Urgent Passport question

Sep 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Urgent Passport question

Hi everyone. I have been planning our trip to Germany for quite awhile. We leave the 26th...this Friday. Today I looked at my passport and it expires in November 08. after we return home. I read in Rick Steves book and the US State department says your passport should expire at least 3 months after your trip. Is this manditory? Do you have to have the passport valid for 3 months after your trip???? Help, it is Sunday and I cannot get anyone on the phone til tomorrow. Exhausted the internet sources....Do you know anything????? Kathy
Sep 21st, 2008, 12:18 PM

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1123.html

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: Germany is a party to the Schengen agreement. As such, U.S. citizens may enter Germany for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. The passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. For further details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our fact sheet . Further information on entry, visa and passport requirements may be obtained from the German Embassy at 4645 Reservoir Road NW, Washington, DC 20007, telephone (202) 298-4000, web site: http://www.germany.info/relaunch/index.html, or the German Consulates in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, or San Francisco.
Sep 21st, 2008, 12:22 PM
dmlove

The passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay.

But does this mean the passport MUST be valid for least 3 months beyond the period of stay?

Sep 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM

You will probably be OK. But there are no guarantees. It isn't just immigration at arrival in Germany. The airline staff at your departure city will also look at the passport and can deny boarding.

It most likely will be OK - but they are w/i the rules to stop you.

Are you in a city w/ a passport office?
Sep 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

I am not in a passport city. However, my husband called the airline who said that for Germany my passport would have to be valid on departure of US. So Germany does not have the requirement or I would be denied boarding. They said other countries have certain periods of time the passport must be valid. Not Germany. YEAH! I thought I might have to fly to San Francisco for the day to get this taken care of. Thanks for your quick response! Kathy
Sep 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM

I would not take the airline's word on Germany's entrance requirements - they are not German officials. I would call the German embassy and get an answer you can rely on.
Sep 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM

I would fly to San Francisco and renew my passport. That's just me, but I wouldn't want the stress of worrying at every checkpoint.
Sep 21st, 2008, 04:30 PM

The last people in the world I'd rely on to have up-to-date information about German passport requirements is an airline employee. What if you get ON the plane but can't get INTO Germany?

Call the embassy.
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM

Should means must - it's just a polite way of saying so.

Will this be noticed - maybe - or maybe not. Will you be let into Germany - probably - but no guarantee. I would call your closest passport office for a single day emergency appointment and get over there and have it renewed.
Sep 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM

I'm afraid kathyelee thinks she is OK and won't check back here. I agree with the last few posters, I definitely wouldn't count on an airline employee knowing for sure that she will be OK!
Sep 22nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I am contacting the embassy this morning. Thanks
Sep 22nd, 2008, 09:32 AM

Good luck and please let us know how this comes out!