itinerary help - 6 days in Germany/Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfirend and I are flying to Frankfurt on 2/28 (10 days from now!!!) We are renting a car and driving up to Pederborne for 2 nights (business meeting). Our flight back to the states (from FRA)is on the following Thursday (3/7).
Since this is a last minute trip without much time for research, I could use all the help I can get.
So far, this is what I have come up with:
Fri 3/2 - leave Pederborn for Rothenberg. Would like to experience one or two towns on the way to Rothenburg - Which one(s)?
I've booked 2 nights at Romantik Hotel Markusturm in Rothenburg.
Sat 3/3 - day trip from Rothenburg. Which towns?
Sunday 3/4 - leave Rothenberg for Fussen/Garmisch. Would like to see Neuschwanstein and Linderhof Castles. Any comments on seeing both castles in one day, or if we should concentrate on only one? What about other places? I'm also not sure whether to overnight in Garmisch or Fussen? We both enjoy good food and music.
Monday 3/5 - Leave for Salzburg. We've decided to skip Munich as we do not have much time and prefer the quaint aspect of small towns. Stay 2 nights in Salzberg - hotel suggestions?
Tuesday 3/6 - Take day trips - need suggestions.
Wednesday 3/7 - leave for Frankfurt for our flight back on Thursday a.m. Need a hotel that would be close to the airport.
Unfortunately that is as much planning as I have done, and would appreciate all your recommendation for day trips, hotels and even changes to the itinerary. The only reservation we have made so far is the hotel in Rothenberg.
BTW we also love classical music and operas, any ideas?
I will be anxiously waiting all your suggestions.
Thanks so much,
desparate and excited Shay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM

don't miss ludwid's mother's castle right across the town street from the entrance to neu....stein...
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Paderborn is in a pretty nice area of Germany. I don't understand the excessive driving you're doing other than to say you seem guided by the traditional touristy international tour bus version of what seeing Germany means.

My humble suggestions:

I wouldn't drive any farther than Rothenburg. It is indeed very worthwhile - go there. Nearby Nuremberg and Bamberg are wonderful as well. See the Residenz Palace in Wurzburg too - doesn't take long.

Take a little time on your way down there to explore the towns near Paderborn on the Fairy Tale Road:

http://www.deutsche-maerchenstrasse..../index_en.html

Hameln and Rinteln are unique - many other interesting towns there too.

For castles, visit some older ones rather than the 19th century versions south of Munich - maybe Coburg for your route, or something else on the Castle Road:

http://www.burgenstrasse.de/?lang=uk

Then head back to Franfkurt.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 05:30 PM

I think 1 full day is enough to stay in Rothenburg-instead of the day trip on3/3, start your trip south along the Romantishe Strasse Many small towns here with Dinkelsbuhl a gem. Stopping along here would get you closer to the Fussen Area. I would recommend seeing the castle of Ludwig's parents, henschwangau and Neuschwanstein the same day as they are very close, within walking/carriage ride distance. Save Linderhof for a stop over as you drive toward Salzburg. If you have time squeeze in the Wieskirche, a pilgrimage church.
I have been to all of these and each is lovely. Although I love Fussen, we stayed in Reutte, Austria, very near the castles.
Have fun-Gute Reise!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:05 PM
DAX

Detmold just about 15 mile northwest of Paderborn can be enjoyed during your business meeting stay oif you have time.Hameln is northeast of Paderborn about double the distance to Detmold. I'm sure you've heard of the Pied Piper from Hameln.

On the way to Rothenburg, I would recommend a stop in Wurzburg to view the imoressive Residenz and the Festung up on the hill, then just drive to Rothenburg which will be as festive as Disneyland. Technically you can stop in Marburg or Bamberg but they are both somewhat out of the way. If you want a day trip from Rothenburg, you can drive to Schwaebisch Hall on the southwest or Nurnberg which has a wonderful walled old town complete with a fort. That is assuming you're heading down along the Romantic Road to Fuessen.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM
DAX

I agree with Russ that you can stay up north and visit the Fairy tale road though it's rather hoakey if you ask me. What's great is if you drive to the Harz mountain (Goslar, Wernigerode, Quedlinburg). They are really jewel towns, but not Disney like as Rothenburg is.

