Umbria for a week....

Search

Umbria for a week....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umbria for a week....

Hi everyone I havent visited for awhile, just back from several weeks in California with the kids.
Does anyone have suggestions for a trip 10 days in Italy, 7 days in one spot in Umbria as a base. Possibly a small hotel or agroturismo, with cooking school? For July, I know its short notice. We would spend 2 nights in Rome or Florence. Also reasonably priced.
Thanks
Heyjude
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:09 AM

topping...
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:42 AM

I'm leaving in a couple of weeks (yay!) for a trip that will include a week at this Umbrian agriturismo:
lecasegialle.it

It is near Bevagna/Foligno/Montefalco; it does not have a cooking school, but since the owners make award winning olive oil and are very much into the local wines and setting up wine tours, perhaps they have some contact with local cooking schools as well. Maybe worth a query to them...
Let me know what you find out, as I am interested in a one-day class myself.
Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Heyjude, we spent several wonderful days at Villa Rosa in Montemelino. I wrote a review of it for www.slowtrav.com--here's the link.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/review.asp?n=680

We really liked this place a lot. The owners are very nice and full of information about all the best places to see in Umbria and Tuscany. Villa Rosa is only 15 km from Perugia, but it feels a world away since it's nestled in the countryside. If you are interested in cooking lessons, that can be arranged very easily. It's something Megan and Lino, the owners, like to do. We stayed there a year and a half ago and I think we paid 85€ for a one-bedroom apartment. If you need more space, there's a free-standing casseta with two bedrooms. From Villa Rosa, we visited Orvieto, Perugia, Gubbio, Todi and Deruta. My parents were there last month and stayed for a month, and said there were still places they didn't have the time to visit!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:15 PM

heyjude, Villa Monte Solare south of Lake Trasmimeno is a small elegant hotel that has cooking classes at times. It is in the countryside; actually on a white road. There are great hikes nearby. The closest city is Perugia. It was a little isolated for many day trips. We spent 5 days there in the Fall.