper) level, includes VAT and basic WiFI. This is our favorite property in London - the spa is great, too.