Considering you already booked the Markustrum, you probably want to go there at all cost. The two classic stops south of Rothenburg is Dinkelsbuehl & Nordlingen and perhaps Feuchtwangen. Augsburg is more of a city than a small town. The twin cities Garmisch-Partenkirchen is huge so it has a lot of supplies but I prefer Fuessen for the small town atmosphere.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM
DAX

If you go to Fuessen then you may as well go to Innsbruck and take the freeway to Salzburg. Salzburg daytrip suggestion would be Berchtesgaden area or Salzkammergut mountain lake area with its prime attraction town of Hallstatt.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:21 PM
DAX

The Chiemsee(lake) by Rosenheim has a copy of Versailles built on an island with fascinating interior if you still need to see another palace. Otherwise you can drive the small hilly road through Berchtesgaden and Hitler's Eagles nest. These are all the most popular stops for first timers.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:04 AM

Never mind of a hotel near the airport of Frankfurt. If you stay in the city centre, you can catch the tube to the airport. It runs every 15 minutes and takes approx 10 - 15 minutes to the airport. There are aiport hotels (Sheraton etc.) but they are expensive and it would be a pity if you would not experience the evening in Frankfurt, if you have the chance. Just stroll around the Römerberg and along the river Main and then go to Sachsenhausen on the other side of the river and experience the Ebbelwoi (cider) and some Frankfurt food - Green sauce (herbs with something like creme double, but very fresh) is served with boiled potatoes and eggs for vegetarian, but there are solid meals for those who like that.
If you are more of the posh crowd, head to the sky scraper area and try one of the bars high above Frankfurt - classical with piano: "22nd floor" in the Eurotheum or for example the recently opened King Kamehameha Suite on the Taunusanlage, currently one of thze in-spots. You might then dine in "Holbeins", a modern restaurant on the old building of the Städel museum, or in the restaurant Garibaldi on the "Fressgass" - forget the service, but the food is good.

Have fun!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 06:14 AM

With a car, you can easily see not only Linderhof and Neuschwanstein in one day, but Hohenschwagau (across from Neuschwanstein) as well. The tours are not very long, and you are not allowed to wander about in the castles alone.

Just get the earliest tours of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau and you should be done by lunchtime. Then drive to Linderhof--it's only about 40 or 45 minutes. You can reserve tour times on castle website.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Shay, This sounds like a fun trip. In my opinion tiy will only need one night in Rothenberg. You can drive south from Rothenberg and get to Fussen in time to see Beuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. Spend the night in the area then the next day head out to Wiess Kirche, Oberammergau, Linderhoff, Ettal Monastary and then depending on the route you take go to Salzburg by way of Mittenwald.

In Salzburg we like the Weisses Kreuz and the Goldenen Ente, both in the altestadt. Plan to have dinner at the Striftskeller St. Peter right next to the Sound of Music graveyard (where they hid from the Nazis in the movie). Actually the Sound of Music tour is fun if you liked the movie.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:14 AM

For the Ludwig castles near Fussen, you can reserve tickets online ahead of time. This will help you save a little time because you wont have to wait in line to get them or wait around for your tour time. You already know what time your tour will be and you just pick the tickets up at will-call.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your inputs. I did not even know about the fairy tale road, so I will have to see how I can incorporate that in the begining of our trip. We definitely want to go to Salzburg which is why we will be traveling the entire length of the Romantic road.
So What I think we will do is to start off in Paderborn, visiting a town or two in the Fairytale Road. Stop in Wurzberg - see the Residenz Palace and Festung. Continue on to Rothenberg for the night. I understand that the nightwatchman tour does not start until the end of March. Anyone know of a good alternative?
Day 2. day trip to Nuremberg and Bamberg.
-option 1: go back for 2nd night at Rothenburg, or 2: continue south towards Fussen and stay someplace closer to Fussen,such as Dinkelsbuehl, Nordlingen or Feuchtwangen. What do you think? Option 1 or 2 and if 2, which town for overnighting?
Day 3. See the 2 Ludwig Castles and the parent's castle, since they are so close. Stay overnight in Fussen.
Day 4. Go to Salzburg, passing through Wiess Kirche, Oberammergau, Linderhoff, Ettal Monastary.
Day 5. Daytrip to Berchtesgaden area or Salzkammergut mountain lake area and Hallstatt.
Day 6. Drive to Frankfurt.
How does this sound? I know it is a lot of driving, but we're ok with that.
Thanks for your itinerary help so far, and for info on places to eat in Salzburg and Frankfurt. Can you also give me ideas about places to stay in Salzburg, Fussen and for our Day 2? Our price range is about $150-$200 oer night.
Thank you again...keep you suggestions coming.
Shay

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:27 PM
DAX

I would say Hameln is the only one worth driving to from the fairy tale road,though they may not have the free outdoor play of the Pied Piper at this time. There is a Dornroesch castle RUIN (sleeping beauty castle) where you can stop for lunch but it's really hoakey, they do weddings for Japanese couples. The other places are not worth a visit unless you have young kids. I would recommend going to Detmold instead. Just googgle it.

Dinkelsbuehl is bigger than Nordlingen but I don't have a special hotel to recommend.

