Worst airport to fly into and out of

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the worst airport to fly into and out of in the U.S. and Internationally, and why? Thanks. Dance
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM

London Heathrow - too big, once circled the airport for an hour just waiting to land, have stood in Customs line-ups for an hour, security with machine guns adds an interesting flavour (I understand why), just too, too.

Many don't enjoy Paris CDG but I've found it just fine the 4X I've flown in and out.

Loved Amsterdam's Schiphol (sp?) the one time I flew in and out - small, well laid out, extremely friendly employees.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Domestic - LAX

LGA - New York is almost there too...

International - CDG, CDG and once again CDG

KBL - Kabul and DME - Moscow are very close second....
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Would agree that LAX is always consistantly a big pain, by design. For me though, I've got some sort of bad mojo going with DFW (Dallas - Fort Worth). I can't get through that airport, ever, without a big delay or cancellation lately.

Internationally, I got to think that are some out of the way airports that are problems, but agree with Heathrow being too big, too many meandering passageways to get from one place to the next, too many monster queues to find many positives about it. I've never been to or through CDG though. Not sure I want to, from what I've read and heard.

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:24 PM

LHR and CDG (international)

SFO and PHL (domestic)
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:41 PM

domestic: have no problems so far....

international: CDG hands down!!
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM

domestic: coming into Philly is a nightmare. Never, ever do it with less than 1.5 hours connection time.

Another nightmare: JFK.

As far as overseas: I though FCO was pretty scary.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM

These days the best airport to fly >out< of is definitely Baghdad.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Domestic: Connecting through MIA from an international flight. You walk forever and the lines are long from lots of passengers connecting from Central/South American flights

International: Connecting through NRT from anywhere. This has got to be the most inefficient airport I've ever seen. Buses, trains, and more long security lines just to connect--and limited shopping to pass your time.

DFW is my home airport--no problems for me, but I can understand it could pose problems if you were just connecting through here. I fly in/through CDG all the time and my only issues have been with lost luggage if connecting onto an AF flight.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 05:52 PM

I don't like the long walks at Heathrow, either. CDG hasn't been a problem, as I usually fly into Terminal 2 On American, and always get right of there quickly. However, the one time that I was connecting to an Air France flight to Strasbourg, it was awful - I couldn't seem to find any information as to where my gate was. From now on I'll take the train to my destinations outside of Paris!
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Sorry, but you are all WRONG!

The ABSOLUTE WORST NIGHTMARE AIRPORT to fly out of is Kathmandu Airport in Nepal. I would rather rather sleep in the same bed with Dick Cheney and a bag of Cheetos than ever go through that airport again.

I am not kidding when I say that they do FULL BODY SEARCHES 5 times before you get on the plane.

Philly is HORRIBLE for connections, especially USAir. You would be better off walking to your destination. And I live in Philly.

O'Hare is also a nightmare for connections. They make you hike 10 miles and then you have to go through security all over again.

I love LAX and Heathrow.

CDG can be bad if you get on one of those inter-terminal buses because the driver does NOT ANNOUNCE the terminals that he stops at. YOU HAVE TO JUST GUESS AND HOPE YOUR GUESS IS CORRECT.

Prague Airport is very good.

NARITA IS THE BEST, in my opinion.

Malpensa has the best shopping.

RATS run through Indira Gandhi Airport in Delhi. I am not joking. RATS!!!!!

Frankfurt Airport is a dirty dump.

Bangkok Airport makes you go through an obstacle course to get to your gate.

Istanbul Airport also has NIGHTMARE TIGHT security if you are going to the US. Plan on three hours to get to your gate.

I love Newark Airport. It is very efficient and they have good food.

The nastiest security is at Athens Airport. NASTY EVIL MEAN.

Nicest: Heathrow.

Scariest: Beijing. Guards with machine guns and attack dogs.

Hong Kong Airport (Chap lap kok) is very nice.

The gaurds at Siem Riep Airport are dumb. One guard was operating an x-ray machine for two hours that wasn't even turned on before his supervisor noticed it.

Airport that you could walk through with a bomb and they wouldn't bother to stop you: Lisbon.
Old Oct 7th, 2006, 07:37 PM

My favorite International airport is Munich.

My least favorite is Paris CDG Terminal 1.

My favorite domestic airpots are LAX and Charlotte

My least favorites are Chicago and Atlanta
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 03:43 AM

Miami is IMO hideous.

I love Heathrow, though.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 03:52 AM

MCO is a pain in the butt! Masses of people and no lines at security until just before you get to the chcek points . And for international arrivals , you have to pick up luggage for customs, then recheck it for transport into the terminal then reclaim it again!

O'Hare --international arrivals involve a hike that seems like 10 miles!

I don't mind any international arrival airport, it means I've arrived!
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 04:19 AM

My favorite U.S. airport is Portland's (OR). The approach over the Cascades is beautiful, most airport staff are very nice, it's clean, pleasant, and the Max light rail is right there.
In Europe, I'm fond of Dusseldorf because it's mid-sized and efficient. Easy to get in and out of. I also like Vienna's...check-in and security aren't very arduous, it has some nice shopping and a good wine bar. Plus after you go through passport control into the terminals, there are small free carts for your carry-on.
Brussels is clean and has good shopping, but the walks can be endless. Heathrow also has too much walking and it usually takes me an hour to go through passport control on arrival. Gatwick is neither good nor bad, just boring.

In the U.S., Philadelphia is a nightmare for international arrivals with connecting flights. I'm fond of ABE (Lehigh Valley) because I know several of the people working there. I don't mind MCO, I've never had problems checking in and it's an attractive airport with endless people watching opportunities. But international arrivals are kind of annoying, the way you have to go through a security/x-ray line AFTER you've gone through immigration.

The worst international airport I've been to was in Monrovia, Liberia. We (and everyone else) were attacked by all kinds of weird and aggressive insects that lurk in the open-air terminal. On the other hand, it was interesting to hear "Get it OFF me! GET IT OFF ME!!" in several languages.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 07:43 AM

MIA to anywhere from anywhere, WORST WORST airport. I have never been through it without some major issue.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
easy US airport in my experience: Dulles, Phoenix, San Francisco, Phoenix. Bad US airports: JFK, O'Hare

LOVE Heathrow btw!
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Worst airport: Panama City, Panama. The airport is very small, confusing and dirty.

Best: Amsterdam and Melbourn, Australia.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Of the ones I have personally flown in and out of:
San Juan, Puerto Rico
- absolutely awful - overcrowded, virtually no seating, inaudible P.A. system, huge lines, dirty washrooms.
I have been to some somewhat primitive island airports but they were ALL nicer and better run than that dump.
Old Oct 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM

I don' think I've ever made a connection, or had an on-time flight, through O'Hare.

As for CDG...there must be more ladies rooms than that one, but clearly 90% of the ladies in the airport could only find a single rest room....it was crowded in a Marx Brothers sort of way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -