Using France Rail Saverpass on RER-line B

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the 4-trips in one month France Rail Saverpass is also valid for passage on RER-line B from CDG to Paris-Nord (as an "extra" in addition to the 4 rail trips included in the pass). Does anyone know how you present the pass for use on the RER -- e.g. do you need to use the pass to acquire tickets at the ticket desk or do you simply present the valid Saverpass for passage on the RER?
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:37 AM

To use RER B from airport to Gare du Nord (or RER C along the Seine out to Versailles and in Paris) with a railpass you must get a CONTREMARQUE DE PASSAGE, a ticket from the ticket window by showing your pass and then you use the contremarque to flip the automatic turnstiles to get into and out of the system. But you must use one of your four days to do this, thus, unless you have a day to throw away you would not want to do this as regular tickets to the airport are about $10-15 i believe. It is not an "extra" in addition to your four days - you have four unlimited travel days midnight to midnight, not four trips - you could take a zillion trips in one day and all would be covered. If taking overnight train the next day is your unlimited travel day so that you can travel from 7pm to the following midnight and only use one day on the pass. If you have any questions on France railpass call the European Rail Info Hotline, a free service where experts will give you a definite answer to questions like yours (800-441-2387). With the contremarque you must also have a valid pass - meaning using a day of travel that day - it's not extra - it was many years ago but that was changed several years ago. Bon Voyage!
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:44 AM
ira

Hi R,

>I understand the 4-trips in one month France Rail Saverpass is also valid for passage on RER-line B from CDG to Paris-Nord (as an "extra" in addition to the 4 rail trips included in the pass). <

Your railpass is valid for any 4 days in one month, NOT for 4 trips.

If you use it for the RER on day one and do not take a train somewhere else, that counts as one day on your pass.

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

PalQ, Thanks for your incredibly quick and helpful reply! We plan to take the RER to Paris Nord and than make our way to Paris St Lazare to catch a train to Bayeux. Sounds like both trips are covered as one day of train travel on the Saverpass.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:52 AM
ira

Hi R,

Yes, both trips will be covered.

Your pass must be validated before it can be used on the RER.

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:01 PM

Last year i used my Eurailpass (same as France Pass for these purposes vis-a-vis use on RER lines - i used it on RER E to go from Magenta to Saint-Lazare and it was accepted - they gave me a contremarque for that line by showing the pass - this in any case is a great way to go between Nord and St Lazare stations even if not valid. Last year RailEurope products sheets said passes were good on RER E and RER D as well as B above Gare du Nord and C, but this year E and D were omitted so don't know current status but try. RER E is a new line - a fast line that is all automatic - a futuristic metro - no overcrowding as there is a set of double doors that close before the train comes in so only a set number of people can crowd on.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:02 PM

Oh Magenta is an RER station accessible by passageways from Gare du Nord - follow signs for RER E.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 05:50 AM

If taking RER B into Nord note that US State Dept has issued warnings about thieves targeting tourists on this line. And there are two trains, one that goes direct to Nord non-stop i think and a 'stopping' train that can turn into a crowded train as it gets to Paris, picking up passengers at some of the diciest poorests areas of Paris - the notorious tower-block full crime-ridden northern banlieus (suburbs). so don't just hop the first train as that train may actually arrive at Nord later but take the non-stop one.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:10 AM

It's my impression that the trains arrive at Gare du Nord in the same sequence they leave CDG. The enroute times are (a little) different depending on whether there are any stops.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:45 AM

this may be the case if all is on time but recently i almost boarded the first train to Nord and then figured out that the train on the adjoining track which left later would get there earlier. And we did go by that other train en route when it was stopped at some station. But what Robespeter says is perhaps true - in any case avoid the local trains cuz they can get overcrowded.