Looking for a affordable B & B in Umbria

Feb 21st, 2008, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Looking for a affordable B & B in Umbria

My wife are looking for a B&B in Umbria that has a pool and is under $100 euro a night?
We will be there for four nights beginning Sat. June 14. Wed prefer an apartment but we figure that since we arent staying a full week, a B&B makes more sense. We will have a car and plan to spend part of our time visiting Umbrian hill towns and the rest of the time just sitting at the pool and taking in the Umbrian beauty.

Any recommendations Fodorites? Have any of you stayed at such a place recently?
Thanks.
Tuscanson

Feb 21st, 2008, 05:42 AM
DRJ

Look up lecasegialle.it (?). They may rent for less than a week. Its in the countryside near Gualdo Cataneo and a dozen km west of Bevagna.

Albergo Rosetti is a few km south of Orvieto. Great rooms, breakfast and dinner that goes on until the wine and grappa are gone.

I don't remember if Rosetti has a pool and also don't recall prices.
Feb 21st, 2008, 05:48 AM

Check out Vacanze Ideale just outside Piaciano. They have adorable little apartments for about $500 a week surrounding a complex with two pools, sauna and hot tub, overlooking gorgeous Umbrian countryside.
Feb 21st, 2008, 06:54 AM

Villa Rosa, a restored farmhouse in Montemelino, would fit the bill. There's a big salt water pool which is really nice--no smell of chlorine! It's in the countryside not far from Perugia. A young couple named Megan and Lino own it and they are very welcoming and knowledgeable. We've stayed there as have several family and friends and I've never heard anything but raves about it.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Those are three great suggestions. Thank you DRJ, StCirq and mermaid.

Ive looked at the websites and they all would fit our needs and seem reasonably priced. Not sure that all would be interested in a four day stay instead of a week but Ill inquire. It did looked like Villa Rosa and Vacanza Ideale would be open to that. Never could locate the link to Albergo Rossetti.

Any other recommendations out there? If so Id love to hear from you. And thanks again DRJ, StCirq and mermaid.

Tuscanson
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM

It's not Albergo Rosetti; it's Locanda Rosati.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM
DRJ

Zerlina: right you are!
Feb 24th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Zerlina and DRJ.

I just checked it out. It looked nice but in this day and age, why can't these very nice websites bother to list their prices?

Tuscanson
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM

My suggestion is B&B IN VILLA at Belvedere di Montefalco (www.bbinvilla.com)
I was there on last June for two nights and it was delicious, and there is the pool.
Do not miss to visit the winery Caprai, very close to the B&B and taste Sagrantino di Montefalco.

Have a lovely trip and enjoy Umbria !

Vincenzo
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:31 AM

bookmarking
Feb 25th, 2008, 06:37 AM

We stayed in Le Case Gialle in 06 for 5 nights at a price of 80 euro per night. This was in March, so the prices may be a little higher when you are going.

Have you tried e-mailing them? They were very quick with their responses.

Best wishes,
Tracy
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:34 AM

We have booked into Villa Rosa which Mermaid mentions for our trip in September. However I think the booking has to be for a minimum of a week? We are in the small house so maybe that is a different requirement than the apartments? Yes the owners are really helpful and friendly. Good Luck!
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. The more recs the better. I'd like to stay in an apartment for 4 days. Given that mid-June is reasonably high demand, I think if I ask now I'm likely to be turned down. If I wait a while so the owners can see whether they will likely be full, I'll get a better reception. Any thoughts on this.
By the way several of you have contributed to this Umbria thread that I have found very helpful too:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

And restaurant recs too. Wonderful.

Any other thoughts you have will be most appreciated.

Tuscanson

Tuscanson
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:30 AM

I think the more inquiries you send out sooner, the better. If you are clear about your dates and how many nights, it can make it easier for owners to juggle all of the other requests they get. Unless there is a strict policy about day-of-the-week arrival (e.g. Saturday to Saturday), they may end up with a few day's leeway for a shorter stay.

Good luck! We'll be in Montefalco at the end of June, and can't wait (prior to that we're squeezing in a short-stay at an apartment in Rome).
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:46 AM

I agree with adlmllr; I would make inquiries now. If you wait until closer to your trip you may not find anything available. Many B&Bs and apartments are willing to work with you if they aren't already booked. Case Gialle, for instance, shows their prices per week on their website but I could find nothing that states that they only allow rentals in one-week increments.

