ExpressJet (XJet) Anyone tried them?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been noticing lately more and more XJet branded jets at the airports and was wondering how they are doing. Looking at their direct routes I could save a lot of time using them but am still a little hesitant as I value my Frequent flyer status.

Has anyone tried the new Xjet services? (not the continental or delta branded flights, but the new independent operation) How's comfort and service, how full was your flights?
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:59 AM

These guys have gotten an exemption to not file traffic and load data. So, it's unclear how full their flights are. Speculations range from:

- They must be filling up their planes well and want to avoid the major airlines to come in to compete with them on those routes;

to

- Their flights are very empty, like what happened to Independence Air. So, they don't want to scare passengers away fearing they may shut down any minute.

Anyways, XJET flies 50-seat Embraer regional jets. Comfort is same as on other carriers using them. However, they have XM radio and $1 alcoholic drinks. And XJET has been one of the best run regional airlines in the industry.

I wouldn't hesitate to book them if they offer a non-stop flight on the route you want and you don't mind losing some FF miles.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Flew ExpressJet LA(Ontario)-Colorado Springs last week and it might just have been the best domestic flight I've been on.

We were actually served food and $1 beer. The flight attendant was nice to us and XM radio was an added bonus. I like the small jets they fly, the seats were very comfortable and the 2+1 configuration means there are no middle seats. Also the fare was a little cheaper than the big airlines.

I would recommend you give them a try. Flying non-stop with service this good is worth giving up some frequent flyer miles.

I would say the flights were full or almost full each way. I have more flying planned with them (they fly to about 15 destinations from L.A./Ontario) and will keep an eye on how full the planes are as I hope they stay around for a long time.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM

I've been enjoying them. I've found over the last year that I've been willing to give up ff miles on AA to fly non-stop out of Kansas City on Midwest or XJET. The XJET flights have been all over the board in regards to capacity - service has been good - comfort, average for a coach flight. I've got another flight to MSY coming up - $160 r/t. They are also having a fly 4 get 1 one free promo.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 10:15 AM

I am reading some data on another forum. Their load factors has gone up. When they first started in April, some destinations have LF under 20%. Most are going up nicely, with some approaching 60%.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM

I just flew them non-stop between Fresno and San Diego ... the only non-stop flight available. And, really enjoyed the flight and service. I appreciated the lack of lines in check-in and the friendly people. Would definitely take them again even if I do give up FF and the LA connection!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 02:31 PM

Just want to add that XJET does have their own FF program. Fly 8 roundtrips and get a roundtrip free. Similar to Southwest.

And there's a current promotion. Fly 4 roundtrips before 9/30/07 and get one roundtrip free.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM

XJET announced 2nd quarter results today. Lost $26.4 millions, compared to a $23.3m profit last year. The loss is 3 times Wall Street expectation and the stock is down.

Load factor for XJET-branded flights was 39% for the whole quarter. Up to 65% in July, including some flights they operate for Delta from LAX. Which is not too bad, really. I remember Independence Air was flying 50% LF for many months.

They say 70% of their locations are doing well and improving, while 30% are not. So, I think one may expect some shifts in the routes. Poor performing markets may be cut.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Just an fyi that I flew XJet over the weekend from MCI to MSY. Another good flight. Service was good both directions, flights were on time (one early), snacks (sandwich or cold pasta, carrots, cookies, chips) and drinks were offered, XM radio is a nice touch, flights were full both directions and the fare was inexspensive.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Their waiver to not supply traffic data has been denied. So, today, they released August traffic.

XJET-branded flights have load factor of 63.8%. It's CO and DL feeder services has load factor of 80.6%.

Revenue passenger miles are 190 million and 808 million respectively. So, 80% of their business is still contract flying.

This means their risk exposure isn't that big with their own brand, and I have to say they're probably doing better than Independence Air had done in its entire existence, in terms of load factor.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Haven't flown them yet but booked for Thanksgiving week two weeks ago and was informed of a schedule change on Wednesday. They were operating 3x daily on the route and have cut back to 2x which I was kind of expecting. On Wednesday, I accepted their schedule change from a late morning to an early morning flight the same day but after further thought what I really wanted was to fly the day before (which was a higher fare at the time I booked). So I called back today and asked to be reaccommodated on that day's flight even though I'd previously accepted the change and they had no problems doing so. I got momentarily excited when I saw that we were rebooked into Y until my legacy carrier mentality brain realized all fare classes count the same

I had some trouble with their website initially so had to call to book (no additional charge). There seem to be quite a few more seats available for reservations to assign vs what you can select on the seat map. I have exit row reserved both directions. Either I'm not used to talking to reservations anymore or the XJet agents spend a lot of time explaining things. Call handling time must not be a factor in performance ratings

So far the pre-flight experience has been good. Will post on the actual flights next month.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 01:43 PM

XJet tried, and failed, to not report performance data <b>again</b> for Sept. Turned out their own branded flights have load factor of about 52% for Sept.

That's down 11 percentage point from August, and it's still early in the fall/winter season. It's really not going that well for them.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Our flights were about as pleasant as one can expect in coach. We had a half hour delay (due to having to off load cargo b/c of weight) on a completely full outbound and arrived 20 mins ahead of schedule on the return (which was about 2/3's full, I flew on Fri). We had good legroom in 12B/C (exit row) both directions. OLCI'd and gate checked our bags. On the morning outbound, they served a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese. Late afternoon return had a cold meal service of sandwich or pasta with a pack of baby carrots, cookies and oddly, two cough drops. Later in the flight, they offered sun chips or cheese nips.

For wally - if you join their Jet Set program, you get a booklet of 6 Jet Set Bux with your card in the mail. 1 = beer, 3 = wine or mixed drink. On Friday's flight, they offered complimentary wine for &quot;flying with them over the holidays&quot;.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 06:34 PM

Well, end of the experiment. Today is last day of XJET's branded flying, and the ended flying as DL Connection out of LAX yesterday. They will go back to fly mainly as COEX.