Search

Umbria hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umbria hotels

Looking for a hotel in the Assisi area. Would like to be able to drive to it with minimal walking.3 - 4 star would be good, with a car park. Any ideas?
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Dave,

On my last trip I spent an unplanned night in Assisi and stayed at a 3* the TI referred. Hotel Porto Nuovo just outside the gate of the same name. Private parking, no additional charge. A double room for only 50E/nt in Sept 05. Absolutely nothing fancy, but very clean and quiet, which is just what I needed after being driven out by church bells in Gubbio!

The owner directed me to a great locals ristorante, Paridiso de la Terme, a short drive downhill from the hotel. Excellent!

If you want something special, stay in Spello at Palazzo Bocci!

Buon viaggio!
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Once upon a time I stayed at Casa dei Priori in Assisi. Location was perfect, within the walls in the middle of everything. Breakfast in the morning included fresh squeezed blood orange juice.

I do recall it being slightly pricey thought, and that was about 10 years ago. I would stay there again if I had the money to go to Italy!!
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Ciao Dave,

My wife and I highly recommend the Hotel Da Angelo.We have stayed at this very inexpensive hotel before. It was clean with beautiful views of the Umbria valley below. There is a nice restaurant at the hotel. Great brick oven cooked pizza!!!! It is only a 3 minute drive to the parking area just outside Assisi. You can walk to Assisi in about 10-15 minutes, it's a slight up hill walk. We just booked another stay their in May 2008 for 75,00 euro's a night. Great price for what you get. Hope this helps, Louie.

http://www.hoteldaangelo.com/indexen.html

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Resue, thanks for the suggestion. Is there parking at the hotel? we expect to be driving there and don't want to hike a long distance from the car to the hotel.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:03 PM

For another option, we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Berti which is built into the city walls. It wasn't fancy, definitely not 4 stars, but was close to the parking lot, very clean, and had a charming courtyard. We enjoyed sipping wine and watching the foot traffic pass through the city gates. It is at the opposite end of town from Hotel Da Angelo and closer to the Church. Here's the link:

www.hotelberti.it

--Annie
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:09 PM

When we went in 2003 we stayed at Hotel Umbra which is an ideal location. Not sure about parking but the stay was fantastic. http://www.hotelumbra.it/eng/home_eng.html
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 01:36 PM

Dave,

Sorry, the correct name for the hotel was Porta Nuova. I just found it on a web site by googling, but didn't see a web site for the hotel itself. Their parking could not have been more convenient.
Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM

Ciao Dave.
Sorry for not getting back sooner. Yes there is lots of parking at the Hotel. Our last stay at the Hotel Da Angelo we always were able to parked close to the Hotel, and I believe the parking is free. We found it very easy to drive around the Umbria area from this Hotel. Don't miss the castle at the top of Assisi, great views.....
Ciao, Louie.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

have now changed my approach to Umbria. Am thinking of staying in Spoleto and day tripping from there. Interested in the hill towns, Assisi in particlar.Any comments?
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 06:59 AM

Dave,

Consider staying in Spello instead! Lovely, lovely tiny town with great views. No tourist hoards. About a 15 minute drive to Assisi. Look into Palazzo Bocci****. Fabulous hotel and their restaurant, Il Mulino, is excellent.

Spello was really my favorite new place of my last trip that was 3 weeks.

Buon viaggio