Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

UK rental car companies for multiple countries

May 28th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

The latest crisis in my very late trip planning. :wall:

Can anyone recommend a car rental company in the UK that doesn't charge huge extra fees for going from England into Wales and Scotland? I learned this morning that National Car Rental considers that "going abroad" and charges a very hefty fee, on top of the expensive rental rate for a vehicle big enough for our family of six.

I really didn't anticipate this, since the country on the rental sites is always just listed as "United Kingdom". I really thought it would be just like going from state to state in the US, with all the better companies allowing it.

If there were just a couple of us, I'm sure taking trains from place to place and doing a new car rental each time would be the answer. We plan two nights in Wales, one in Liverpool, six or seven in Scotland, five - seven in London (where we don't really need a car) and the last week in Devon England.

Trying to organize all those trains and rentals and getting luggage for six people from place to place scares me senseless. My youngest son uses a wheelchair and we've learned he's three inches too short to ride in cars without his booster seat. We could get one from the rental companies, but the ones they have available seem to be more for the babies and toddlers. Getting one big enough for an 8yo might be tough, plus they are expensive. I'd rather just bring his from home.

But you can see why we'd prefer to just drive from place to place, even with the scary gas prices. We also like the freedom of stopping wherever we like along the way.

Hope someone can point me to a good solution. I'm getting a little desperate here! oh:

Thanks for all your help!

Sheila
May 28th, 2007, 05:34 AM

The policy you've described sounds very strange--afterall, Wales and Scotland are parts of United Kingdom (or I should say still, in case of Scotland). We rent Herz, have driven to Wales, no problem. On the other hand, we wouldn't tempt renting a car in UK to drive in "the Continent"...
May 28th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Try Autoeurope (www.autoeurope.com). Great service and good rates. We did a van, Scotland/London.

dave
May 28th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Welcome to Fodors. Are you VERY sure?? Where did you learn this bit of info? People rent cars from National and every other UK hire firm every single day for travel between those exotic destinations.

Now - if you meant a drop off fee - that could happen between any two cities in the UK. But a fee to cross between England/Wales/Scotland - nope.
May 28th, 2007, 06:31 AM

A drop-of fee , I can understand but how would they even know where you had been if you were returning the car to your pick up location.
May 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM

ttt
May 28th, 2007, 12:12 PM

swilshire:

Try www.nova.co.uk - car booking agency, very good rates, no hidden extra charges. Have used them many times and been happy.

Good luck and please post back out it all works out.

Sandy
May 28th, 2007, 12:15 PM

Fees for travel to both parts of Ireland aren't unknown but otherwise the only fee that could apply is a drop off fee - which could be very high if the drop off is in one of the further flung parts of the NCR empire
May 28th, 2007, 10:10 PM

No car hire company in Britain does anything as ridiculous as charging extra for taking a car to the smaller mainland provinces. As previous posters have asked, how could they know anyway?

It's perfectly possible,though, that you've been speaking to some US-based dunderhead who couldn't find China on a map. Whatever nonsense they churn out, it doesn't affect the contract you'll actually sign in Wales. Alan is quite right, though, that you might be getting confused over dropoff fees.

It'd be interesting to hear WHAT exactly you've been told, and WHO you've been told this by.
May 28th, 2007, 11:59 PM

I agree with Flanner, that's a dull perception, and any company that places such restrictions upon the vehicles they hire, would soon be out of business.

There is a possibility that insurance cover may be restricted if travelling around mainland Europe, but not here in the UK. Thats just daft.

UK policies do not automatically cover use on the continent, but within the UK !! Of course it does.

"I learned this morning that National Car Rental considers that "going abroad" "

They want to change their name then lol

Good luck

Muck

May 29th, 2007, 12:49 AM

A quote from www.nationalcar.co.uk:

For rentals originating in the United Kingdombr /> Vehicles can be taken into mainland Europe; a daily charge applies together with a charge for European Roadside Assistance. This charge will be collected at time of rental. Under no circumstances may a vehicle be taken outside of the United Kingdom without permission. Vehicles can be taken into Ireland (North and South) from Britain without surcharge, however, a charge is imposed for International Roadside Assistance in the Republic of Ireland (South). All vehicles rented in the United Kingdom must be returned to the United Kingdom. Vehicles may not be driven into Eastern Europe.

So if you can take the car to Europe you certainly can take it to Wales!!!!!
May 29th, 2007, 05:38 AM

swilshire: please come back and tell us what you "learned" from whom.

May 29th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

That info came from the official contact link for international reservations on National's website. I responded asking that the rep check the info with her supervisor. A different agent emailed back that there is NO charge.

Thanks for your responses. I was all set to start looking for a different rental company. While I am not satisfied with my rate, I haven't found anything better yet in a large vehicles. I'm going to check the other sites that have been suggested to me to see if I can do better.

Thanks,

Sheila