Extra Night in Tuscany - Suggestions?

Feb 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Extra Night in Tuscany - Suggestions?

Dear Fodorites,

Please give some of your excellent advice on the Umbria/Tuscany portion of my trip. I am having a hard time finding a place in Cortona for 1 night.

Original plan:

Rome, train to Assisi, 1 nt
pick up car & drive to Cortona, 1 nt.
continue on to Montalcino, 3 nts.

I'm not locked into Cortona, could see it on the way to Montalcino and stay somewhere else, or just visit another town.

I could train to Terni, pick up car, see Spello, then stay 2 nights in Assisi. I think this would give me plenty of time to see Assisi (full day) and Cortona on the drive to Montalcino.

I am also considering staying 1 night in Gubbio or other town in the area. Any great suggestions? I don't have to stay right within the walls, a B&B, agritourismo is fine!

Grazie!
Feb 5th, 2005, 09:56 AM

You might want to consider Orvieto. We really liked the town, plus their underground tour.
Feb 5th, 2005, 10:05 AM

I have a related question. We still have one unplanned night after a week stay in Montepulciano (in the Politian apartments, Budman) before returning through Rome.

We have not been to Assisi and are considering staying there, but would also be interested in recommnendations in Orvieto or other places in the area (I am sure we will visit Orvieto in any event, but we may not get to Assisi unless it is near the end of the trip and we stay overnight).

Any recommendations?
Feb 5th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks budman,

We stayed in Orvieto 3 nights on our last trip and did day trips from there to Civita di Bagnoreggio, Deruta, and Todi. I loved Orvieto and recommend it highly, JD!

I could easily go back, but always like to sample somewhere new....
Feb 5th, 2005, 10:30 AM

jd_dallas, if you get to Orvieto, I would certainly plan a side trip to Civita di Bagnoreggio. We stayed at Locanda Rosati:
http://www.locandarosati.orvieto.tr.it/