Search

Umbria Base

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Umbria Base

Will have 5 days in Umbria in late October, with a car. Planning on using Foligno as a central base for visits to towns from Perugia to Norcia. Another base choice would be Bevagna.
Any comments on which would be better? Or another choice?
Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Foligno is central, but having visited it, I think that about sums up its advantages. Although I have heard that there is one excellent restaurant there...

Bevagna is small, pretty, and better equipped with hotels than Foligno.
Old May 5th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Bevagna !
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:24 PM

>> Or another choice? <<

Spello - A very pretty town and very convenient...
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's unanimous. Bevagna! And don't just think of it as a base for visiting other towns. See the mosaics of the ancient baths and the tiny jewel-box opera house. The ancient city walls and some of the town gates are in good condition.
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM

davecooker, have you picked your accommodations yet? I agree with choosing charming walled Bevagna over Foligno.

If you want to stay near (more or less) to Bevagna, Le Case Gialle is a great agriturismo:
lecasegialle.com

On an organic olive oil farm with great views across the groves to Montefalco. We drove (winding roads) to Bevagna for food shopping and dinner out one night. It is not far to Spello, Assisi and beyond.
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM

uhh, try this:
www.lecasegialle.it

that should work!
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Dave,

I stayed in Spello which I absolutely loved. Tiny, untouristed, lovely views (Assisi from the top of town), close to other towns for trips. I did Assisi and Montefalco from there. So small it's easy to drive in and out.

Stayed at Palazzo Bocci **** highly recommend. Dinner at their restaurant across the way, Il Mulino, was a highlight of a 3 week trip.

Would not recommend Foligno as a base. Too many other more scenic and charming towns!
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM

We recently stayed in Bevagna, within the town walls, in a truly lovely and extremely hospitable little hotel called Palazzo Brunamonti. Highly recommended, both the town and the hotel !!
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:19 PM

As base I suggest Bevagna, then from Bevagna it is very easy and nice to drive to Assisi, Spello, Torgiano, Foligno, Montefalco, Massa Martana, Todi.
A very nice D&B is Piazza Onofri, in the historical center of Bevagna.

Vincenzo
Old May 6th, 2008, 05:46 AM
DRJ

I agree that Bevagna is more convenient and pleasant than Foligno. However, the Foligno trattoria mentioned above is Il Becco Felicio and Salvadore is an event all by himself. No space in the interior is grafitti free. Great food from his farm and, of course, Sagrantino. Park at the RR station and ask anyone for directions. Its a local institution.

The owners of Le Case Gialle are personal friends and are most friendly and generous.

The owner of Enoteca Piazza Onofri has several small apartments near his place in central Bevagna and has a website.

If you want more info than you can use on this part of Umbria hit my initials above.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:34 AM

We have stayed in Bevagna and driven into Foligno for a wonderful dinner at Villa Roncalli.....we'd return to the restaurant anytime, but, wouldn't stay in Foligno....Bevagna was much prettier.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:41 AM

Definitely don't stay in Foligno! I'm sure it has nice restaurants, but the town itself isn't very attractive.

We too stayed at le Case Gialle and absolutely loved it. But Bevagna, Spello and Montefalco would also make nice bases. Case Gialle is a short 10 minute drive from Bevagna.

Tracy
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM

As a resident I'm pretty picky when I go away for a weekend and can recommend Genius Loci near Bevagna especially nice in hottest summer for its pool and air conditioned rooms. I think their website is www.geniusloci.it
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:20 PM

I agree 99% with dayle about Spello. The 1% disagreement is about Il Molino, which is a good restaurant with probably the most professional service in town but overpriced.

I would stay just about anywhere in the area except Foligno. If my route was Perugia<->Norcia I'd stay in Spoleto. If you're out by Norcia drive over the mountains to see the Piano Grande. The (rather vertiginous) drive itself is worth it just for the views over Norcia, but when you come around that last bend and look out over the Piano Grande it blows you away.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Don't know what I would do without the Fodorites.
Have booked a place with le Case Gialli for my October trip. So much for Foligno.
Thanks for all the input.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM

Hi davecooker
I think you will enjoy Le Case Gialle. Which apartment are you staying in?

You will still be near enough Bevagna to get a nice "feel" of the town. I was at LCG in 2005 with 4 others and we did most of our food shopping in Bevagna. Silvana can tell you the name of the pasta shop where you can try the fresh lemon ravioli, and there is a good pastry shop as well.

From Le Case Gialle you can see the little hill town of Montefalco. Go there for some nice wine tasting and dining. I remember the pasta with local saffron cheese at l'Alchimista...mmm, wish I was eating that right now.

October should be an interesting time to be there. I wonder when the wine harvest and olive harvest are?
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Dave,
When will you be at Case Gialle? My wife and I are there from Oct 11-18th.

Vance
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 05:37 PM

Dave,

Be sure to try the local wine speciality, Sagrantino di Montefalco. Excellent!

Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Take warm clothes if you're going in October! It was a chilly 7 degrees C in Montefalco last Oct.
See my trip report at www.xanga.com/urbino