Urbino Questions

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Urbino Questions

Hi everyone,

I've been accepted into a summer program this summer at the University of Urbino and just had some general questions that perhaps some of you who are familiar with the town can answer.

I believe I have heard or read somewhere that Urbino is about two hours south of Florence. Is this correct? I also read that there is no train station in Urbino, so I would need to take a bus to Pesaro and catch the train there. How much of a hassle is this? Im assuming Pesaro is North of Urbino.

Another question...My family lives in Civitavecchia, a small port city about 45-50 minutes outside of Rome and I plan to visit with them on the weekends sometimes when I am free. If there is no train station in Urbino and I have to take a bus to Pesaro which is north (I believe) is there any other easier way to get to Civitavecchia from Urbino then going up to the Pesaro train station only to head back down south again to get to Roma Termini.

I've been to Italy many times and speak fluent Italian so getting around wont be a problem, I just dont really know my way around this area and need a little help.

Thanks in advance

Lauren
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM

I've taken buses from Foligno to Urbino and from Urbino to Ancona, much quicker to reach by rail from Rome. check the SITA (Italian bus) site, certainly better way that Pesaro from Civitavecchia/Rome. Urbino is a great old town.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Pal,

Thank you for your reply. I just want to be clear on what you are saying. Are you suggesting that I take the bus in Urbino to Ancona and then take the train from Ancona to Rome? I'm just clarifying, I didn't fully understand what you had written. If I'm understanding correctly, how long would it then be from Urbino to Ancona, in terms of the bus ride.

Thank you again. I really appreciate it.

Lauren
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:03 AM

Sorry thinking on it now i may have mis wrote i may have taken bus to Pesaro and then train to Ancona. Probably. But i definitely did take bus to Urbino from Foligno, much much close to Rome by train and it was a nice bus ride through hills. so investigate bus to Foligno area then train - maybe Urbino-Florence buses as well for another route. Urbino, supposedly where we get the world urban from (could be an urban legend for all i know)
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:04 AM

oh forgot to say that you should go to a bookstore and look at Lonely Planet Italy guidebook or Let's Go Italy - available even in Italy and they certainly will have bus info for Urbino.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:52 AM

http://www.sita-on-line.it/homecampania.htm

try the above SITA bus site but a quick look it may only be in Italian.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 11:53 AM

www.sita-on-line.it
SITA bus site for Italy buses
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:04 PM

Hi
i'm jealous, Urbino is supposed to be wonderful
i recently asked a question about the Ducal Palace there--here is a website with pictures of the palace

http://www.marcheworldwide.org/html/....asp?lingua=en
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Pal,

I've been trying to post messages in regard to your replies to say thank you, but for some reason my messages are not posting.

Thank you again for all of your help and I will be checking into the sources you have provided me with.

Lauren