Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Priceline : ever book hotel, cancel, stay at same hotel via Priceline?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frequent Priceline users - what do you think or know about this:

-- what if I made a cancellable reservation at a hotel, via the hotel's own site or something

--and then I bid on Priceline for the same dates, and was awarded the same hotel, and cancelled the first reservation?

I have always thought this was likely to cause a problem - is it? kind of an idle question at the moment, but occasionally I do know that a hotel of my choice MIGHT turn up on Priceline or Hotwire at the last minute . . .
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 02:31 PM

Just did it last Friday and Saturday night.

No problem. I have done it several times.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 02:42 PM

I see no problem at all with your suggestion. I doubt the hotel would even be aware of the change.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 03:48 PM

I agree with Irego: People cancel hotel reservations all the time, and the front desk probably will have no idea you ever had any other res besides PL.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:05 PM

Agree with the above - I don't think it would make any difference whatsoever, and I seriously doubt that the front desk staff would have any clue about it at the time of your check-in.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:09 PM

Not that it makes a difference, but the hotel will know. Because the res came in from a different source, the original would show as a cancel and the new PL booking would be current.

From a hotel worker standpoint.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:30 PM

Not that...but the last day of a three night Priceline stay, we decided to stay two more nights. I asked for a rate at the front desk, which was ridiculously high. Went up to our room, got online, and got the same hotel for 1/3 the price. I was totally shocked and a bit worried that we'd have to endure attitude and/or check out and check back in again. But, when I returned to the front desk, the gent couldn't have been nicer.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:31 PM

I've done similar things without problems, BUT....just to be on the safe side, after I've finally booked my FINAL reservation, I call the hotel DIRECTLY and make sure they have the right reservation.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:34 PM

Why do some people feel like they're "stealing" by booking via Priceline? Hotels participate in PL to move rooms. They don't need to sell them for cheap if they don't want to.

Some of you are worrying about nothing.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:42 PM

I did the same thing in Scotland. Tried to get a hotel near an airport and got an high rate when I called the desk. Got on line and got the room for about 1/4 of the price they quoted me. People do it all of the time. Go for it!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:50 PM

It's been a few years, but I did this too...had booked a Doubletree, decided I didn't want to spend that much ($125) for a room, did a Priceline bid for $55 and got the exact same hotel. Then I cancelled my regular reservation...no mention of anything upon check-in or at any time...it was a great feeling! Keep in mind what I read somewhere...there is nothing in business more perishable than a hotel room night...once it's gone it's gone so some money for an otherwise empty room is better than no money!
Old Apr 4th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all these replies, these forums never let me down!

I also posted the question at the Betterbidding.com forum (one of the sites that teaches you how to use Hotwire or Priceline most effectively), and I'll pass on a tip I got there - if you do this, cancel resservation #1 by using the reservation number, which helps with maximum assurance that you're cancelling the one you want to be cancelling!!