USAir flights

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USAir flights

I had asked this earlier but wanted to put out another feeler for persons who have already or are preparing to use this airline. I booked with them in March for a good fare but have never used them before when flying to Ireland. The trip isn't until Sept, but just wanted to be prepared. I'll be flying out of Philly and into Shannon. Thanks.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:25 AM

I've flown USAir many times domestically and twice from Newark to London. The overseas flight was on the new Airbus 320 (about 18 months ago). I loved it--clean, invidivual pull-up tv's, 2/5/2 seating, I think. Food wasn't memorable--who's is?

I've read mixed reviews on the 320, but I'd have no problem flying it OR USAir again. In fact, I always check their prices when comparing.

By the way, if this is the first time you've flown them, make sure you sign up for FF miles.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:32 AM

I flew a U.S. Airways B-767 PHL-SNN on 19 May and back on 28 May. I don't know if rhey'll have the new International Terminal completed by September but for my trip, check-in was Terminal-B and departure was from the farthest gate of Terminal-A. It's a little over a mile.

As a latecomer at Shannon, U.S. Airways gets to park at Gate-11, also a 'hike' going and coming.

Looking at the good side: we arrived at Shannon about 20-minutes ahead of schedule and I had no problem catching the 9:20 AM BusEireann to Galway (via Ennis). It's bus # 51, a thru bus from Cork.

I brought a corned beef sandwich and a couple of cans of beer in my carry-on and had a 'tailgate party' in the PAX waiting area before boarding, so I declined the meal (Chicken or Pasta).
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:38 AM
ira

Hi Keenan,

USAir is OK. If you don't expect a lot you won't be disappointed.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:39 AM

Since USAir is our major carrier we fly them a lot. They are totally comparable to any other airline. Don't know what Ira's expectations are but we find them fine, domestically and internationally. The Airbus is very nice--personal entertainment center for each seat.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:59 AM

and take note, you can now earn miles on United Airlines Mileage Plus when you fly USAirways. US Airways has also been approved to join the Star Alliance, perhaps later this year. That mean you can redeem miles on airlines like United, Lufthansa, Spannair and Singapore. LOT Polish Airlines is also schedules to join the Star Alliance.

www.staralliance.com
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 09:31 AM

Ditto what Gretchen said; here in Pgh., it's practically the only show in town. It's an airline just like all the rest.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 08:39 AM

NedsIreland,
What are the 767's like for the transatlantic flight? I've been reading good reviews for the Airbus, but not much for the 767. Thanks
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 09:03 AM
ira

Hi Victoria,

www.seatguru.com says

US Airways Airbus 330-300 (aka 333)

This large twin aisle plane is the flagship of US Airways. They are very modern, have fantastic entertainment, and used almost exclusively for US-European travel. This plane used to offer Intl. First Class service with the first row of 6 flat 94 inch pitch sleeper seats, but now just calls that row Envoy too. Regular Envoy Class seats feature an electronic recline and lumbar along with 60 inch pitch. Coach has a generous 33-34 inch pitch and is better in the front section.

US Airways Boeing 767-200 (aka 767)

The other international plane in US Airways fleet. This plane is a little older, and is lacking some of the Envoy Class seat ammenties found on the A330. The Envoy seats on this plane have a shorter 55 inch pitch and non-electronic seat controls. Coach features a 32 inch pitch.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 01:40 AM

Victoria: ira pretty well answered the question you asked me. I think U.S. Airways flys B-767 400's: a widebody aircraft like the Airbus 330. Economy there are 2-aisles: seats are 2-on the port side, 5-in the middle and-2 on the starboard side.

I always liked the 767 because it is quiet compared to some other planes on which I have flown.

Because of the late departure and the fact that they would not be serving any meal until 10:30 PM, I brought a sack lunch in my carry-on and ate it in the waiting area. So, I didn't partake of their 'chicken or pasta' offerings.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Intrepid

The really easy way to verify not only the exact equipment you'll be on as well as the seating arrangement is to call USAirways and ask, or use their website. Face it..it's an 8 or so hour "ordeal" for some of us but then again if you're flying "cheap" (i.e., in economy) like I suspect MOST people are then you can afford to stay "nicer" once you arrive...I hope, unlike myself, you can get some rest more or less sitting up. have a great trip.

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 04:22 AM

I am planning a trip to Ireland in May of next year. Does USAir serve free booze on their Transatlantic flights? If not, I guess I will be flying Air Lingus.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 09:10 AM

It is my belief that when flying economy class transatlantic, you must pay for all alcoholic drinks on US Airways.
Don't expect too much on Aer Lingus. They were pretty frugal with everything on that flight. We were offered drinks once, period at dinner. I suppose you could flag down an attendant, but do not expect to be offered repeat drinks.

I am not complaining, just stating my experience. I did not drink on the flight, anyway.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 09:37 AM
itlyen

If you're using US Airway's FF miles on a US Airways, plane, you must make all arrangements online. ALL! And their system is not fool-proof.

And you cannot access it 330 days out, if you know this rule.

If you're using one of their partners, then you must talk with someone - and it can take 2-3 days to get through.
You cannot do it online.

The code share arrangement with United may be more window dressing than reality. You have to use the 330 day rule to be sure - so book as early as possible, and it will be on the phone. There are very few FF seats, and you're competing with UAL et al customers.

Doubt this or not - this is what we are experiencing this week and last. Maddening waits and disconnects and busy signals. Something is happening and it is not good.

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:06 AM

We've used USAirways our last two trips to Europe, and enjoyed the airbus very much. If flying coach, try to get seats on the "two" sides at the front of coach (the seats are configured two - five - two). We had bulkhead seats on our way to Paris in May, and actually I didn't find them to be much more spacious than when we sat on the two side coming home. The food really wasn't that bad, considering it is airline food. The worst thing about the flight was coming home through Philadelphia, and that's not USAirways fault. Philly is notorious for not being able to handle all the people who get off international flights and must transfer to a domestic flight to get home (or their next US destination). But if you are ending your trip there, you won'd have to be herded with thousands of others into endless lines, or directed outside to another terminal a quarter-mile away.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:13 AM

The 767 has configuration in coach of 2-3-2,with it being the most passenger friendly aircraft in the sky.....It has to be 85% full before the middle seats must be utilized....so even on a large capacity flight your chances of having the "middle" seat open are quite good.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:23 AM
GAC

The 767 model which US Airways uses is the 767-200ER and NOT the larger 767-400ER (used by Continental Airlines to Europe). The US Airways 767-200 are older planes (early 1990s) and do NOT have individual TV monitors, as do the Airbus 330-300s also used by US Airways on certain European routes.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:23 AM
GAC

The 767 model which US Airways uses is the 767-200ER and NOT the larger 767-400ER (used by Continental Airlines to Europe). The US Airways 767-200 are older planes (early 1990s) and do NOT have individual TV monitors, as do the larger Airbus 330-300s also used by US Airways on certain European routes.