UK vs US prices for Eurostar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gone through and tried every combination of ticket for London-Paris on the eurostar.

We only need a one-way, but I tried round trip as well. The cheapest price I have gotten, for two tickets, is $180 for a one-way by using the US site, though we would have to leave after 12noon.

The next cheapest was $226 (118GBP) for a round trip, but we could leave at 9am.

Could anyone tell me if this is correct? Also, am I missing a better deal somewhere? Let me know.

Thanks so much!

Eric
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM
ira

Hi eric,

>The cheapest price I have gotten, for two tickets, is $180 for a one-way by using the US site, ...<

That is the cheapest rate.

Have you checked www.whichbudget.com for flights to Orly or CDG from London?

BMI has LHR to CDG for 33GBP total.

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:57 PM
ira

PS,

If you add in the cost of getting to Heathrow from London and getting to Paris from CDG, it's probably cheaper to take the train.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Ira. I guess I will go ahead and book these then.

Take care,

Eric
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:01 PM

Try www.flybmi.com...they have some really low fares from Heathrow to CDG...you do have to add on travel to LHR (as little as £3.80 via the tube and travel from CDG via RER (€8 approximately).
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:11 PM

ericdaniels: You have several threads going so you are getting sort of piecemeal info.

What is your actual itinerary? Are you flying into London and out of Rome, and visiting Paris in between, or something else?

You say you are going to London, Paris and Rome but budget is a MAJOR issue. Besides the fact these are three of the most expensive places you could choose, w/o knowing what is set in stone - like where you are flying to/from and how long the trip is - it is hard to give you useful advice/alternatives.

$90 per person would not seem to be expensive for a comparable trip in the States, and some of your other comments indicate even museum passes cost too much.

If you were able to cut out one of the three cities it would save you a lot in transport costs alone.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Hi Janis -

I'm sorry if I am not using the boards correctly. I guess I am trying to start separate threads for separate issues. But here is my deal.

We are going to Rome for 3 nights, London for 7 nights, and Paris for 3 nights. Our flight is cheap, so that is a non-issue. We have family in London, so we sleep, and eat for free.

So that is how we can do Paris and Rome. We normally have done just Paris in the past, but found out how cheap flights were within Europe, so decided to see Rome.

Money is an issue, but not the only issue. I responded to some other people in other threads about money because I felt like any mention of money was seen as some bad thing. I am concerned about doing this economically, but I am not ridiculous.

My wife and I have been to Paris and London twice. In those trips we have seen Edinburgh, York, Oxford, Bath, and Versailles. Each trip was done under $2000 for two people, including everything. Not because we are cheap and backpack and stay in hostels, but because I am a research freak!

So---moral of the story. Money is an issue, but that doesn't mean we won't spend it when we need to.

As far as the trip, as I said, 3 in Rome, 7 in London, 3 in Paris.

We love just relaxing on our trips. I remember sitting for hours in the Jardin du Luxembourg sipping cappuccinos and watching time pass. So that is how we like to do it. But that is because our first trip to London and Paris we ran around like crazy people and saw everything. So, we have seen a lot, we know what we like to do every time we go (like see a play at the Globe), and we maximize our money.

So, that is my deal with Rome and Paris. We have been to Paris, so I am looking to get there, stay cheap, and veg. We had never done the Louvre, hence another thread on the board. But I have never heard raving reviews on it, so we have never been sure. So I wanted to see what people thought of the Vatican compared to the Louvre.

But we haven't been to Rome. So I figure that we will do a good amount of running around, but also sit and enjoy ourselves at some point. But we do want to see the big things. I have not been sure about the Vatican, and so I wanted to see what people thought about all that it has to offer. We also obviously want to make sure and hit all of the major things. But, we need to do it economically.

So, I have looked into Scala Reale, and I would *maybe* consider one of their tours, but they are so expensive. And if there is an alternative that is cheaper, but still quality, I want to find it. But, if Scala Reale is the ONLY quality tour company, than we would spend the cash. It is just good budgeting.

So that is our deal. I really appreciate everyones help, and if you think I should post differently, or have ANY more questions about our trip please let me know. I am your servant as you all are the ones guiding my trip.

Thanks so much,

Eric
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Through the flybmi site I got two tickets for $150, one way. FYI, S