Ulm, Linderhof and between

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a short weekend car trip from North/Central Switzerland. Leave bright and early Saturday, back bedtime Sunday.

Two places, we would like to see is Ulm and the Castle Linderhof near Garmisch-Partenkirche. And we are looking for any nice sites near these places or in between that we can stop for a look.

I have heard good things about Augsburg for example. I also have heard good things of the walled city of Rothenberg but when I put the name into the AutoRoute, I come up with several different places with that name. Which one is the most talked about on this forum? If it in the area, Linderhof could be sved for next trip.

PS:We have already been to Fussen and it castle

Also, I am a bit of a Beer person and would be interested in interesting brew houses in the area if anybody knows of any.

thanks
derek
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Full name of the town you're looking for is Rothenburg ob der Tauber, and geographically it is more convenient to Ulm than Linderhof.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:12 PM

I would not bother with Augsburg, personally. Rothenburg is pretty far removed from your route. You might stop in Memmingen, southesast of Ulm, for a look-through, also an attractive old walled town but without the tourist throngs, a real city where real people live today, not just English-speaking merchants. Near Memmingen is the town of Ottobeuren, with its famous and splendiferous basilica. The Wieskirche near Steingaden, northwest of Oberammergau, is another option.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 12:16 AM

hi there,
I would also vote for the Wieskirch, but Your time is very limited. Also Rothenburg is a little bit far out of Your route. Augsburg is not so bad as told above, nive Rennaissance buildings. Other nice towns on Your way: Noerdlingen/Ries, Landsberg and (with brewerie) Zwiefalten (don't miss Blaubeuren, when going to Ulm from there)

have fun
Gar
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:36 AM

Princess- you might want to try this route: Lindau to Fussen (Neuschwanstein fom outside) to Oberammergau and Linderhof (lunch) to Wieskirche to Ottobeuren to Memmingen to Ulm. Overnight in Ulm then to Reutlingen (Tubingen) to Hechingen (Hohenzollern Castle - my favorite) to Meersburg (lunch) then ferry across the Bodensee to Konstanz then home! Somewhat rushed but should be great fun! How I envy you!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 10:23 AM

If you are a beer person, the place for you in this general region is the little town of Andechs. The monks there brew arguably the best beer in Germany. It's a nice little town and the church there is a bit of a shrine for injuries, sports teams, etc. The beer is the main attraction, however.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 06:59 AM

princess,

Allow me to second the sentiments of bmiller, who sings the thirst-quenching talents of Andechs. In addition to the quality suds and the hearty, delicious eats (by all means, bring your appetite), the Benedictine monastery of Andechs is one of the area's most popular pilgrimage sites. You can learn more at www.andechs.de.

While in that area, make a point of exploring the town of Diessen. The town has a lively arts scene, and it also features a splendid rococo building, the Augustine abbey church of St. Mary.

Best of luck.