In Salzburg for you can try Blaue Ente for your price range. It has a good location because it is INSIDE the oldtown. Hotel Elephant has a lot more charm & less spartan but it costs more. Some people stay outside of the oldtown to save money which is OK but some parts are not that nice. The Markustrum of Salzburg would be The Goldener Hirsch which can be booked through the Sheraton. There is also a Sheraton outside but again it's quite a long walk even though the hotel is fine & much cheaper. I wouldn't stay near the train station.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:55 PM
DAX

Salzburg Hotels & Restaurants:

1.Hotel SACHER & Restaurant: www.sacher.com. They have a formal dining and a cafe overlooking the river and oldtown. The hotel is just across the river from oldtown with a bridge connecting the hotel directly. It's a very nice grand hotel with a great location.

2.HOTEL GOLDENER HIRSCH Restaurant: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...caleoverwrite=

RESTAURANTS ONLY:
1.ALT SALZBURG: email [email protected] Tel 43-662-841476
"Alt Salzburg" is a traditional gourmet restaurant where you can dine inside a large cave in the back of the restaurant. Their service was most attentive of all the restaurants we've been to in Salzburg. It's semi formal.

2."Zum Eulenspiegel" is a narrow 5 story high restaurant that has a very nice traditional atmosphere and a very crowded bar downstairs (fun). You climb the small stairway for their standard but good traditional fare served in the five floors above the bar. Service is a bit hectic as the waiters climb up & down between floors. We've dined here a few times merely for the ambiance.
ZUM EULENSPIEGEL: Tel 43-662-8431800/FAX 43-662-8431806

Two other good but simple restaurants

STERNBRAU: multiple dining halls ( sprawling brewery restaurant) :www.sternbraue.at

K+K RESTAURANT am WAAGPLATZ: if you are looking for gourmet food for less but don't need atmosphere(gastronomic quality food in a plain/simple Austrian environment). There is a very nice formal dining room nextdoor on the second floor (Europeans call it the 1st floor) with higher prices and different menu but also good.
www.kkhotels.com/inside.aspx?code=RE&lang=en

The restaurant that Aisleseat recommended:
SANKT PETERSKELLER:The two times we ate here it was filled with foreign tourists speaking different languages. Food is OK and ambiance is good. Tel 43-662-8412680/fax 43-662-841206875.
You can view the inner courtyard(Innenhof) and various dining rooms at http://www.haslauer.at/deutsch/Stift...plettframe.htm

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:09 AM

"I would say Hameln is the only one worth driving to from the fairy tale road"

Really? Depending on your interests, perhaps. For me, the Weserrennaisance buildings in Rinteln were fascinating, the palace in nearby Bückeburg impressive. Hannoversch Münden has an eyepopping display of half-timbered homes throughout its old town. On your way to Würzburg, I'd suggest you at least stop in these places, and maybe have a meal on the way, if you have the slightest interest in old world architecture.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:57 AM
DAX

Russ has a good point. Actually every town is worth exploring. I've never been to Hann.Muenden as I followed the Fairy tale road only from Bremen to down to Hoxter with my kids where we quit and went to the Harz moutain instead. We prefer the timber houses in the Harz mountain because of the attractive hilltop setting. The Wesser river valley is just too flat. I am curious how Hann.Muenden is connected to a fairy tale. Do you know Russ? We also didn't go inside the castle near Bueckeburg since they only open a small part of it since the family still lived there but the exterior was impressive. Was it something special inside/worth the entrance fee RUSS? I'll be in the area in April and may considergoing there if it's worth the drive from Hamburg. Otherwise I was going to visit the Schwerin castle instead.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM

"I am curious how Hann.Muenden is connected to a fairy tale. Do you know Russ?"

Haven't a clue. Maybe not at all. Perhaps it's like the "Romantic" Road - several unromantic places tossed in. But it wasn't a fairy tale that grabbed me - it was the buildings, which are quite something to behold for a Californian like me.

"We also didn't go inside the castle near Bueckeburg since they only open a small part of it since the family still lived there but the exterior was impressive. Was it something special inside/worth the entrance fee RUSS?"

I was impressed, but again, I wasn't born in some palace. You sound like a guy who's pretty specific about what he likes and doesn't like. If one is in the general area, I definitely recommend it for your average American visitor to Europe. That may or may not apply to you and your specific sightseeing preferences. Remembering that Bückeburg isn't far from that flat river, I'm afraid you'll have to decide independently about the castle tour. Maybe these pics will help:

http://www.schloss-bueckeburg.de/sch...n-bildern.html
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM
DAX

Russ: Thanks for posting the nice website, it's really helpful. I'm just amazed that they have a website. I'm actually not too much into castles but we try to do one when we travel with our kids. They were the reason that we did the Fairy tale road.