You may want to check out my trip report, as I mention several restaurants that we really enjoyed.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...tcreath+umbria

Tracy
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

To Tracy,
Great trip report! I'm planning to print out the relevant parts and take it with me!

To Everyone,
I e-mailed Le Casa Gialle, they are available for my dates, the price is right, the pictures are beautiful, so I'm going to confirm our reservation!

One last question to those who've stayed there: which apartment is more convenient to the pool, L'Isolina with that lovely wisteria pergola,or La Terrazza, upstairs with a balcony?

Grazie to tutto for your input!
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Tuscanson,

You are going to absolutely love Le Case. We stayed there last May for three nights and could not have been happier. As for which villa is closer to the pool you had better confirm that with Silvana but none of them are very far. Gorgeous views and a great location to do day trips from. The only problem is that it's very hard to leave! Have a wonderful time.
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Tuscanson, you will love Case Gialle! It really is as beautiful as it looks on the website. We stayed in la Terrazza and it was fairly close to pool, although none of the apartments are far from it. The pool was directly to the left of la Terrazza, and we could see it from the window in the kitchen and our balcony.

Basically la Terrazza and Il Sartino share the upstairs and Il Portico is downstairs (I think). If you are looking for the closest to the pool you may want to inquire about Il Portico. I don't recall where the other two are. I *think* one may be right next to the pool, but I don't remember.

If you go to http://www.kodakgallery.com/tracybates and pan down until you get to the "Italy March 18-28 06" album I have pictures from our apartment in Case Gialle. The pool was being worked on at the time so you really can't see what it is in my pics. Please note that the pictures aren't that great and we don't have any interior pics. We left our memory stick at home on that trip and didn't realize it until we were already in Italy. Oops! We ended up buying disposable cameras, which was an even bigger oops because many of our pics from that trip didn't come out, and the ones that did don't look that great.

Tracy
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Hi guys
Another Le Case Gialle fan; stayed there once, 2005, at the end of May.

Our group had two apts: La Terrazza and il Portico.

As Tracy described, (Hi Tracy, I feel as if I know you!) 4 of the apts are in one building. La Terrazza upstairs (the building is on a hillside, kind of a split level, so the 'upstairs' apts actually don't involve more than a couple of stairs to the front doors) is on the pool side, so you can see the pool from the balconey, off to the side.

The couple with us stayed there and liked the view from the balconey, the pretty bedroom, and their kitchen. It overlooks the olive grove & gardens instead of opening up onto them.

Il Portico, on the lower level, is not the one nearest the pool. We loved having the portico for our al fresco meals, and being right on the olive grove/lawn/garden.

The pool is close to all - no big deal!

We became friends with the couple staying in l'Isolina, which was across the pathway from il Portico. It seemed nice for a couple, as it is the only apt in its own separate building. It also is on 'ground' level.

Kind of depends which you would prefer. I liked wandering right out the door across the portico to the rose bushes, herbs, grass and the olive grove, coffee cup in hand. (This would be similar to staying in l'Isolina).

My friends in La Terrazza liked sitting in the sun on their balconey, drinking their morning coffee with a view.

On the website, in the photo under 'accommodations' you can see the buildings - l'Isolina in the little building alone, la Terrazza is the upstairs apt to the right of the photo; perhaps pool is not visable, but would be a little more to the right of the photo.

We arrived at LCG in late May and that night the fireflies began to hover in the olive grove - magical. They are not around for long, but I imagine they could be there in mid-June. (This is a big deal for those of us on the non-firefly West Coast, esp. those of us who grew up in the Eastern US and have those childhood memories!) It is a peaceful, lovely place and I wish I was there right now!
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Hi Annabelle! I feel as if I know you too....and as we both frequently praise le Case Gialle we have "seen" each other a lot these last few days!

Every time I recommend le Case Gialle I get that longing to return. Of all my travels it was one of the most peaceful and pretty places I've ever stayed. Actually, I think it's probably one of my favorite vacation accommodation choices. I loved the quietness and the beautiful grounds and our lovely apartment and waking up to that lovely view each morning. And the food around there....well, that's another topic in and of itself!

Tracy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO