Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from Paris' 7th to CDG at 13:00 for five people

Aug 15th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

I need to get my family of five (carry on luggage) to CDG for a 17:00 flight. We are taking British Airways, connecting through Heathrow to head to the US.

I was thinking of taking Metro to Opera and then catching a bus. I am thinking this only because I read it on the back of a Metro map for tourists.

Any better ideas? Also, should we arrive 3 hours before the flight, or is that overkill?

Oh, did I mention the flight is tomorrow? Gulp.

Many thanks!
Aug 15th, 2007, 12:25 AM

with 5, get a taxi but you must request a van. I would leave the 7th about 3 1/2 to 4 hrs before the flight at that time of day
Aug 15th, 2007, 04:53 AM
ira

Hi C,

Yu might want to try the following shuttle services:

www.beshuttle.com
www.paris-blue-airport-shuttle.fr/index_en.php
www.parishuttle.com

Yes, be there 3 hrs ahead.

Aug 15th, 2007, 04:57 AM

That's odd...spending money to get to the UK so you have to endure TWO frenetic departures at the worst airports in Europe PLUS pay the UK carbon tax. If you have no alternative, you have my sympathy.
Aug 15th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Robespierre,

Perhaps they broke their journey with a visit to the UK first before continuing on the France.

This is what we have done many times, though usually we take Eurostar London-Paris-London. Sometimes fare promotions make it substantially more economical to do the whole thing on BA, though the hassle factor is an issue. They may also be taking advantage of a Heathrow connection to Boston that leaves about 1920 and arrives in the late evening.

In any case, there are hassles on other routes. I lost some faith in Eurostar when a greve among Gare du Nord staff left a trainload of passengers abandoned on the platform in St Denis with no no announcements of what to do once we had left the train and no help for the elderly who needed to move luggage across many platforms to the RER into Paris.

It is/can be a hassle however you do it.
Aug 15th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Cindy -

Hope you and your family are enjoying your trip.

Definitely pre-book the van/cab today!

We were told by the property manager of the apartment that we rented that we could just call a cab the morning we were to depart.

We called several companies early the am of our departure and were told that no one could send a cab - they were all out. We wound up having to walk several blocks away and were able to hail 2 cabs for our party of 6. This worked out OK in the long run, but we were only headed to a car rental agency - not the airport.

Good luck and safe travels.
Aug 15th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

We flew into Heathrow, spent a week there, took the Channel Tunnel to Paris, and Spent a week there. I didn't want to endure the Channel Tunnel expense back to London plus a nasty trip to Heathrow, hence the need to get from Paris to CDG.

Anywhoo . . .

I was out and about and didn't see these replies, so I didn't reserve a van. I guess we're stuck with going by Metro to Opera, then Roissybus to CDG. We're Terminal 2, if I'm reading these tix right.

Any last minute words of wisdom before we set off tomorrow? I guess I will leave a huge amount of time to allow for horrific snafus and other glitches . . .
Aug 16th, 2007, 07:33 AM

I know it's too late now, but next time consider the following points:

o Open-jaw itineraries can be cheaper than round-trips (I just came back from PHX-LGW BRU-PHX for about $120 less than PHX-LON-PHX).

o The cheapest Eurostar fares are round-trips (both ways cheaper than one way), but they have to be grabbed well before your travel dates.

Best thing to do now is to relax and take what comes with some blend of resignation and optimism. Good luck.