Search

RAIL EUROPE FRANCE RAIL PASS CONFUSION

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAIL EUROPE FRANCE RAIL PASS CONFUSION

Ahoy hoy!
I am purchasing a France Rail Pass for two youths through Rail Europe. I am uncertain on which trains are valid with the use of a rail pass.

The website states:
"Rail pass is valid on RER Line B between Paris Charles de Gaulle airport and Paris Nord Station: Prior to boarding RER, proceed to the SNCF-Transilien ticket counter in Roissy CDG and ask for a “contremarque” voucher."

Here is the confusion, does this mean that the rail pass is valid only on the RER Line B? Or are there other trains that are usable?

Also, as I am ordering my passes, it asks for the "Departure Date From Country of Residence". We are spending a month or so around other countries in Europe prior the need of our France Rail Pass. Do I put the first day we need the pass to be used or the day that we are actually departing the United States.

We're slow, I know
Thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 08:41 AM

Don't do this! While passes can occasionally be a good deal, they are never a good deal in France. Just get them cheap point-to-point tickets by going on www.voyages-sncf.com three months out from the dates of travel and get the lowest fares available. And don't choose the English-language screen, as it will shift you automatically to Rail Europe, which charges premium prices and doesn't show all available trains.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 09:06 AM

It doesn't make a lot of sense to use a railpass for travel within a city, that is the point. YOu certainly wouldn't use up a day for that. However, the point of that note is that if by some chance you were using it that day, anyway (such as a train trip to CDG), it is good on a few RER B lines within Paris, and that is because they are managed by SNCF, rather than RATP. YOu probably don't understand that, but it is valid on rail lines operated by the national rail company, and only a few of the RER lines within Paris are. SOunds like a lot of trouble to use it within Paris, anyway.

I've bought a couple in prior years, they can be a good deal IF you really intend to take several expensive, long-distance trains, otherwise no. So make sure you need them. Now I believe seats are limited on some trains with those passes, also, they never used to be when I had them. But check that out to be sure (I know they are with Eurailpasses, I presume maybe the same with the French railpass, but am not sure). Also, when I used them they didn't have as many advance purchase discount fares as now, but that also requires sunk costs and specific plans, the railpass is more flexible on that, obviously (and last minute fares are not cheap for long distance TGVs).

As for the departure date, when you start to use them, you have to get them validated in a train station at a ticket window. That starts the clock ticking, although you do have to mark every day you use it, but it does have to be validated to start. The date isn't that specific, it is supposed to be within 6 months of buying it.

I don't know why they would ask you the date of departure from your home, but maybe to make sure you are not a European resident, as they are not allowed to buy them. Where are you buying this, anyway, I don't see anything on Raileurope requiring you to put in a date like that? But if you must, I would presume they mean exactly what they say.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 09:51 AM

The RER B line is operated by French Rail (SNCF) between Gare du Nord and CDG. I believe that the RER C is also operated by the SNCF but the other lines are not.

This means that a Pass will be accepted on the RER B line between CDG and Gare du Nord, possibly on the RER C, but not on the RER A, B (as noted, south of Gare du Nord), D, or E. However, the RER B train fare from CDG to any point in Paris (including to and beyond Gare du Nord) is 9.50€. You would not use a pass for RER travel if the daily pass price exceeded 9.50€ or possibly if you needed to connect beyond Gare du Nord.

Rail passes are fine for travel in France as long as you do not attempt to board any train requiring reservations, i.e. TGV, iDTGV, Téoz, or Lunéa. Effectively, passes are of little to no value if you are attempting to traverse the country by any means other than a local train. It can be done but it will take planning and time.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 11:56 PM

If you look on the ratp.fr web site, the only RER lines listed are A and B. Line C is definitely operated by SNCF, and apparently lines D and E are as well. Of course, if you are traveling within zones 1 and 2 with a cardboard t+ ticket or a Navigo the distinction is moot.

I learned this week that one can now add just the extra fare to the Navigo for an RER trip that goes beyond the zones you have paid for in the Navigo. Apparently this is new his year.