Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How hard is the Bus system in Rome to navigate?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have downloaded all the maps that I can find (www.atac.roma.it) and am trying to decipher what is going on. It is kinda hard.

I have read on the boards that we can pick up a map when we get there. Will they be easier to understand?

Basically, I am wondering, will it be hard to figure out which bus to hop on to get from here to there? (i.e. from Piazza Navona to St. Peters. Or from Piazza Navona to the coliseum?)

Thanks so much...the trip is almost here!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 01:20 PM

The map that you get from ATAC will be easier to use. I've managed to take the bus to some out-of-the-way places without getting lost. My main problem has often been to decide which is the closest stop to where I am going; in general, I have found the bus drivers helpful and willing to let me know where I should get off.

I'm guessing from your post that you are staying in the Piazza Navona area. If so, you will hardly need to take a bus, except maybe to St. Peter's: the infamous 64 or "pickpocket special"; you take it on Corso Vittorio Emanuele. I don't remember which bus one takes to the Colosseum.

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 03:36 PM

We took the bus all over. We had several good maps which show the map points and the bus stops all have very good signs with route numbers saying where they go. Many many people in Rome speak English too and we found them very friendly - so you can always ask....It's not like in London where the locals won't tell you where your stop is- even when they hear you talking about it! From the Piazza Navonna- go cut over one block to the main street (forget the name) and there is a direct bus to the Vatican. Enjoy Rome - it is lovely!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 03:57 PM

I have taken the bus during my visits to Rome and really enjoy the experience. You see neighborhoods that you would normally not see by foot or taxi. I find it easy to get around via bus.

Good luck!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Buses and streetcars are easy and as previous respondant notes penetrate interesting neighborhoods
A/D
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 04:58 PM

I think the maps are confusing, but once you "think" you know which bus you take and you get to the appropriate stop, the best news is that there will be a post there listing every stop each bus stops at. So if you know where you want to go, you can easily confirm that the number (whatever) bus will stop at that stop.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 05:06 PM

As far as I recall, MANY stops are listed on the signs at the bus stops but not EVERY stop. A major point of interest like the Colosseum will obviously be listed; the closest stop to a relatively obscure early Christian church is not as likely to be listed.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I am much more comfortable with the bus situation. I guess we will just trust that when we get there we'll be able to figure it out. We normally like to have an idea before we leave, but we'll just figure this one out when we get there, once we get the map.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 05:37 PM

When I was there in the summer, it was harder to find a place to buy a bus pass, than it was to take the actual bus. No problems. In fact, I went to Rome when I was 15 (way back when), and took the bus alone all over the city. If I didn't get lost then, I guarantee you will not have a problem! Have fun!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Not sure if I should start another thread...but I have 2 more questions related to this.

Where exactly will we get a map?

What is the cheapest way to do the buses? We will be there for a week.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Is anyone there, or should I start a new thread?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 06:34 PM

There is an ATAC booth in the Piazza dei Cinquecento in front of the Roma Termini train station. I have no idea what the hours are.

The Rome tourism office, which is not that conveniently located, on via Parigi, is where I got an ATAC map years ago.

http://www.romaturismo.com/v2/en/main.asp

If you are flying into Fiumicino, it would probably be easier to go to the office there.

For information on the most suitable ticket for your needs, go to good old www.atac.roma.it, click on English, click on Fares and tickets.

If you're there a week, the CIS (click on it once you're at Fares and tickets) MIGHT be what you need. But do bear in mind that if you are anywhere in the historical centre (Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo de Fiori), you can easily walk to most places that you would want to go.

As someone who does not madly enjoy walking, I would take the bus from the historical center to the Vatican or anything beyond and to the Colosseum or anything beyond. Still, in a week in the historical center, I probably wouldn't take the bus more than 5 or 6 times (= 5 or 6 Euro) so the CIS at 16 Euro would be a very bad deal for me.

Only you can tell how many of the things you want to see are beyond walking distance for you.