What shall we do on a Sunday in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We arrive at 3 p.m. on Saturday, get settled at hotel near Marble Arch, walk around and have dinner.

We have been to London several times. DH has one full day free on Sunday; I will do museums when he is working later in the week. Any suggestions how to spend the day? How about Camden Market? Or a London Walk? Old Hamstead Village walk looks interesting. We will be there on Sunday, June 22. Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 08:15 AM

Camden Market would be great and would a walk along the South Bank Walkway - a place thronged on weekends with locals and tourists strolling along the Thames

great people watching and there's a book market and often something special going on.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM

Camden is fun but VERY crowded.

There's loads to do on Sundays. The only things that will be closed are the churches (well, they're not closed they're being used as churches) and the theatres.

The Hampstead walk could be fun - but it is very weather dependent so you might want to think of an indoor back-up. In the evening the pub walks can be fun.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM

If your hotel is near Marble Arch then you may want to take a look at Hyde Park Corner on Sundays where they have the famous Speakers' Corner where anyone can get up on soap box and pontificate on anything - in this free speech zone

That said i've visited Speakers Corner several times in recent years and it seems a spector of the lively give and take debate it was some years ago - but if you just want to see this tradition take a quick look

mainly i find nut cases here - preachers and way out politico types mainly it seems now

Speakers' Corner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Speakers' Corner is an area where public speaking is allowed. The original and most noted is in the north-east corner of Hyde Park in London, England. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakers'_Corner

Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park London
Speaker's Corner in London's Hyde Park is one of the best places to let off steam in London.
http://www.travellondon.com/template...erscorner.html

www.speakerscorner.net
Speakers' Corner in London's Hyde Park is one of the greatest places in the Universe. The Web site is intended to allow you to explore and understand ...
www.speakerscorner.net/
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:12 AM

Camden is great at the weekends, as above it will be very crowded but great for people watching, checking out the funky stalls and generally soaking up the atmosphere.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:35 AM

We planned to visit Hampstead Village on a Sunday with "Original Walks" (which looked terrific), but decided to go to an open air art show first, then went on our own.

The village of Hampstead could not be more charming. We wandered all about, up and down the hills and lanes, enjoying the architecture all about. Lots of traditonal and atmospheric pubs. There is a lot in Hampstead to explore - Keats House, Burgh House, Fenton House, Church Row and all sorts of lanes and small gardens and parks. We stumbled into a fabulous restaurant, Maxwell's, for a late lunch, where we had the "garden" nearly all to ourselves. Low prices, wonderful menu, fabulous food. Having gotten such a late start, and having spent so much time wandering all about, we grabbed a cab to take us to Kenwood House. (Good thing, because according to the tour guides, it is open until 6, but when we arrived, we noted the sign had been changed to 5.) This is one fabulous mansion with a positively fanstastic art collection. The "library" was spectacular and breathtaking with an incredible dome! Imagine a huge and comfortable "home" overlooking a glorious park and all of London below that! The views are positively sensational from the glorious gardens! Hampstead seems a world away, yet there is London in all it's glory in panoramic view below.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:52 AM

Kenwood i believe from visiting it has Sunday concerts outdoors in the garden? Free i think - overlooking London far below
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:08 AM

You have to pay for the Kenwood concerts (I'm seeing Brian Wilson there in a few weeks).

There are other cracking outdoor spaces if you have the weather - Richmond Park is wonderful as is Kew.

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Did you go to Hampstead on a Sunday, DJ? Would the pubs and possibly any shops be open on Sunday? Is Kenwood far from Hampstead?

If there are concerts at Kenwood in summer, will it be crowded on a Sunday? I went to the website but it just says there are Sunday concerts but now who or how much.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/s.../conEvent.1946

I do love historic homes and art and history so this sounds very good to me.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:45 AM

The Lion King has a Sunday matinee...

Many good London Walks...

Many many shops are open on Sunday from 1200 to 1800 (Harrods usually not)

Greenwich

Most museums are open on Sunday
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:56 AM

Would the pubs and possibly any shops be open on Sunday?>>>>>

All pubs will be open all day on sunday (from 12). It's one of their busiest days. Most of the shops will also be open apart from ones you wouldn't want to go to (like hardware or greengrocers)

Is Kenwood far from Hampstead?>>>>

It's in hampstead! - about a 15 minute walk across the heath.

If there are concerts at Kenwood in summer, will it be crowded on a Sunday?>>>>

Not particularly - the crowds will just go to and from the tube station.

I went to the website but it just says there are Sunday concerts but now who or how much.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/s.../conEvent.1946

I do love historic homes and art and history so this sounds very good to me.>>>

Kenwood's great - with fabulous art collection (it was the home of the Iveaghs - of Guiness fame).

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
yk

I have done the Hampstead Heath Walk with London Walks before, but not the Sunday one. It is a lovely walk, and nice to get "outside" of the city a bit, even though Hampstead is very much part of London. Of course, it won't be pleasant if weather is bad.

I also have been to Kenwood House. The guide of London Walks would most likely give you directions on how to get there. I went on a different day than the walk and I took a bus.

Otherwise, Dennis Severs House is open on selected Sundays. You can combine that with Spitalfields Market, Brick Lane, and Geffrye Museum.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:07 AM

We went to Hampstead by tube, walked a little in the town and then on the Heath, visited Kenwood House, and then walked up the road to Spaniard's Inn for lunch and back to the tube. It was one of my favorite days.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
yk

Another suggestion is
Spencer House near Green Park

It belongs to the Spencer Family (of Diana) and the House is only open once a week on Sundays.

I was not able to go on previous trips because I always had to fly back to the US on Sundays. I finally made it there last week.

Another HUGE PLUS is on June 22nd, the Garden of Spencer House will be open to the public as well. The garden is only open TWICE A YEAR, so it will be quite an opportunity.

http://www.spencerhouse.co.uk/garden.htm
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM
yk

Forgot to add:
If you want to read my trip report, link is below. I visited Spencer House on Day 3.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35134087
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

I loved Spencer House! Thank you for the tip on the gardens.

Thank you for the suggestions!
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:54 PM

unless things have changed you do not have to pay for the proms (not sure about other acts) at Kenwood House.

You can pay, and have a seat and see the orchestra. But many locals pack a picnic and sit on the grass. Have a chat, enjoy the music then watch the fireworks.

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:38 PM

My vote would be for Camden Town, we went there for the first time over fifteen years ago, actually my first trip to London. There is no place that I have ever seen like Camden Market, more fun imo than walks or villages.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 02:18 AM

Camden and Hampstead are a nice pairing as they are very close.

They are both on the Northern Line or if you are feeling adventurous there atre buses between the two (from memory the 24 - but double check that, it's been a while).

It's also walkable if you want to see the wilds of Gospel Oak.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Camden and Hampstead? Have to see how we are feeling that day. We could always to Camden on Sunday and perhaps Hampstead Heath on the other day my husband may have free.

What time do the concerts begin at Kenwood? The hours on the webstie state 11:30 to 4 p.m. which are the hours for the house but sashh indicates 'fireworks'. Are the concerts in the evening? Once again thanks for the great info. We have houseguests arriving tomorrow so may take me some time to check back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -