Itinerary help - drive down the Romantic Road

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it realistic (and more importantly, will it be enjoyable) to drive from Wurzburg to Fussen via the Romantic Road in 1 day? My idea is to get an early start in the morning and make several stops along the way, visiting the main highlights along the Romantic Road. I would appreciate others' opinions! Also, how long of a drive is it?
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:08 AM
Maira

It is doable. We also did this route in one day, although it would it had been better to stay overnight at one or two places along the route (next time!). Some recommended towns to stop and visit along the route:

1) Rothenburg Ob. d. Tauber- wonderful medieval town, ramparts and all. Check out the live webcam of the main square at http://www.rothenburg.de. Their Criminal Museum is a do-not-miss. A very unique exhibition of crime and punishment throughout the ages, focusing in medieval times.

2) Dinkelsbuhl- ultimate "gingerbread" town. Charming with great cafes and memorable pastry shops. Worth a stop for a great "photo-op" plus a nice coffee/beer break.

3) Nordlingen- beautiful walled medieval town, with a unique connection to NASA's Lunar exploration! Nordlingen is nested in a meteor crater (formed about 15 million years ago!). So, in 1970, the whole crew of the Apollo 16 (main and subs) trained in Nordlingen for some of their mission items. Also, while some guidebooks point at Nordlingen as having the best preserved medieval city wall in the region, personally, I thought Rothenburg was pretty impresive.

4) Oberammergau- this is THE town (to me) not to miss. A fairy tale town, just charming, beautiful, quaint. Also, this is the town to walk around and do some shopping, specially wood crafts AND specifically, christmas ornaments (DO NOT leave Germany without a Christmas ornament!). This is where we overnighted, let me know if you need a hotel rec in Oberammergau and I'll give you the info where we stayed.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Old May 4th, 2003, 04:37 AM
jmw

Hi Laura. I love all the places Maira's just described, plus little Harburg (tiny, tiny street, fortress, stone bridge) and Mittenwald near Oberammegau. I cannot imagine doing it in one day. Truly. Isn't there any way you can squeak two days? One day north of Munich and the second south? Two very different portions of 'the road' and both gorgeous!

Old May 4th, 2003, 05:22 AM
Bootman4U

In Oberammergau two very good hotels are the Park Sonnenhof and the Wolf...the later is the quintessential Bavarian place with a million window boxes filled with flowers in the very center of Ober.

Old May 4th, 2003, 05:25 AM

Laura - it is certainly doable, but I wonder if at the end of your journey you might be wishing that you had spent more time in this enchanting area. I am assuming that you will spend some time in the Fussen area to see more of the southern section of the Road (the castles, Wieskirche, and other Bavarian towns). It is about 3 hrs to Fussen via Autobahn so I would suspect maybe 4 hours nonstop via the Romantic Road! Allowing for 3hrs + 1hr lunch in Rothenburg and 2 hours each in Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen you will have a rather rushed schedule.
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all SO MUCH for your thoughts and suggestions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Given what you've all said, I'd like to make some changes to my itinerary and would appreciate more of your feedback.
After staying in Cochem on the Mosel River for 2 nights, my plan is to get an early start on the 3rd day and drive leisurely to Heidelberg (a 2 hour drive?). I'll spend a couple hours there, and then head to the Romantic Road. I was originally planning on a
1 1/2 hr drive to Wurzburg, and making this my homebase for 2 nights. My original plan was to then have a long day of driving from Wurzburg to Fussen, which will be my next 4 night stop-over.

Given what you all have said, I'm now thinking of eliminating Wurzburg, and instead choosing a slightly more southern stopover to begin my journey along the Romantic Road. What do you think?? Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:35 PM

laura - please don't eliminate Wurzburg! It is a spectacular city with lots of ambience, excellent lodging, and restaurants. Plus excellent wine! I would drive to Wurzburg as you plan with a stopover in Heidelberg for lunch and sight seeing, arriving W'burg in the afternoon in time to take in some sights. The next morning I would further explore W'burg and leave for Rothenburg around noon planning to arrive RodT in late afternoon when all the tourist busses have left and the town really becomes charming. I would also plan to take the Night Watchman's Tour. I would leave late morning after seeing other sights before the arrival of the tourists stopping for brief visits in Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen then continuing on to Fussen. By breaking up your trip in RodT you would be able to take in the Wieskirche before arriving in Fussen. This allows you only 3 days in Fussen, but that should be adequate. Whatever - do enjoy your trip
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:05 PM

I have seen a couple of mentions of the "Night Watchman's Tour" in Rothenburg ob der Tauber. We are going to be staying there overnight on May 11th. Tell me more.
Old May 4th, 2003, 02:14 PM

Here is a web site that explains it all. www.nightwatchman.de
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:15 PM

I agree with CharlieB that Wurzburg is a worthwhile stop. I also agree with you that your trip will be more do-able if you overnight in Rothenburg. Solution? Drop the much more droppable Heidelberg and head directly from Cochem to Wurzburg instead, see the Residenz and adjacent chapel for sure, enjoy an early evening meal there, and arrive later in the evening in Rothenburg. That way, you'll be able to spend the two nights in one spot and not have to cram R'burg and the rest of the R' Road into one leg.
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:48 PM

laura--what daytrips are you planning out of Fuessen? Obviously Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles, but have you given thought as to how you will fill the other 2 to 3 days?
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

On the 1st night, I'll be arriving in Fussen in the early evening. The next day I'll tour Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles, then probably head back to Fussen just to relax. (will see Wierskirche on the way to Fussen)

The next day my plan is to see
Linderhof Castle & then visit Oberammergau and have lunch.
After lunch I'll stop in Ettal on the way to Mittenwald. Will probably have early dinner in Mittenwald before heading back to Fussen (1.5hr drive).
Was originally planning to see Garmisch-Partenkischen, but think I'd be cramming too much stuff in.

The next day I'll leave for Appenzell, Switzerland.

Am I missing any must-sees?? Thanks again!
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Bootman4U

I think you'll have covered the whole deal....and when you get to Appenzell might I suggest the Romantik Hotel Santis for your consideration..right on the village square..AND if you're in Appenzell you really should consider stopping in the abbey church in nearby St. Gallen..the interior has to be one of the most beautiful in the entire country of Switzerland..not to mention the famous library also on the premises. Finally, if you haven't been to Appenzell get ready....the scenery and environs are so Swiss picture perfect down to the cowbells on the cows you'd almost swear it was fake! Enjoy