Umbria or Tuscany?

Search

Umbria or Tuscany?

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2004, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umbria or Tuscany?

I live in Le Marche region of Italy, and I have never explored too much of Tuscany. I have visited only Florence, Siena, and Lucca, and I have enjoyed all of these (of course Florence is amazing), but I've never really been tempted to visit too much more of Tuscany. One thing is that, landscape wise, it is so similar to Le Marche, and I prefer exploring my own little hill towns. In the end, though, Tuscany has seemed overly touristy to me, and I enjoy off the beaten path areas the best.

However, a friend of mine is coming to visit in a week or so and this is her first time in Italy (in Europe!). She wants to visit Florence, and then we will take a train from Florence to Rome. Since we will have that trip between Florence and Rome, we are thinking about stopping in a town along the way for a day-trip/overnight. I thought this would be a good time to deal with my Tuscany phobia and visit the city of Cortona.

The other option, though, is that we could visit Orvieto in Umbria, since I think it is on that same train line (or at least nearby enough). I have extensively visited Umbria (since it is much closer to Le Marche than Tuscany and can be done in day trips), but I have still yet to make it to Orvieto.

Lastly, I WOULD like to visit Arezzo, being quite interested in the art of Piero della Francesca, but I am not sure if, other than that, the town is much to see. Mostly I am concerned about my friend in this matter, as she may not be interested in Piero della Francesca quite as much as me!

Any advice is helpful! You seem to be a good crowd to know about these cities, and it seems like I finally need advice about it! ALso, let me know if towns like Cortona are going to offer different aspects than the hill towns of Le Marche. Notable differences might make even a hill-town excursion worth it. Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:50 AM
ira

Hi Jackie,

Orvieto would be a very good overnight stop.

The funiculare is a lot of fun, the town is both interesting and lovely, and this restaurant is one of the best in Italy.

I Sette Consoli
Pzza Sant?Angelo 1A
phone/fax 39 0763 343911

Fixed price lunch in the garden is about 40E pp and worth it.
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:11 AM
DRJ

I share Ira's enthusiasm for I Setti Consoli. Its a "do not miss" in Orvieto. My personal prejudice is for Umbria since Tuscany is so touristed. I have visited Umbria for a week or so twice a year, but my concern is that Umbria is becoming Tuscanized. Recently I have spent more time in Le Marche for that reason. Buon viaggio.
Old May 21st, 2004, 05:25 AM

Logistically, Orvieto fits perfectly into your plans....and it's an A-list destination, certainly worthy of an overnight stay.
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Wow, all for Orvieto. I know though that Orvieto is also pretty touristy, and I do have a sense of it as a city since my parents visited it extensively on a trip here. It sounds like a good bet, especially with my friend coming--she'd get to see the cathedral and the walls, and the funiculare ride sounds appealing and different. With us probably planning to spend the night, is Orvieto particularly nice in the evening, or should we just head on to Rome?

Also, any thoughts on Cortona or Arezzo? I had heard Cortona was especially pretty as a Tuscan town, so I'd be interested in hearing responses on it. Plus, Arezzo would be interesting to know more about, not only for this trip, but for future trips (I'd love to do a little Piero della Francesca tour of Tuscany and Le Marche someday).

Thanks everyone! (ahh..and if I go to Orvieto, will I ever cure my Tuscan phobias? )
Old May 21st, 2004, 06:58 AM

We spent an afternooon in Cortona, and very much enjoyed it. It felt like more of a 'real' town, not as touristy as places like Assisi.
Old May 21st, 2004, 07:51 AM

I don't know what your Tuscan phobias are, but Orvieto is in Umbria!
Old May 21st, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Howard:

yes I know Orvieto is in Umbria. that's why I wouldn't cure my Tuscan phobias if I went there. Don't you see? Anyway, I wrote about my Tuscan phobias in the initial message! Weren't you listening? . (It was a long initial message, so I guess I can forgive you..)
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:29 AM

Forgive me, Jackie, I didn't realize this was the second in a series. Please don't beat me!
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Don't worry Howard, I didn't mean to be harsh!

Anyway, topping to see if anyone has any specific Cortona responses, since I have received a number of Orvieto responses already (ah, Orvieto would be proud...).

-Jackie
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

topping.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:17 AM
ira

Hi jackie,

Why not try your question at www.slowtrav.com?

They even have an Italian language section.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

good idea, Ira. sorry about my continuous toppings. I really just want to know something about Cortona, so I can make a good decision on this.

Will go to slowtrav now.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Jackie, Cortona is really pleasant, has a flat main street, and lots of steep ones too. If you are there anyday but Mon,(closed, certamente) there is a beautiful Annunciation by Fra Angelico in the Diocesan Museum along with other works. It boasts a fantastic view over the Val di Chiana. Arezzo is more difficult to enjoy, busy streets and not a hill town.

Orvieto is a joy to visit with its magnificent duomo, and if you pay a bit extra for the ticket, there is a lovely side chapel with Rennaisance frescos. Sweet life in evidence, women hanging out of shuttered windows ready to wave, nice restaurants, also fantastic views over the countryside. You have some nice choices here.

But, as noted by others, Orvieto is so perfect due to its location, right on the train line between Firenze and Roma.

Enjoy your visit either way.
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Peggyann! i was wondering, though, isn't Cortona on that same line between Firenze and Roma?

I read about the Fra Angelico annunciation, too, and thought that would be great to see. Cortona sounds cute.

Did you see the Piero della Francesco frescoes in Arezzo? I would think it would be worth it for that, alone. Anyway, I'll probably go there on my own or with my husband, instead of taking my "new to italy" friend there.

Thanks again,
Jackie
Old May 27th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Jackie, No I haven't seen the frescos in Arezzo, actually we just went there to catch the train to Florence on a few occasions while staying in Camucia at the foot of Cortona. I was thinking of visiting Le Marche this year but opted to return to Tuscany. Someday I'll get there, but I think it would prove to be strenuous and a bit daunting. Can't seem to shake the pull of Firenze and Montepulciano and the Southern part of Toscana. How lucky for you to be living in bella italia. Good luck with your decision. Peggy
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the comments. We ended up going to Orvieto and really enjoying it. I am glad I went, even though they were doing work on the outside of the duomo. Cortona (and my Tuscany phobia) will have to wait .

Next time I go to Orvieto, I hope to visit the underground tunnels (sottoterranea). Has anyone done that? My husband is a spelunker and enjoys these urban caves as well.

Thanks again!