Using designer bags?

Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using designer bags?

I know a ton of people say to not make it look like you have anything worth stealing but I'd like to just use the bags I use at home (Marc Jacobs side bag and Michael Kors tote bag)
I'm going to Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague and Rome
Would it be a bad idea to use my designer bags in any of these cities?
I've ruled out using a backpack as my day bag - I did that on my last trip and regretted it
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
ekc

I have a handbag that I use for all of my European trips (all over Italy and Paris) because it packs flat in the bottom of my suitcase and can be worn as a cross-body purse. It has a big Prada logo across the front of it (it was a gift - I usually don't but anything with a big logo on it) and I have never had a problem.

On my next trip I am flying into Naples and will be using a LV duffel and I am not concerned at all.

Just be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 09:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Alyssa,

hopefully most people you encounter will either be impressed by your nice bags, or like me, never have heard of either make!

use whatever you feel most comfortable with and have a great trip!
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 09:49 AM

|PS - i had a look - nice bags!
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 09:57 AM

You'll be one of hundreds (if not thousands) carrying similar bags in the cities you mention, so really have nothing to worry about.

Michael Kors is much more popular in the U.S. than in Europe, so if you're going somewhere sketchy, put the Marc Jacobs inside the tote and you'll be absolutely fine...
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I use a large Nylon Prada bag, cross body or my large Mulberry satchel.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
DAX

My wife & I are packing for our trip now so your post peaked my interest as I am seeing multiple bags, shoes, & matching jackets in my wife's overpacked suitcase. I know your question is about what you carry (not packed), but it makes me think philosophically why would accessories matter so much in our travel considering we're not going to meet the people we run into.

Just a thought: A woman would blend into the crowd better if you don't carry or wear anything that screams "look at me!", unless that's the whole desirable point. That said, the only people who would notice a woman's designer bags would be other women and thieves.
Of course, as others have said wear whatever is comfortable, be it Prada or Kmart.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:03 PM

What would you carry at home in NYC or DC for a day of museums and sight seeing? Certainly in the cities you are going to, you will not stand out just because of the bags. Plenty of women use nice bags all over the world.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:10 PM

I see a lot more Michael Kors than I used to. The Frenchwoman in the office next to me carries a MK tote to work most days. But MK is a mid-priced designer and nothing to particularly catch a thief's eye, no more than Coccinelle or any other brand in that price range.

Most days I carry either a Prada leather hobo or tote like this: http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/p/Pra.../prod82150221/ I also regularly use a Louis Vuitton Trevi PM bag.

No one has hassled me. Keep your eyes open and stay aware of your surroundings and you should be fine. If you are targeted by a pickpocket, it probably won't be because you have a Michael Kors bag. Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Surely all bags are designed by designers, or have I missed the point?
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 01:20 PM

Surely all bags are designed by designers, or have I missed the point?>>

not only have you missed the point, Bilbo, but it ran straight past you without your ever seeing it!
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 02:59 PM

No one may notice as there are alot of "pretendy Fendi's" on the streets of European cities..Many can't tell the difference at a distance and neither will yoube able to do so!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:24 PM

For four decades, I've been basically carrying whatever bag that I've been in the mood to carry. I go to Europe almost annually, and have been all over Europe. I've also lived in Scandinavia whole summers for a couple of decades. I spend a lot of my vacation time in Paris and have also been to Rome and Amsterdam on your list.

I've carried any bag from inexpensive bags to my Chanel tote and other high-end designer bags, like decades of Vuitton bags. I bought my first Vuitton bag in Paris in 1980, when I was 24, and used it the entire summer in Europe. I sold it to a colleague a few years ago and she still carries it.

I'm just as cautious on vacation as I would be anywhere. Sometimes I will turn certain bags around so that the front of the bag isn't showing depending on where I'm walking. And I do also pack a low-end bag in case I'm somewhere where I don't want the high-end bag to possibly get messed up or if I'm going into an area that I know might be more problematic. But, I love my bags and buy them to use and I do indeed really use them. Have fun on your trip. Smiles.

Happy Travels!
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:44 PM

I think people who use the lovely open top designer totes are nuts on holidays.. you are not a local, you don't have 50 bucks in your bag , you can't just run to your bank to have your stolen CC or ATM card replaced instantly ,, like at home,, and pickpocketing is a problem in Paris , Rome and Barcelona( and I still love two out of three of those cities) .. so why compare yourself to a local .. you are not. You are carrying more money, you have your passport on you, you have cards that you cannot replace over seas.. think.

Take a designer bag alright, but make sure it has a secure closure ( a full closure) and an inside zipped pocket, not an open tote , or one that has one little toggle closure. Also, make sure bag is comfy to carry for hours and hours, seriously doubt most of you carry a purse and walk around all day with it, mostly you just carry it to your car, from your carar to work or mall, then back to car, you put it on the floor or back of chair at lunch ( do not do that in Europe) ..

I never bring leather bags on holiday, they are just too heavy for me to carry around for 14 -15 hours a day..and I like a bag I can carry messenger bag style to free up my hands etc.

I don't think that precludes all designer bags, I just think whatever bag you choose you should chose wisely.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:48 PM

I wouldn't worry what bag you have,it is what is inside it that any thieves are interested in.When I see so called designer bags I like most folk presume they are fake anyway.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
unclegus I think we may have to accept this is a "girl thing"
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 11:51 PM

must admit I am totally anti designer labels.hate any clothing with logos on it unless its a brewery or distillery logo and even then I am fussy.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 09:44 AM

I have a very boring beige nylon bag that i take on holiday with me - it's very light, has a load of inside pockets [some of them transparent which is v. useful] and the closure is a zip, with a flap over the top of that.

lots of fiddly bits to get in the way of the pickpockets and very anonymous.

they still gave it its on little stool at le cinq though! [you can see what my priorities are!]
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 10:14 AM

I prefer bags with a zipper, however all of my bags don't have a zipper. But, since I wear a money belt, when traveling, it's not that much of an issue.

As for designer bags and logos, my YSL, Muse, Cabas tote has no logo. Unless one knows YSL bags, one wouldn't know that that cabas is YSL. I have quite a few designer bags that either don't have a logo, like my Valextra, or either have a very small logo, like several of my YSL bags which I doubt that most would even notice. Now, of course the Vuitton, Monograms are recognizable, but my Vuitton bags are Epi. I haven't bought a Monogram bag for some decades.

Happy Travels!
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM

I think functionality is more important than the label. Most people who want to steal from others will be able to tell that you are a visitor no matter what you carry and as a visitor, chances are good that you have cash and valuables on you. A designer label might signal that you have more money, maybe not. I always take a bag that it light weight since I will carry it a lot, zips up completely for security, and can be worn cross-body when I want (security and just ease of carrying). I carry one that is large enough to fit the things I want to carry for wandering around the city, but not so large that I will get tired of carrying it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information